“Wow! Great Food! Great Service! Great Atmosphere!”

Historic Village Diner
Ranked #4 of 47 Restaurants in Red Hook
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were driving from Hyde Park north and stopped here for lunch.
I almost didn't based on the most recent TA reviews.
Boy, am I glad we did!
My wife and I both had the 1/2# Angus burger, hers with sweet potato fires, mine with curly fries.
First, this is a classic railroad car style diner we used to see dotting the landscape over America. We had the Sliver Diner in the town I grew up in, so it was a major nostalgia trip! Old time radio, the clock with the neon ring glowing, the counter with stools!
That alone would have made it worth the stop, but the service was excellent, the burgers cooked perfectly to order and the fries (both styles) outstanding!
Would I come here again? In a New York Minute!
CASH ONLY.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We like to stop here every time we are in Red Hook. It is a unrenovated wonderful chrome Silk City Diner, which is a rare thing. Good diner food with some nice surprises, bottomless coffee and friendly service. No one ever rushes us. What more could we want in a vintage diner! Wish it was closer, I would be here often.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The diner was crowded when we went in on a Sunday morning. We sat at a table and ordered drinks and read the menu. We started with a huge homemade cinnamon bun that was very good. My boyfriend had a Sausage and egg that was huge for the price of $4 (2 eggs and 2 sausage patties!). I had a delicious bacon and cheese omelette with crispy hash browns and rye toast. The prices were fair and the food was good. The portions were really big and left us full. Service was friendly. Would definitely return if we were in the area again. Bring cash! The only downfall to the diner was the tiny and very stinky bathrooms.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

On a house-hunting trip to Red Hook we decided to stop for an early dinner here based on the wonderful reviews. The waitress was great, the diner itself was adorable (but the women's bathroom toilet was clogged) and four of our meals were good except for my 8 year old daughter's Mac & Cheese (that the waitress told us was the last of the lot left over from lunch). It was a bowl of glutinous, smelly, bright-orange glop that tasted like bacon. I explained this very nicely to the waitress and asked for a grilled cheese instead. She smilingly brought it out in less than two minutes and apologized.

When it came time to pay the bill both the Mac & Cheese and grilled cheese were on it. The waitress said the manager wouldn't let her credit it ($9.50 a bowl!!!). Of course I very nicely asked the manager why and she proceeded to be snotty as heck, tell us we were credited for a salad bar (have NO idea what she was talking about) and that we were more than taken care of. She said she had no reason to credit us for the Mac & Cheese just because my daughter didn't like it and that it wasn't the bottom of the pan, in fact they were going to save it for tomorrow. She went on and on about how unreasonable I was being, all in a defensive and very rude tone in front of the entire diner. I have never in all my adult life been talked to as a customer like that. She made no attempt to apologize for the nasty glop, made no attempt to treat me like a customer she wished to retain, made no attempt to be polite. All I wanted was an apology for the icky food, a free replacement (the grilled cheese was only $3.50), a smile and "please come again and let us show you how we really do it" type thing. Instead I got customer service from hell.

We will never go back there. Its unfortunate because we are moving there in June and my family of six love diner food. Poor customer service strikes again . . . .

5  Thank Nanci L
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was up in Red Hook for business. A couple of co-workers and I wanted a nice, small-town, diner eating experience so we came here. From the outside, this was exactly what we were looking for. It was crowded and that usually means there is good food inside.

Our experience was up and down.

First of all, the woman took our drink order. I got un-sweet ice tea. After we got our drinks, of course the server ran off as she was busy. Well, there is no sweetener on the table. What kind of restaurant doesn't have sweetener on the table? So when she came back to take our order, I had to ask for it. I felt like I was asking mommy for an allowance. She gave me one packet... so I had to ask for another one. My impression was that the owners were too cheap to put sweetener on the table for fear people would steal it.

The salad bar is very good. A very nice mixture of tossed salad ingredients and a big variety of toppings and salad dressings. I would say for me, that the salad bar was the highlight of the meal.

Two of us ordered the meatloaf and it obviously was not fresh. It was kind of dry and tasted like it was either frozen and thawed in a microwave, or was a couple of days old... like it was made earlier in the week and stored in the fridge. If not for the gravy, I would have sent it back for being too dry. This was unforgivable for me. A diner should have great meatloaf... period. For eleven dollars, I should not have a dry meatloaf.

More ice tea, more doling out of sweetener. I should have ordered just water.

The final insult was at the cash register. Who doesn't take credit cards these days? I'm on a business lunch. I need a real receipt to submit for reimbursement. Not only did I have to pay cash, but I had to wait for the cashier to write out another full receipt. It was easy to see that she was tired of informing people of the no credit card policy, and she was frustrated by having to write out another receipt.

Never going to go here again.

3  Thank Carl S