“Don't waste your time.”

Sagamore National Historic Landmark Tours
Reviewed 7 October 2012

It starts with a 30 minutes really old slide show. Next we stood in the rain and listened to the tour director tell us about the workers quarters (while standing in the rain). When we finally got to go INTO a building we were told they were doing a music program and to respect the privacy of the people staying there and DO NOT look into any windows, or open any doors. We stood in the middle of a banjo class for about five minutes, then out into the rain again. An hour into the "tour" we finally made it to the great lodge... and into the middle of a music class. The tour guide talked about the fire place for about five minutes then out into the rain. Getting the picture? We've done many house tours and this was a bust. Don't go.

1  Thank margo b
"classes"
"video"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Two hour guided tour of the Vanderbilts' "Great Camp" Sagamore, where they typically stayed through August each Summer and perhaps Christmas as well. You see where the "man-cave" was, you visit inside the main hall, the dining hall, and a few other buildings. The guide was very knowledgable, being a degreed historian who studied this. If you have seen other places the rich enjoyed, like San Simeon Hearst Castle or the Newport RI "Cottages," etc., then this is a must.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Enjoyed listening to how the Vanderbilts lived but disappointed we were not able to tour the inside of the buildings.

1  Thank Kristine J
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Find out how the super rich lived at the turn of twentieth century. Very interesting, long tour but did not see much inside the buildings. Lot of walking from building to building, friendly guode.

1  Thank dairyboy
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My friend and I thought we would see the famous Adk Great Camp and learn of its rich history. I enjoyed that part of the tour but because they don't let you mingle or go into any of the guest areas, you really don't see that much of the individual structures except for the old workers quarters on that side of the property. I feel like what I learned from the tour I could have done myself by reading a book or in photographs. I think to truly experience the camp you would need to stay there. Photos were only allowed in certain areas as well and they stresssed that to protect the privacy of the guests. I felt rushed through parts of the tour and the entire camp was a lot smaller than I had expected. A film was shown at the beginning of the tour which was approximately 30 mins long. If you go in May or June, you can expect to be attacked by black flies but they give you netting and plenty of bug spray to use! (Thank Goodness), I am not sure about the mosquitoes. They do have some items on display as well ~ ie: an old sled, an Adk guide boat, etc.... The tour guide seemed nice, she wasn't that familar with the area but seemed to learn fast. Our group was very small, only about 10 of us with older children included. I am afraid that younger children would be bored to death. My favorite place was the indoor/outdoor bowling alley. The gift shop was limited and the hard packed dirt road leading back to Lake Sagamore & the camp is long, dusty but suprisingly smooth for an unpaved road.

1  Thank Lisa P