“Classic B&B in a great location”
Review of Grand Dutchess

Grand Dutchess
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Hook
Grand Dutchess
Ranked #2 of 4 Red Hook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 January 2010

My wife, my daughter and I have all stayed at the Grand Dutchess Inn. It is what I would call a "Classic B&B": a comfortable place to stay in a great old house with welcoming hosts. If you are looking for a B&B that is like a motel, this is not the place for you. But if you like old houses with lots of antiques, you should stay here. The rooms were spacious and comfortable; the bathrooms clean and modern. A good, generous, homemade breakfast is served; again, if you are looking for a motel-style buffet,, look elsewhere. The location is great, in Red Hook (walking distance to restaurants, stores & shops), close to Bard College and in the Hudson River Valley. Staying at the Grand Dutchess is like staying with family friends who have a neat old house. I am looking foward to my next stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JohninSantaFe

Reviewed 7 September 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for a weekend and just loved it! The room was large, clean and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was nice sized with a tub and shower. We were on the third floor so there was a fridge with water right outside our room which was a great touch.

Since we both are pretty picky eaters we told Beth (Innkeeper) certain things we would not eat and she was great at accommodating us. Besides the main dish offered for breakfast there were fresh muffins, scones and cake, as well as fresh cut fruit and boxes of dry cereal and granola. There really was plenty to eat which is what I look for in a B & B!

On the whole I loved this place, Beth, Harold and Patricia were so warm and accommodating. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NYCGAL35
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I stayed at the Grand Dutchess last night with my husband and two boys, and our dog, who is just under a year old. (It was his first trip... we brought his crate, and as the owner requested, did not leave him alone in the room.) The inn was beautiful, spotless and the innkeepers could not have been more helpful. The beds were firm and comfortable. Everyone sat at one long table for a very delicious breakfast. The warm and friendly atmosphere extended to the other guests as well. We all look forward to returning to the very lovely Grand Dutchess and to Hudson, a small, but lively town.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank joanp
Reviewed 23 September 2008

My parents and I stayed here and we got up the next day to eat breakfast, unlike many other bed and breakfasts, there was no option for breakfast (like cereal)--or at least that is what I thought. They made us be at breakfast at a certain time and then served us these partially burned corn cakes. Well, actually one patron had pre-ordered his Atkins diet menu (we were not aware that this was an option) which consisted of bacon and eggs. I asked if I could get my elderly father some eggs and the owner said "No, hes' on a special diet" (about the customer who got the eggs). Sounds like others have had the same experience I had. I'm glad we have a forum to let others know about this place--they need to learn customer service skills.

• Stayed: October 2003, travelled with family
3  Thank fabulassy
Reviewed 5 August 2008

This is what a B&B should be -- affordable, interesting, comfortable and friendly. Breakfasts were delicious, all-we-could-eat and varied. Our room was very comfortable and blessedly free of the cutesy country crap that plagues most B&Bs. Instead, the hosts display their own 19th century treasures, including some nifty Victorian silver, with the kind of trust that made us feel like family. The in-town location put us in walking distance of a great independent bookstore, a cozy cafe, drugstore and some interesting shops.

This is not a posh, snooty "resort" kind of place, just a lovely relaxing home-like place to stay, just what we needed.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2007

We spent two nights at this B & B and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were lucky probably in being the only guests there (mid week) and as we were staying on the third floor we had a small sitting room with a fridge up there all to ourselves. Beth, the owner was very friendly and helpful and she took the trouble to make dinner reservations for us at the Culinary Institute. The location could not have been better for those like us liking to walk (a few steps from the main part of the town) and breakfast was good and varied and enough to take us through to dinner. Like the other B & Bs we stayed in on this trip the breakfast was a set menu and although probably not very practicable especially with a full house it would have been nice to have been able to choose between sweet and savory items on each day. In fact we did have one breakfast of each for the two days we were there and although we enjoyed the waffles we would choose unsweetened oatmeal, eggs, toast etc. over sweet thing like pancakes and muffins if we had the choice.

Overall a very good experience with a family atmosphere which we liked. We hope to return.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 20 March 2006

Tried booking at the Grand Duchess for October 15-16th 2006. First I sent an email and with no reply after 2 days, I called. Was told that weekend could be parents weekend at a local college and to call back 2 days later when someone could help me. Then finally received an email reply that April 15-16th was available. I called to inform them they had the wrong weekend. Then they tell me Oct 15-16th is the Sheep and Wool festival and the entire house is booked. I looked on the internet and saw The Sheep and Wool festival is always the 3rd weekend of October and is on October 21-22nd this year. I had another friend who also tried to book for that weekend and got the same runaround. Also, we were in Red Hook this weekend and drove by the place. It looked kind of run down anyway. My advice--save yourself the hassle and book at the Red Hook Inn. The innkeepers are very friendly and customer-oriented!

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank Trinket52

Been to Grand Dutchess? Share your experiences!