“Another Carnivore's Delight with Amazing Service & Fresh Ingridients” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flatiron Steakhouse

Flatiron Steakhouse
Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Red Hook
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Paltz, New York
“Another Carnivore's Delight with Amazing Service & Fresh Ingridients”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

A wonderful local experience, just discovered.

They accommodated us without a reservation on a Saturday evening. The buzz was lively, nice ambiance, with patrons at the bar, large tables and smaller tables on the wall and bench. There was also outdoor seating.

The most impressive thing was the way the entire staff, from hostess, to bartender, to server worked together seamlessly -- truly amazing, and just plain nice to make an enjoyable dining experience.

The second was the fresh food. The fresh vegetarian minestrone soup was the preview to an simple yet elegant dinner. We choose on Steak Frites (since I wasn't adventurous enough to try the Elk Steak special); and the special Guinea Hen over arugula & cubed roasted potatoes. We split a dinner side of roasted brussels sprouts. Top this all off with a chocolate souffle which we also shared.

Really like that they serve local beef, and the soup was the best I've tasted in a while.

No pretense here, with a somewhat limited menu, but after all this is steak house! They offered a seafood, fowl, and meat special.

The only negative: the apps and alcohol seemed a tad bit on the price side, and the pour for the wine seemed light. Dinner was $90 (for 2); with another $30 for 2 glasses of wine and an after dinner port.

We can enthusiastically recommend, especially for those of us who like to "think local first" -- give it a GO!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SteveMHV

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Oysters, brussels sprouts salad!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

A friendly place with excellent oysters always a special treat, and raw brussels sprouts salad with grana padano, wonderfully dressed and absolutely delicious; it will amaze people who have never liked sprouts! Good wine list, beers on tap. One can order small (6 oz) steaks with a nice variety of sauces on offer. Two can eat and drink well for a little over $100. Red Hook needs a good restaurant, and this is it!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Judith D
Nanuet, New York
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I liked every thing about the Flatiron. Great food but limited menu.

Visited May 2012
Croton on Hudson, New York
“When in Red Hook....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Be sure to go to the Flatiron Steakhouse. My husband and I were staying at the Red Hook Inn and this place was suggested to us. I am a very critical person when it comes to restaurants and I don't rave easily but this place deserves the kudos. We shared the lump crabmeat cake-pure crabmeat, not the substitute stuff some restaurants give. Soooooo good! Both of us had one of the specials which was halibut. The best halibut I ever had-cooked to perfection. For dessert-homemade ice cream. Besides the food, our waitress Kathy was terrific. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited May 2012
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“Great Meal and Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I were staying at the Red Hook Country Inn just a block away from the Flatiron and the innkeeper said that we could expect a good meal at the Flatiron. We arrived around 6 on a Wednesday evening and only one other table was occupied. By 7 pm, the restaurant was quite full. We opted for the prix fixed menu for $16 which included an appetizer and an entree. There was a tomato soup option or a salad. My husband and I opted for the salad which was lovely - the greens were fresh and had ferro seeds which I had never had and they were good. I opted for the flank steak which was delicious - cooked perfectly with mashed potatoes (real ones) and pea pods which were cooked perfectly. My husband opted for the buttermilk chicken which was also delicious and with the same sides. If you are a big eater, the portion may not have been large enough but for my husband and I, it was just enough. The restaurant was quiet and had a very nice atmosphere. Interesting were the white tablecloths on each table which had brown paper on top - I guess to "save" the white tablecloths. In nice weather, I believe that you could have outdoor seating. Our server was attentive and explained the menu items with enthusiasm - quite the professional.

• Visited April 2012