“CRAP”

Tail O'The Pup
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Ray Brook
Cuisines: Seafood, American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ogdensburg, New York
“CRAP”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Service was terrible, charged us twice for drinks we didn't get, no one spoke English very well and it is WAY OVER PRICED for what you get. I DO NOT RECOMMEND eating at this hole in the wall !!!!

9 Thank kate01061966

Lake Placid, New York
“Never again - - -”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

To say that this is a 'world famous' BBQ restaurant is a stretch of someone's imagination. Just not mine.

We spent this evening fighting the bugs over what would be the worst Adirondack meal we have ever had.

To start, we called ahead to get a 'bug' report before heading out for our first ever visit. Mark, told us there were no bugs to report. An occasional pest here or there, but nothing to compare to nearby Lake Placid or Saranac Lake.

Mark lied.

The Pros - Family friendly with reasonably priced children's meals (which included food, drink and a dessert, all for $6.99) and a nice little play area for the children to patiently await their 'frozen food entree's' to arrive. The waffle fries and onion rings were the star of the four kids meals which we ordered. My youngest had a hot dog (supposedly a Hebrew National footlong) which was so charred and burnt that it was almost inedible. The Mac 'n Cheese resembled Kraft packaged M'nC and was dry and bland. The chicken tenders were frozen portions which had spent a few minutes in the fryer before coming to our table.

My wife loved the slaw... and, they were willing to cook my 'Big Kahuna' burger medium rare for me... but, it came out bland and not seasoned very well. I did not finish it.

Yes, these were the PRO'S...

The Cons - Which in reality are too many to list, consisted of the same frozen chicken tenders served for my children's meals being used in my wife's Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. The lettuce (one small leaf) was dark green and wilted. She did not finish it.

The 'Yankee Nachos' (waffle fries topped with chili and jalapeno's) was somewhat tasty... somewhat. They did however leave off the bacon which we asked for so maybe it would have been tastier with the bacon flavor added. We will never know.

The beer was cold, but a bit over priced. A pint of draft - $6, a Texas Mug - $10 and a pitcher (64 oz) is $16. There are no bottles so we had to settle for draft, which my wife doesn't really care for much.

All totalled; our bill came to $81.99 for a family of 6. Dad ate a burger, mom had a chicken sandwich, the kids - one had Mac 'n Cheese, one had a hot dog, and two had chicken tenders. We ordered a pitcher of Labatt's Blue and got a pitcher of Blue Moon instead (I am not crying, but the Mrs. doesn't like Blue Moon, or draft for that matter, so it counts against them. Had an appetizer (the Yankee Nacho's) and we finished it off with what could only be called the worst Brownie Sundae in the world. It was supposed to be hot... it was cold. It was served in a to-go container and the canned whipped topping was a muck, squirted happenstancily all over the 'sundae'.

To be fair, this restaurant is known for its BBQ and Lobster. We had neither. However, we will not likely be returning to give it a second chance.

The waitress got a $10 tip. The bill totalled with tip - $91.99. I could have gotten the same food, literally, at the Franklin County Fair this August for $30 bucks.

Save yourself the trouble when passing through Ray Brook. Keep going either into Lake Placid or Saranac Lake. You will be way better off.

9 Thank CrazyGregLP
“Good food, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This is a sure stop for my wife and I whenever we go hiking in the Adirondacks. We go there because there is something simply fun about enjoying some BBQ while listening to the live band. The food is good, but we always stick to the simple stuff there (pulled pork, burgers...) the prices for the BBQ items are very reasonable, but if you go for more premium items (lobster for example) the prices go waaaaay up, but I guess that's the price to get lobster in the middle of the Adirondacks in one of the more touristy places. The bottom line is that if you are turned on by the atmosphere when you drive in front of it, do yourself a favor and stop for a burger, a beer and a few songs. But if the thought of crooked picnic tables, plastic plates and overall loudness upset you, it's not the place for you. What you see is what you get... Stop there 1 minute and you'll know if it's for you or not

Hadley, New York
“Quick and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was hiking in the mountains in the Adirondacks today and got hungry on the way home . I was very tired virtually exhausted and could not wait to get hom. I decided to stop in and get some takeout for supper. I was greeted by a waitress immediately and she handed me a menu. She explained the special of the day and I ordered that and two sides. She came out about 3 minutes later with the bill which I paid and about 3 minutes after that she delivered my food in an aluminum pan - covered. I was extremely surprised at how quick the service was .

The special that I ordered was a full rack of ribs and it came with two side orders. The full rack of ribs was kinda small in my opinion but it was filling and it tasted very good. (Just a little kick to it.) The two side orders came in small covered cups. If I had eaten at the restaurant instead of take home I am certain that I would have gotten a larger portion for the side orders.

As I said I thought the portions were a little bit small but they tasted good feeling and the full price was only $15. So I really can't complain all that much. Given the chance I would eat there again and I would try some of the other foods they have a pretty decent sized menu but I was in a hurry.

England
“2 night stay in cabin”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were excited to stay in a cabin instead of picking a hotel. We knew the cabin would be basic but the bed cover had blood stains on it and the shower was just a dribble of cold water. When we told reception there was no apology. The sheets were changed but the shower didn't work for the duration of our stay.

• Visited October 2013