Omega Institute
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
See available hotels
Rhinebeck Motel(Rhinebeck)
The Rhinecliff(Rhinecliff)
Roosevelt Inn(Hyde Park)
View Hotel
Inn at Hyde Park(Hyde Park)
View Hotel
Pleasant Valley Motel(Pleasant Valley)
Residence Inn Kingston(Kingston)
Courtyard Kingston(Kingston)
View Hotel
All reviewsceiling fanbug spraypeanut butterdorm roombring a flashlightweekend experiencecabincampusclassesmeditationsanctuaryvolunteersmovementretreatproteintransformationofferings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

This was my 1st visit to Omega and I will try to come back. I did a yoga weekend retreat and it was great. The campus is very nice and not having electronics around or good cell service made it better in my opinion. I was able to touch base with home briefly and that was good enough. The food is very good and the staff was nice. The only negative was the bathrooms in my dorm were dirty (mildew on the shower) and too small. It is summer camp for adults!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank JBrenn232
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I went to Omega after many years absent. I only live 17 miles away, but that's life. Anyway my experience was excellent. I did a week long writers workshop that was awesome. I love the open, airy aspect of campus. Lots of space to walk about, nothing is more than a short walk away. The dining hall was good - food veggie/vegan with some animal protein choices. Some of the entrées offered were real winners, others ok. The chef could kick it up a notch, but all in all I had good meals. The lake was nice to swim, clean with lots of amenities on shore to help you enjoy (lounge chairs, kayaks). The Stillwater Pavilion nearby was the location of my workshop and my morning intermediate yoga class. Lovely venue. They do not have as extensive a yoga program as Kripalu, the two often being compared in reviews. Aside from a similarity in program offerings, they are two different animals in my opinion. My morning class was more than adequate, as I was participating in a workshop. The evening activities were fun - a film, a concert, a workshop sampler evening. Cell service I am told is spotty. I wasn't troubled by it as I shut off my phone the 5 days I was there. There is wifi at the café. I liked the café. It was the lively, loud spot with some fine goodies to eat and drink and opportunities for striking up conversations. I feel constrained to point out to those of you reading reviews about Omega that this is NOT a resort. It's a summer camp for the alternate crowd, the seekers, the creators, you know - earthy folks. If cell service and A/C are things of import to you or if you need to be entertained and stimulated constantly, I would seek other venues, not Omega. Time alone entertaining yourself is easy to find here. The employees and volunteers were very kind and they work hard. By the way I'm a birdwatcher and the birds on campus are awesome. Happy trails.

Room Tip: The double cabin rooms with private bath are very spacious and clean. I was expecting to be assigned a room mate, but none materialized. Bonus.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Ewelch2
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Finally got a chance to visit Omega. Booked an r and r from Sunday - Thursday. Let me preface to say that I have been to Kripalu about ten times in the last 6 years, so I am very familiar with a retreat/workshop experience. I was looking forward to Omega since I have been wanting to visit and it is an hour closer for me then going to Kripalu.
Lets start with the good: The campus is beautiful and spread out with lots of trees, open space and gardens. It reminded me a lot like a college campus. You have to walk everywhere and a lot of it is hilly as an FYI. The sanctuary is absolutely stunning, what a beautiful space. Peaceful, serene, koi ponds. The library was wonderful. A really cool work of architecture, designed to be like the lotus flower and brimming with all kinds of books on a multitude of topics. The lake was nice. There are chairs, a lifeguard, hammocks, and kayaks for the taking.
The food was okay. The majority of it is vegetarian, with vegan and gluten free options offered daily. A lot of it is locally sourced and organic. There would be several choices at each meal and always a salad bar for lunch and dinner. Sometimes they would reuse a dinner item into something for lunch the next day. You will find a much more diverse selection of food at kripalu. I had a dorm single. It is about 6' feet wide and 7' long. You don't spend time in there anyway. The bed was comfy and room was clean. Bring a backpack or bag to walk around campus with. You do have to walk everywhere!

The not so good: I thought for an r and r retreat they did not offer much in the terms of workshops. Yes, there was yoga and meditation, but there was no guided hikes or really interesting workshops. This is where Kripalu wins hands down.
For those of you that needs to connect with the modern world, cell service is pretty much awful. I have Verizon and was only able to get 2 bars the most and it would cut out or die on my daily evening phone call home. No problems with cell service at Kripalu. I thought the majority of the staff was not very friendly at all. They were in their own little worlds and a lot of them had attitudes. I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from any of them. They seemed like they did not want to be there. Then why volunteer?
The sauna had men and women's hours. Never used it, it was a distance away and more of a bother. Kripalu has men and women's saunas.

Overall, yes I was able to unplug, but will probably not go back. I did not get a warm and fuzzy vibe at Omega. I actually left early because I was done and wanted to come home. I left feeling relaxed, but different then if I had been to Kripalu.
Seriously, go to Kripalu instead. You will not regret it.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
14  Thank Bailey2004
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I stayed in a couple's cabin for our first trip to Omega. If you've never been it is different. The room was simple, but clean. The towels are changed once during the week, and that's it for service. There are no tv's or phones in the rooms. There is wifi in the cafe and even computers for your use.
The food was served buffet style for every meal but it is fresh and locally sourced. We enjoyed it!
The property has a great country setting with great staff . Before going we had reservations about whether or not there would be enough classes and things to do for the week but we were pleasantly surprised. My wife and I both feel that we got a lot out of our stay and couldn't have asked for more.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank greattrip9
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Discovered Omega about nine years ago and try to visit for at least one weekend a year. The courses on offer are very wide ranging, primarily holistic or spiritual in nature. THE prime reason to visit is for the serenity, the reduction in pace, the opportunity to give time time and to attend a course. The upkeep is probably quite expensive which is why the basic accommodation is not cheap. The food is vegetarian and very enjoyable. There is a cafe if you feel the need for meat or strong coffee. This is my 8th or 9th visit and an opportunity to experience a form of meditation I've not tried before.
I will return again - so what does that say?!!
Bliss.