“Been stopping here for 50 years”
Review of Gene's Fish Fry

Gene's Fish Fry
Ranked #28 of 56 Restaurants in Rensselaer
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have been eating fish fry at Gene's for about 50 years. The fish fry is very as good as I remember them. The selection of food is good, but the fish fry is to be remembered. Looking forward to the next summer that I will be in the Albany area. They are only opened seasonally in the summer.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Went to genes on a rainy Saturday night. The place was deserted, so there was no waiting. We ordered two fish dinners to go, since it was too cold to sit at the picnic tables outside. The food was prepared quickly, and we were on our way.
When we got home and unwrapped the dinners we were surprised at the lack of fries on each plate. Maybe 20 fries per meal....maybe. The cole slaw was to sweet for either of our tastes. The breading on the fish was good, but for the price of $9.75 per dinner, I would go to price chopper and get two dinners for the same price.

Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

There is definitely something to be said for specializing in one thing.
This the best fish fry in the world. A wonderful filet served on a hot dog bun with their secret homemade tartar sauce.....perfect!
Service is good and the wait time is reasonable.
I have been going here (we now live in Rochester but drive there at least once a year just for their fish fry) since they opened when I was a little girl and it is a tradition that has been passed on to my children and now grandchildren as well.
Please go and enjoy!!!

1  Thank Debi81655
Reviewed 29 January 2013

When its the season for fish fry's you can't drive by Gene's without wanting one. Awesome fish. Very fresh and tasty. Get two you can't just eat one. And its not that they are small, they're not. Perfect size. Its just that the taste just pulls you back in for more.
Love the summer months.

1  Thank DBOUCH
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I hadnt eatin at Gene's in about 27 years. It was better than I remembered. the fish just melted in your mouth. The fries were awesome as well....Thanks for not changing a thing. I just wish we had fish frys here in Texas...

Been to Gene's Fish Fry? Share your experiences!