“Hudson Valley's Best Kept Secret” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hearthstone Motel

Hearthstone Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Hook
Hearthstone Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Red Hook B&B and Inns
Cambridge, MA
“Hudson Valley's Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

We love it here. Our third trip to attend Bard graduation. We will return even after our daughter has graduated. If you want Holiday Inn, go to Kingston. If you want clean, safe, roomy logding in the 55 mph tradition of the Taconic go to the Hearthstone Motel, family owned and operated, surrounded by nature, on a rise overlooking an orchard for spectacular sunsets over the Hudson. It's a privilege to be here.

Room Tip: Turner Classic Movies is on Channel 66. Hearthstone room is huge, may be hard to heat in winter. A s...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank debtheo
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kingston, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

No not stay here Norman bates place with no heat what the u no what I mean it's in the 20s might we have an igloo but not to heat the room, dang it's cold, is this guy nuts, only thing that sold it was the beautiful sunsets through the window. But would I come back, no. We had no clean sheets for two weeks at minimum, we had to ask for clean towels if we got them at all and had to buy our on toilet paper. The lighting in the bathroom only worked part-time and when they did work it made this awful buzzing sound that really got on my nerves. Oh, and get this we had to by our own ceramic heater! Does he not believe in heating the rooms. Not until October and this is in upstate New York.

Room Tip: There is a pet deposit but cats are not pets I guess considering he would not allow my cat to stay...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Butterflyfaery
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
This is a classic example of “no good deed goes unpunished”.

I’m sure by reading our guest’s grammar and spelling errors, you can tell that she must have been in one of her drug hazes, again. Ms.“butterflyfaery” (Trip Advisor does not allow us to use her real name) also forgets to mention that she did not pay for the room, her parents did. If she did, maybe she would realize that her parents paid $800, not the $1200 she claimed to have paid. Her parents came here on September 1, 2011 and looked at the room with butterflyfaery present. She said she liked the room. We then discussed our pet policy, the price, and my concerns about her smoking. We have all non-smoking rooms. I guess now I realize why they didn’t want butterflyfaery to stay with them, for this trip. After two weeks I observed drug use and cigarette smoking in the room. I called butterflyfaery’s parents and explained to them what their daughter had been up too, and why I was asking her to leave. * I told them they would receive a 2-week refund, at that time. Butterflyfaery’s parents practically begged me to keep her and told me that they were “God fearing people” and would put the fear of God in her, thereby straightening her out. I explained to butterflyfaery’s parents that I do not run that type of establishment and would rather her not stay here, if she had a drug habit. They then proceeded to tell me to let her stay because “we are her parents and promise you that there will not be any more problems.” Knowing her parents to be good people, I went against my better judgment and let her stay, trusting that her parents would take care of the problem. What I failed to realize was the fallout when her parents let her know what I told them. At this point, butterflyfaery locked herself in the room for 3 days, with AC blasting in 65-degree weather, with the windows wide open. Doesn’t take a genius to figure out what she was up to.
At this point I asked her to leave, which she did. Now, due to my extended kindness to butterflyfaery’s parents, I get a nasty write up on here. My advice for butterflyfaery: stop doing drugs, get a job, get a life, and stop having your parents take care of you at 32 years old because, unfortunately, your parents are the ones who walk away with the egg on their faces.

Travellers are raving about these Red Hook hotels

Larchmont, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

Our room, #4, was in OK condition. The beds were fine, the place appeared clean, it was quiet (on the other hand only two of the eight rooms were occupied), the AC worked and so did everything else that had to work.
It was half the price, or less, than other area places charged.
The man who ran it was friendly, despite other comments to the contrary.
We picked it as a place to sleep while visiting relatives summering in the area, at a fairer price than others demanded, not based upon the decor.
If you are after decor, go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank QualityMatters2Me
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

This motel is a wonderful place to stay. The front desk staff were very friendly, our room was fairly spacious, and the motel was extremely clean.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank cappucinomix888
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

My stay at this motel was perfect. I was there for a function at Bard College- it is a perfect location for this. The room was no frills, but in no way lacking. Not a luxury stay, if your going for style this isn't the place for you. But, if what you need is a clean room with 2 comfortable beds, microwave, refrigerator, tv, ac and heat, plus a standard, clean bathroom-this is the place. The service was great. Owner/manager were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Bonus, owner's adorable dog Otter will say hello if you're a dog person. Smoking is allowed on patio in front of rooms where tables chairs and ash trays are provided. The room also had a wall of windows with a really pretty view of the mountains and sun. Across the street nursery is also pretty to look at. Very quiet. Nearby store for coffee and breakfast. Plenty of parking right in front of rooms. Lots of flowers and nature behind the motel. I saw a hummingbird from my window. They also had wifi, ask for the password when you check in.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Leah308
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

Its no wonder they demand your payment before allowing you to see a room. The first room we were shown was still occupied by other guests.
The second room reeked of urine.
The room we ended up with had no working light in the bathroom, a moldy unplugged refrigerator, a rusty microwave, a missing wall in the bathroom right under the toilet seat that anyone could look up at you, and NO HEAT.
We had been told that there was no one available after 8pm and when we returned from a performance at 1030 pm the lights were off in the office. None of the rooms our family had rented room 3,4 or 5 had heat the entire night. It was 28 degrees on the car thermometer. Management first claimed it was only one room that lacked heat but upon further inspection acknowledged that the heat valve for the property was indeed off.

When we contacted them At 8 am when the office opened we were reprimanded and told that we should have known that there was a secret button that we should have pressed and that they would have come and fixed the heat in the middle of the night.

Please note even the website and signage on property states that the office is closed at 8pm.
While acknowledging that the heat did not work but refused to compensate us because we did not contact them at 1 am?

There is no warmth at the hearthstone inn,

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank jlb2775
Red Hook, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

Should have know pulling into the place the driveway was full of pot holes. The owner has not put 2 cents into this place. Wood panelling and a retro, but not comforting look. Owner is rude and obnoxious. He does not appreciate your business and has no interest in a return visit from his guests. I would not recommend this motel.

• Stayed June 2010
Courtyard Kingston
Courtyard Kingston
#3 of 10 in Kingston
The Red Hook Country  Inn

Been to Hearthstone Motel? Share your experiences!