“Get a look at how the Vanderbilts "played" a hundred years ago”

Sagamore National Historic Landmark Tours
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Two hour guided tour of the Vanderbilts' "Great Camp" Sagamore, where they typically stayed through August each Summer and perhaps Christmas as well. You see where the "man-cave" was, you visit inside the main hall, the dining hall, and a few other buildings. The guide was very knowledgable, being a degreed historian who studied this. If you have seen other places the rich enjoyed, like San Simeon Hearst Castle or the Newport RI "Cottages," etc., then this is a must.

There are newer reviews for Sagamore National Historic Landmark Tours

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Enjoyed listening to how the Vanderbilts lived but disappointed we were not able to tour the inside of the buildings.

1  Thank Kristine J
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Find out how the super rich lived at the turn of twentieth century. Very interesting, long tour but did not see much inside the buildings. Lot of walking from building to building, friendly guode.

1  Thank dairyboy
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My friend and I thought we would see the famous Adk Great Camp and learn of its rich history. I enjoyed that part of the tour but because they don't let you mingle or go into any of the guest areas, you really don't see that much of the individual structures except for the old workers quarters on that side of the property. I feel like what I learned from the tour I could have done myself by reading a book or in photographs. I think to truly experience the camp you would need to stay there. Photos were only allowed in certain areas as well and they stresssed that to protect the privacy of the guests. I felt rushed through parts of the tour and the entire camp was a lot smaller than I had expected. A film was shown at the beginning of the tour which was approximately 30 mins long. If you go in May or June, you can expect to be attacked by black flies but they give you netting and plenty of bug spray to use! (Thank Goodness), I am not sure about the mosquitoes. They do have some items on display as well ~ ie: an old sled, an Adk guide boat, etc.... The tour guide seemed nice, she wasn't that familar with the area but seemed to learn fast. Our group was very small, only about 10 of us with older children included. I am afraid that younger children would be bored to death. My favorite place was the indoor/outdoor bowling alley. The gift shop was limited and the hard packed dirt road leading back to Lake Sagamore & the camp is long, dusty but suprisingly smooth for an unpaved road.

1  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We signed up for the Sagamore Tour at the Adirondack museum, an hour or so away in Blue Mtn. Lake. We arrived about five minutes after the appointed starting time of 1:30.
As the second-to-last one in the door of the, ahem, gift shop, I let the screen door close behind me. The gift shop attendant said, rudely, "Close the door!" I returned and closed the screen door. She uttered, "Not that door [idiot], and proceeded to come from behind the counter to close the outside door (in mid-July) herself. I mention that I was second-to-last, only because my cousin, the laggard of our party, entered the "gift shop," only to receive the same welcoming treatment as I had.

Thusly prepared for the two hour (closer to 3.5 hours) tour, we proceeded downhill to the somewhat interesting facts, and many speculations, about the historical figures (Durant, the Vanderbilts, the Morgans) who inhabited the buildings and grounds of Sagamore.

Buggy in the summer, not cheap, and a long way from population centers (part of its charm, I suppose). Caveat emptor.

2  Thank ProRecreator