“OK for quick visit”
Review of Hearthstone Motel

Hearthstone Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Hook
Hearthstone Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Red Hook B&B and Inns
local
“OK for quick visit”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed here for just one January night as part of a family gathering in the area. We had three rooms. Everything was clean and it looks like they are trying to fix things up. We had the same toilet paper problem reported by others but the heat and water worked just fine. The driveway is a mess. The beds were comfortable and we slept well. It is what it is.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ttravel3
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad your stay was acceptable.
We hope you will stay with us in the future as we have made many changes since you were here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We were lured to this motel by reviews posted here. The stay was late September and although cold weather came early, they would not turn on the heat. Very dated furnishings and linens. It was a sad environment. I would not recommend that you stay here unless you are desparate.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ba_13
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Yes, the weather did drop down to 75 degrees which maybe someone from Florida would find to be a "cold" temperature. However we explained to her that since it was still the summer we would need to have a plumber come in to turn the whole system on (something we normally only do in the Fall/Winter) and since it was 9pm on a Saturday we would be unable to have anyone come in. We offered her extra blankets plus a portable in-room heater however she continued to be displeased and stormed out. What else could we do?

Travellers are raving about these Red Hook hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

The only reason to stay here is that there aren't many alternatives in Red Hook. Years of deferred maintenance shows at every turn. Rooms are superficially clean, but don't look in corners or window sills (yuck!). Housekeeping neglected to provide any toilet paper (empty cardboard roll in the holder when we checked in). Axle-breaking potholes in the driveway that had obviously gone unfilled for months or maybe years. Free wifi doesn't reach the rooms, but is available outside the office. The location is good for Red Hook and Bard.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Thubner2016
Philmont, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We had a great time staying at the Hearthstone and would definitely come back! The owner was very accomodating and the room was expecially clean. Fairly priced and worth every penny. Our family had come up to visit with relatives and were very impressed, especially with the location and the views of the Catskill mountains. I would 100% recommend the Hearthstone to anyone!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 8, the suite and found it to be wonderful - has a private balcony and great views...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We have enjoyed having you as a guest for the last 3 years and am awaiting your arrival again this summer.
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We love it here. Our third trip to attend Bard graduation. We will return even after our daughter has graduated. If you want Holiday Inn, go to Kingston. If you want clean, safe, roomy logding in the 55 mph tradition of the Taconic go to the Hearthstone Motel, family owned and operated, surrounded by nature, on a rise overlooking an orchard for spectacular sunsets over the Hudson. It's a privilege to be here.

Room Tip: Turner Classic Movies is on Channel 66. Hearthstone room is huge, may be hard to heat in winter. A s...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank debtheo
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again.
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 2 October 2011

No not stay here Norman bates place with no heat what the u no what I mean it's in the 20s might we have an igloo but not to heat the room, dang it's cold, is this guy nuts, only thing that sold it was the beautiful sunsets through the window. But would I come back, no. We had no clean sheets for two weeks at minimum, we had to ask for clean towels if we got them at all and had to buy our on toilet paper. The lighting in the bathroom only worked part-time and when they did work it made this awful buzzing sound that really got on my nerves. Oh, and get this we had to by our own ceramic heater! Does he not believe in heating the rooms. Not until October and this is in upstate New York.

Room Tip: There is a pet deposit but cats are not pets I guess considering he would not allow my cat to stay...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Butterflyfaery
Paul77_11, Owner at Hearthstone Motel, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
This is a classic example of “no good deed goes unpunished”.

I’m sure by reading our guest’s grammar and spelling errors, you can tell that she must have been in one of her drug hazes, again. Ms.“butterflyfaery” (Trip Advisor does not allow us to use her real name) also forgets to mention that she did not pay for the room, her parents did. If she did, maybe she would realize that her parents paid $800, not the $1200 she claimed to have paid. Her parents came here on September 1, 2011 and looked at the room with butterflyfaery present. She said she liked the room. We then discussed our pet policy, the price, and my concerns about her smoking. We have all non-smoking rooms. I guess now I realize why they didn’t want butterflyfaery to stay with them, for this trip. After two weeks I observed drug use and cigarette smoking in the room. I called butterflyfaery’s parents and explained to them what their daughter had been up too, and why I was asking her to leave. * I told them they would receive a 2-week refund, at that time. Butterflyfaery’s parents practically begged me to keep her and told me that they were “God fearing people” and would put the fear of God in her, thereby straightening her out. I explained to butterflyfaery’s parents that I do not run that type of establishment and would rather her not stay here, if she had a drug habit. They then proceeded to tell me to let her stay because “we are her parents and promise you that there will not be any more problems.” Knowing her parents to be good people, I went against my better judgment and let her stay, trusting that her parents would take care of the problem. What I failed to realize was the fallout when her parents let her know what I told them. At this point, butterflyfaery locked herself in the room for 3 days, with AC blasting in 65-degree weather, with the windows wide open. Doesn’t take a genius to figure out what she was up to.
At this point I asked her to leave, which she did. Now, due to my extended kindness to butterflyfaery’s parents, I get a nasty write up on here. My advice for butterflyfaery: stop doing drugs, get a job, get a life, and stop having your parents take care of you at 32 years old because, unfortunately, your parents are the ones who walk away with the egg on their faces.
Larchmont, NY
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Our room, #4, was in OK condition. The beds were fine, the place appeared clean, it was quiet (on the other hand only two of the eight rooms were occupied), the AC worked and so did everything else that had to work.
It was half the price, or less, than other area places charged.
The man who ran it was friendly, despite other comments to the contrary.
We picked it as a place to sleep while visiting relatives summering in the area, at a fairer price than others demanded, not based upon the decor.
If you are after decor, go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
The Red Hook Country  Inn
Super 8 Kingston
Super 8 Kingston
#6 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Hearthstone Motel? Share your experiences!