“we had a really lovely time”
Review of The Veranda House

The Veranda House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
The Veranda House
Ranked #8 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
new york city
“we had a really lovely time”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

we've stayed in various b&bs in rhinebeck and red hook and we needed 4 separate rooms for a mini-family get together. the owner was easy to work with and we had 4 lovely rooms included a requested ground floor room for my elderly mom. her furnishings are just lovely and all the rooms were in very good condition. my only critique was that our bed - even tho supposedly new - was bendy-soft - my mom's on the 1st floor was nice and firm. there was a library room where our family of 7 hung out in - with complimentary sherry and beautiful crystal glasses and the owner brought in a bucket of ice and extra glasses for us. breakfast was ...a lot. juice, then a fresh fruit cocktail, then a large entree...the first day (because we asked for savory over sweet) a really really good quiche with bacon on the side and the 2nd day sautéed mushrooms on toast with a poached egg on top. very yummy. and my husband said it was the only decent coffee in all the b&bs up there we've been to. we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ebean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Let me preface by saying I have stayed in B+Bs all over the world. There was nothing wrong with this place. It was within about a 5 minute drive from the Rhinecliff Hotel that we attended a wedding at which made it great as far as location. It was also within walking distance of the shops, restaurants and bars in town.

When we arrived to the Veranda House, it was like walking into your grandmothers house. It was very clean, no dust, everything kept it order and a little too warm.

The room was also clean and had toiletries available in the bathroom. The queen size bed in the rose room was as or more comfortable than a 4 star hotel room. Much of the decor was very dated. You may think I am saying this because of the victorian decor but the wallpaper and wall hangings were straight from the 70s. Be advised if you are looking to relax in your room, bring a book or ipad with your own internet. There was no TV in the room. Also after 10 attempts the internet never worked. The rose room also had a private bathroom.

The breakfast was very filling. 3 full courses; scones first, fresh fruit than an egg course with sausage and tomato. The innkeeper was also very accommodating to any allergy requests or something that we didnt like. I wasn't a huge fan of the breakfast but I also only eat breakfast about 5 times a year.

Here is my bottom line on this place. For one night for one of my best friends weddings, it was good. But for the offseason price of basically $200 I expected more. No TV, WiFi did not work, room decor was dated. I would not hesitate to tell someone to stay here if they needed a place, I would just not repeat this one.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank EamonKid
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Surprisingly there are not many places to stay in the Rhinebeck area when you just need a practical place to stay for a night. For an American B&B, this one is fine, not too weird though you do definitely feel like you are staying in someone's house. The shower was terribly weak and the price is not cheap, but at least it didn't smell like you were sleeping over at a friend's grandmother's house. And despite being a chill Spring night, it was warm enough in our room ( we paid $50 to have an extra cot). The internet wifi did not function and Madame could not figure it out or do much to fix it. Breakfast was copious. One big negative was I did not need to hear lunatic, Fox brainwashed political commentary. Politics, religion and B&B s do not mix.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GrillMeisterNYC
nyc
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Bed was comfortable
TV in separate room
hostess was nice
breakfast was good, fresh fruit a big plus
Generally, I prefer not to discuss politics - didn't intend to, but was treated to something that smacked of right wing radio and fox disinformation, and frankly, didn't see a need for it; it left an unfortunate sour note to the whole experience

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank moschofilero
phoenix
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We took a drive up the Hudson River Valley and found this was a perfect place to spend the night. Rhinebeck is a charming town and The Veranda House was a wonderful find. Yvonne was a delightful hostess and was willing to pull two twin beds together and made a King bed for us which is not easy to find in a B&B. It's very homey inside not stuffy or uncomfortable at all. We would have loved to sit and watch tv on the comfy sofa but we could not get it to work. (I'm sure it has to do with our skill with a remote and not the tv. Maybe directions for the tech challenged) I sat and read magazines for awhile as she had a great selection. My husband was able to sit on the veranda and smoke a cigar. She recommended a wonderful restaurant in town. The breakfast....was fantastic. It was the best French toast I have ever had, really. There was a selection of baked breads and fruit, lots of coffee and wonderful guests to talk too. I would definitely recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jjmphoenix
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2013

What a charming B & B! My room was perfect: immaculate and very pretty with a beautiful four-poster bed. Yvonne is a gracious, generous lady who was very helpful in restoring the belongings I accidentally left behind. I recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lovetotravel60763
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We just got back from the Veranda House Bed and Breakfast in Rhinebeck, NY, and could not wait to sit down and write a review!

It truly is the "bed and breakfast" at its best: the most elegant and authentically refined old world, graceful arrangement. Our stay was just magical!! Everything was coordinated to perfection, from the very tasteful and beautiful Victorian decor, the most comfortable high mattresses (in the Ivy room), no noise leading to restful sleep, and delicious full daily breakfasts. The innkeeper, Yvonne Sarn, was so knowledgeable, accommodating, pleasant, and entertaining~we felt like honored family members~ and did not want to leave. The historical Inn is centrally located in the town of Rhinebeck NY, allowing one to walk to its many attractions or drive a short distance to the historical mansions and many other attractions in this gorgeous district.

We already miss it, and cannot wait to return.

Chantal And Joe, New York, NY.

Room Tip: The Ivy room bed was very comfortable, and the jacuzzi was excellent!