“No healthy choices at this farm to table”

The Local Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #8 of 56 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New York City, New York
“No healthy choices at this farm to table”
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Everything may be locally sourced but I am guessing the chef had to be bribed to eat his veggies as a child. Whatever green things there are on the menu are covered in pork , cheese or nuts- sometimes all three ! It is really hard to choose healthy meals here. By the time you hold all the salty and fatty additions you are left with next to nothing. It is too bad since the food is prepared well. Please make some dishes that the health conscious can eat!
As others have said, the space is small and on many levels. It can be noisy. The small balcony is nice in the summer.
The bartender is great!

• Visited January 2013

Niagara Falls, New York
“Noisy, too expensive and a limited menu....”
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

Small quarters , upstairs even smaller and cramped , steak offering very disappointing and appetizers are mediocre. Desserts are fine and the pricing is too high for the return.
Last time for me and my friends.

Skillman, New Jersey
“Good food, but limited menu and noisy”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

In contrast to my experience at another small restaurant in Rhinebeck, the evening before, I left feeling disenchanted with my experience at "the local." I was overwhelmed by the small space downstairs, the noise of the kitchen and clanking of plates, and by the seating arrangements. It's not good when the person behind you lifts up her hair and it falls on your back. Seriously tight space. I was disappointed by the menu as well, which felt very limited. Our appetizers and entrees were nicely prepared, for the most part, but it was hard to find something that allowed me to eat well and stick to a diet. I'm pretty good at substituting, but I was taken aback by how little choice I had. My parents had the battered softshell crab and fries, but the crab was completely lost in the not well seasoned batter. My husband enjoyed the duck confit, my daughter her steak. For an appetizer, I had oysters on the half shell, which were sweet and fresh. Yay! For the main course, I had cod with olive tapenade, white beans, and what was supposed to be pesto(?). The cod was very nicely cooked, but the combination of the olive tapenade and white beans with the fish was just, well, for lack of a better word, yucky. I was desperately seeking a green vegetable... Our waitress was wonderful, despite the laryngitis she had that night, she persevered and provided wonderful service, especially to my step-Dad, whose hearing aid was overwhelmed by the noise. They had a cool drink menu featuring cocktails from the late 1890s-early 1900s. Last but not least, the meal was expensive, despite the fact that only three of us had a (singular) glass of wine or cocktail. Overall? I'd give it another try, if I knew I could sit in a less noisy and more spacious area. I was seriously put off by the noise, and I'm a heavy metal rock fan...

Visited May 2013
Hyde Park, New York
“Great farm to table place!”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Having just moved here because my husband is attending the Culinary Institute of America, we have been trying out new restaurants and The Local was on the top of our list. We were totally amazed!! The atmosphere is perfect, intimate and classy, but makes you feel in your kitchen at home. The drinks were great, we had a local apple vodka speak-easy type drink that was served in a copper cup! We only went in for an appetizer (Mussels) and were delighted with 3 little tastings from the chef for free!!! This place is a must! The chef is very talented, and the ambiance adds to his story and success.

Shokan, New York
“Outstanding farm-to-table, interesting food, unusual thoughtful cocktails, architecturally interesting and comfortable decor”
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Go when you are in or have plans to be near Rhinebeck. Wes Dier makes use of the freshest local ingredients (ramps are in season; Local asparagus - yum!) to make superb specials, and his duck two ways is to die for. And his mixologist is crazy!