“Great Camp Sagamore is Great!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raquette Lake
Great Camp Sagamore
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I just spent five days at Great Camp Sagamore...enjoying the beauty and serenity of the lake and surrounding land. The food was great and the entire staff was helpful, courteous and generous. If you want a true "break" from the hustle and bustle of life, consider a stay at Great Camp Sagamore.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Wigwam Lodge and it has many sleeping rooms and four shared bathrooms all maintained...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank mchayford

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have been involved with this historic site since I was born and describing its cumulative impact on me is impossible. In fact, this review was one of the harder things I have ever written and will probably end up meandering across multiple topics and points, in a way that is incomprehensible. Let me therefore make my point succinctly: If you come into Sagamore looking for an experience, and you give it a chance, Sagamore could easily become one of your greatest loves.

Some of my first and fondest memories are of wandering its grounds and seeing its amazing staff each and every year. It's 27 buildings were constructed as a retreat for the rich that now anyone can enjoy. But, even the impressive history is not what makes me love Sagamore. It has a culture, one that permeates every square inch of its entire grounds. After my years of involvement, its hard to imagine staying a night and not falling in love with it.

While those words probably make you wonder about why Sagamore is so great, they give you no concrete reasons to visit. Sagamore is a camp in the middle of nowhere, no cell service, no masses of people and the closest stoplight is 58.6 miles away. Let me note that being so far from a major population center comes with challenges, such as limited staffing and etc. that come with requirements such as making your own bed and dropping of your sheets when you leave that add to the experience in different ways. In exchange for all of these things you see the great expanse of nature from buildings and rooms that were designed to commune with it. You get some peace away from the stress of the world. You have hiking trails that run in every direction, a lake with swimming and boats, and my personal favorite a bowling alley that is still in perfect condition despite over a 100 years of existence. The dinning hall has one of the most beautiful views of any place I have eaten from the Mediterranean to the Coast of Florida and while served buffet style by a limited staff is good, hearty food of multiple varieties. Some of the most amazing people I have ever met work at Sagamore and they would likely make your stay just as amazing as mine have been over the years.

And to an outside observer it may be the staff that gives this place its charm. But, its more than that. It inspires people in a way that transcends any group of people who have worked there over the years. It naturally attracts some of the kindest and most loving people I have met and somehow makes them better. Their good nature is infectious especially among the entertainers. Try to be there when a musical group is in, especially for a barn dance. I would never imagine myself liking barn dances but ehh its part of the magic of Sagamore. And perhaps that is a fitting way to end this review, to say that if you wish to experience this magic, you need only sign up to visit Sagamore.

Disclaimer: I have been employed by Sagamore in the past but am no longer bound to them in any way shape or form and this review is entirely independent of my working there in the past.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Alex R
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Being at Great Camp Sagamore is letting yourself enjoy a different type of break; it's like the place is welcoming you. It is definitely not a hotel, it's an experience and you leave with many memories. The staff is easy going and very helpful. The wood fires each night, the good food, the views, the quietness makes you totally disconnect from everything.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarjevane
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This 'camp' was formerly owned by the Vanderbilt's and it is a truly 'Great Camp'. It's an old historic building in a serene location--perfect for a quiet get-a-way or to pretend you were one of the rich and famous, back in the day. However, be careful as to the room you rent! We attended as part of an Elder Hostel, but you can rent 'stand-alone'. We paid a premium for a room with a private back, of which there are, I think, 6, as opposed to those with shared baths. We were in the Great Lodge, as opposed to one of the several cabins. We saw a few of the rooms with private baths, particularly one on the ground floor with a newly renovated bath complete with shower, fireplace in the room, beautiful Queen sized bed, access to the balcony and antique furnishings. For the same price, we got a hovel on the third floor, two cots, tiny window, poor lighting, no balcony, claw-footed bath tub, no shower. We were VERY unhappy. I would recommend this place, but only if you are guaranteed a specific room when you book.

10  Thank Pat G
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We booked for our anniversary. Staff were attentive & personable. Meals were tasty & of quality. Coffee/tea & fruit were available 24/7. Most buildings were unlocked at all times.The grounds were impressive, & sharing the Sagamore culture & sense of history was great. The weather & foliage could not have been better. The group of others staying helped make the weekend memorable--fires @ the "lean'to" were fun. A tour of the grounds & nearby Raquette Lake boat tour is included. Canoes, kayaks & row boats are available for use after brief water saftey rules/overview. To get to the property, you travel 4mis. off the main road, to a secluded camp.
If you must use your cell phone or watch your weekly show or will freak out at having no lock on your bedroom door, this place is not for you. :)

Room Tip: You don't choose your room-it is assigned. We shared a bath & there were no issues with wait...
2  Thank Betty_Mike2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We arrived Friday evening for dinner and departed on Sunday after breakfast. A very lovely old and one of the few great camps open to the public. Well worth the price, rooms are rustic (as they should be) and very nice staff. The food was great. There were about 60 people there on our September weekend and everyone had a great time. Very secluded and private.

Room Tip: Rooms are assigned and not reserved on our weekend.
1  Thank Hartwickvisitor
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Normally, I prefer sidewalks and subways to trees and lakes and my husband had enough camping as a Boy Scout. Sagamore Great Camp provided enough civilized comforts to allow us to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings of a "rustic" luxury "camp" and an elegant lake. The cloud formations reflecting off the surface of the lake, morning, noon and night, made it easy to see the attraction for poets and painters. I would recommend it. There are caveats, however. The food was mediocre but plentiful. The meals are only served for 45 minutes. Latecomers are out of luck. We had a spacious cottage with a private bathroom, a necessity at our age. But the bed was a standard double, much too small for the two of us. Fortunately there was another small bed in the front room of the cabin - without sheets, which had to be requested on the second day. One of their more ridiculous customs was to have guests strip their own beds and sort the laundry. But on the whole, it was a very positive experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bea B

Been to Great Camp Sagamore? Share your experiences!