“Best food in Rhinebeck”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Best food in Rhinebeck”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have been going to The Local for years. We go to France just for the food so we are FOODIES. My favorite dish is the duck two ways. Love the wait staff particularly James and Becky. Robert the bartender makes the best straight up Margueritas.

• Visited July 2014

“Best restaurant north of Bouley”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We are regulars. And we are regulars nowhere else on earth. So why here? It is very simple in the end. The finest chef, the nicest people from hostess to waiters, a very civilized sound level and the very best bartender east of Dodge City. The martini classes are always chilled and he has the heaviest hand of anyone since Rodin's Thinker.

Ask where the lovely bread comes from and the answer will tell you why the Local is peerless. Some reviewers describe specific dishes. I have indulged in them all over the years. Nothing is ever less than exquisite. This is American cuisine at its finest.

Visited July 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Very quaint dining”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Located in a covered old home the food is professionally cooked with a flair. Something different to enjoy in this wonderful town.the staff was great in service, , I ordered the steak and it was perfectly prepared. Do miss the desserts, Parking located next to the restaurant and reservations are must.

• Visited June 2014
New York
“Mixed review”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The manager said some of the menu was new. Presentation of appetizers was very nice. We had a lovely table overlooking their herb garden. The chairs are uncomfortable. The waitstaff did not refill our water glasses. The duck was very good. The food was extremely fresh but some of the preparations were average. Lightly broiled oysters came with overpowering ginger in each oyster shell. The fresh trout was overloaded with butter. The pork chop was cooked through but cooked too much for my liking. The appetizer of beef sliders are good but some of the fries tasted burnt. Overall, this was a nice place to visit but there are other places in town I am going to try before returning to The Local.

• Visited May 2014
Rhinebeck, New York
“Truth or Conseqences?”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is an excellent restaurant in many ways and it is to be commended that it serves grass fed beef, organic locally grown produce, has inventive cuisine and fresh ingredients. Only problem: when my dish arrived and I had a spoonful of the side dish, there was a stone (which did not break but almost broke my tooth when I bit down upon it chewing). I took it out and looked at it and showed it to the waitress. It was very clearly a tiny irregularly shaped stone. At first, the waitress agreed and said at first that "It was a pebble that had gotten into the food because some of the sand was not completely washed out". Then she disappeared into the kitchen with it. (Luckily I have very hard teeth and did not crack my tooth upon biting on it, but it was momentarily worrisome). The waitress then returned with a very defensive tone and rather than apologizing and offering something (dessert, beverage or reduction in price to compensate), …she said.. "oh we decided it was just part of a peppercorn" (which it obviously was not--it was inedible!) and handed me us the check.
So,( in the style of unsavory govenment officials) is it really better to change the truth so it looks like there was never a mistake to begin with? Certainly not...better to admit human error. Folks, put your customers wellbeing and satisfaction first. Ultimately your restaurant will be more successful for it.

• Visited April 2014