“The Grand "Disappointment"”
Review of Grand Dutchess

Grand Dutchess
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Hook
Grand Dutchess
Ranked #2 of 4 Red Hook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Inn with friends that we frequently travel with. We love to stay at B&B's to get a real flavor of the area, and have always met such lovely people. Although the town of Redhook is delightful, our stay at the Inn was so "disappointing " that I felt compelled to write a review stating our opinions.

I can overlook the average quality of the rooms, but not the poor quality of their towels, holes in the sheet rock by the sink, or the gaps in the windows screens that allowed the bugs in. Although the room, and Inn has lovely architectural detail to it, sadly both the interior and exterior suffer from deterioration, and lack of maintenance. I can overlook the uncomfortable seating in the parlor and odd decor, but not the dirt and neglect on the front porch. It was particularly odd that after we passed one of the Innkeepers sitting out there earlier in the day, we had all thought it would be a great place to find a comfortable seat finally, but found it neither swept free of debris, nor the cushions brushed clean to welcome the guests to sit.

At breakfast one found a lovely looking table, but no "killer breakfast" as promised in their brochure. The young wait staff was very pleasant, but dressed in a very unprofessional manor for an Inn claiming to be so grand. We were served some sliced unripe strawberries, poorly cooked miniature corn fritters (really? a dinner appetizer for breakfast?), and coffee. On the table were 4 boxes of miniature cereal for the 6 of us that were seated, and a container of what we all thought may have been a poor version of granola. Needless to say, we ate at the diner down the road the next morning to get a real "killer breakfast" for a most reasonable price.

However, out of all the disappointments from our stay, none was as bad at the verbal insult I was subjected to when Harold (the innkeeper) brashly said that "woman should not be attorneys". It is obvious that he is the only person impressed with what he used to do, as he bored us all with a loquacious story of a case he won against a female prosecutor. If one has such a chauvinistic viewpoint in today's day and age, one should know better than to broadcast their ignorance, let alone insult paying customers who did not feel the need to brag about what they all do for a living.

The poor quality of the breakfast, room and house, I could overlook, and would never have taken the time to write a review as such. However when I checked out, I had to tell Beth (the Inn keepers wife) how offended I was by her husbands comments and why we would never return because of it. Although she was very apologetic, no concession was offered off of the $195 per night room rate....guess the insults are free of charge.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Lisa L

Reviewed 20 July 2011

I stayed at the Grand Dutchess B&B for two nights in early July 2011 and had a wonderful experience. I am shocked by some of the reviews that say that the house was 'cluttered, dusty, bad service, etc' because I did not have any of those issues. In fact, the owner was a delight, very friendly; my room was very nice and the bed more comfortable than my own at home! Also, the breakfast I was served was delicious! My room was cleaned up while I was out during my 2nd day there and I was happy to come back to a clean room. They even turned the air conditioner on for me (as I forgot to when I left in the morning), so the room was nice and cool when I got back to the B&B later that day. My room was not dusty, and neither were the common areas. So, in short, I disagree with the last review strongly and I think that maybe they were confused and meant to write that review for some other B&B. To sum up, I loved my stay at the Grand Dutchess and recommend it to anyone who wants a hospitable and peaceful atmosphere to stay in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank yvonne1127
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I agree with the last post here - lots of tacky, dusty Victorian nick nacks everywhere. Junky overall. Owners should have a yard sale and clean up. No maid service.

Stay at a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jad333069
Reviewed 5 June 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night in May. The building is a three story victorian and we had a room on the top floor. The entire house is nicely decorated to give you that "back in time" feeling. Little touches are everywhere. The owners were very accommodating with our reservations and our check in. Our room was nice sized with a nice sized private bath. My experience with some B&B's is taht the rooms are too small. Not here. The bed was pretty comfortable too. Breakfast was good. The OJ seemed fresh squeezed. Coffee was good (not great), some fresh fruit, some bacon, and homemade corn fritters that were very good. The host was very pleasant, not overbearing. Location is pretty good too. Overall, if you like the B&B experience and are looking for something in this area, I think you'd find the Grand Dutchess to be quite good.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emosnj
Reviewed 31 January 2010

My wife, my daughter and I have all stayed at the Grand Dutchess Inn. It is what I would call a "Classic B&B": a comfortable place to stay in a great old house with welcoming hosts. If you are looking for a B&B that is like a motel, this is not the place for you. But if you like old houses with lots of antiques, you should stay here. The rooms were spacious and comfortable; the bathrooms clean and modern. A good, generous, homemade breakfast is served; again, if you are looking for a motel-style buffet,, look elsewhere. The location is great, in Red Hook (walking distance to restaurants, stores & shops), close to Bard College and in the Hudson River Valley. Staying at the Grand Dutchess is like staying with family friends who have a neat old house. I am looking foward to my next stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JohninSantaFe
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for a weekend and just loved it! The room was large, clean and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was nice sized with a tub and shower. We were on the third floor so there was a fridge with water right outside our room which was a great touch.

Since we both are pretty picky eaters we told Beth (Innkeeper) certain things we would not eat and she was great at accommodating us. Besides the main dish offered for breakfast there were fresh muffins, scones and cake, as well as fresh cut fruit and boxes of dry cereal and granola. There really was plenty to eat which is what I look for in a B & B!

On the whole I loved this place, Beth, Harold and Patricia were so warm and accommodating. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NYCGAL35
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I stayed at the Grand Dutchess last night with my husband and two boys, and our dog, who is just under a year old. (It was his first trip... we brought his crate, and as the owner requested, did not leave him alone in the room.) The inn was beautiful, spotless and the innkeepers could not have been more helpful. The beds were firm and comfortable. Everyone sat at one long table for a very delicious breakfast. The warm and friendly atmosphere extended to the other guests as well. We all look forward to returning to the very lovely Grand Dutchess and to Hudson, a small, but lively town.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank joanp

Been to Grand Dutchess? Share your experiences!