“You can't go wrong with this inn”
Review of Olde Rhinebeck Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
Olde Rhinebeck Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“You can't go wrong with this inn”
Reviewed 12 August 2005

We just returned from three nights at the Olde Rhinebeck Inn and have nothing but good things to say about it.

It's in a wonderful country setting, with two ponds in view and old farm buildings dotting the fields nearby. It's very picturesque and quiet, yet only a few minutes from major highways and the village of Rhinebeck.

The Inn itself is a long, low affair, wonderfully furnished with antiques of many periods, giving you the feeling that the house has been continuously occupied since the 18th century by a single family, each generation's heirlooms taking their places beside the treasures of the previous generation.

Our suite had two bedrooms and a bath. Everything was clean, serene, and beautifully decorated. The beds were comfortable with beautiful linens, the bathroom spotless with thick, soft towels, and the air conditioners held their own against the hot humid weather this week. The satellite TV offered far too many channels, although it was tempting to try them all.

The innkeeper, Jonna, is one of a kind. She was very helpful in directing us to opportunities to have fun, fine food, and entertainment. She is a sparkling conversationalist, too. One evening, another couple and we sat chatting with her for more than an hour. On our last morning, we all sat at the breakfast table for two hours and talked and laughed. We never felt rushed, and there was plenty of spectacular food and coffee to go around.

We like this aspect of a B&B -- getting to know the innkeepers and the other guests. We have been to others where we saw no one (guest or staff) and spoke to no one after check-in. At one, we had to cajole the innkeepers to sit with us at breakfast and chat. Jonna knows how to make people feel at home, and we felt lucky that the other couple, although half our age, enjoyed that aspect of B&Bs, too. A third couple spent one night there, and we enjoyed talking to them about their experiences living in Belgium.

Some of the other reviews have mentioned the cost, as if it is kept secret and sprung on you at check-out. Of course, this is not true! I was willing to pay the price (which you could easily pay for a single room in a big city hotel -- without the breakfast) because of the high quality and feeling in a small way we were contributing to the ongoing preservation of this beautiful historic house.

Of course, you will want to see the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Sites and dine at the Culinary Institute of America, both in Hyde Park, just down the road. Not only did we have fine food at CIA, but we met and spoke with a number of young people studying food and hospitality, and they were delightful.

There's a lot to see and do in Rhinebeck, including wonderful small restaurants, antiques shops, boutiques and a movie theatre. You'll enjoy a stroll along the streets. This next suggestion may seem unusual -- stop into the post office to see a wonderful representation of the post offices built during FDR's New Deal era in the 1930s and 40s. It's stunning!

All in all, I'd say the trip to Rhinebeck and the stay at the Olde Rhinebeck Inn were among the most delightful experiences we have had in a long, long time. We recommend them to you, too!

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank Scion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Reviewed 10 August 2005

When I got the bill for this place I was shocked! What a ripoff. You can stay at the beekman arms for half the price! I dont believe the reviews that were written about this place. I guareentee its the innkeeper writing them. She is an internet WARRIOR!

The place is nice but for the money I can go on a carribean vacation!

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Olde Rhinebeck Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2005
I was surprised to see such a response and wondered who of my guests was so disappointed in their experience. As we are such a small property, it was not difficult for me to review who actually stayed here in the month of June. While we usually have many guests from NYC, that particular month there were only two. So, as upsetting as this is to me I have every reason to believe that this review wasn’t written by a guest at all, but perhaps instead prompted by an envious competitor, or simply someone with nothing better to do. By the way, we have no pool, no gym, nor accept pets.
We realize our price ($195-$275) does not meet all budgets, but our rates have remained the same since the day we opened seven years ago, they are clearly posted on our website and are known at the time of booking.
I have been so touched by my guests who have taken time out of their busy lives to share their opinions, and write such praise. I would like to thank them now for their kind words, and look forward to seeing them all again soon. Tripadvisor can be a wonderful service; however it is reliant on the integrity of the individuals who participate.

Respectfully Submitted,
Jonna (Keeper of the Inn)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2005

This B&B is one of the most wonderful places I've ever stayed...and I have traveled all over the world! To start, the property is absolutely gorgeous and offers an incredibly historic flavor. It is also in a wonderful location and is close to town and all of the Mansion Tours. Every detail of this Inn is remarkable and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. We stayed in the Plow and Harrow Suite, however, we were able to see all of the rooms before other guests arrived. ALL rooms are gorgeous, each having their own personal touches. The inn's web site (-) offers a very good representation of how the inn actually appears...except, it is better in person. The owner, Jonna, and her husband, Dave are truly wonderful people. Jonna was so kind to give us tips on where to eat and tours to take, in addition to making us a divine breakfast each morning of our stay. Her charm and sweet character really added to the wonderful experience we had while visiting. I cannot wait to go back to visit and stay at this charming inn. If you want a wonderful B&B experience, don't think twice about staying here. You will love every minute of it!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank GreatTravelsPhilly
Newington, GA
Reviewed 9 July 2005

Myself and three of my sisters from Georgia had the wonderful pleasure of staying at the Olde Rhinebeck Inn in Rhinebeck, New York. The Inn itself is lovely and furnished in period furniture but with the amenties of today as well. The Innkeeper was so wonderful to us. My sisters and I can be overwhelming at times. Since we are from the South, we tend to all talk at the same time but we do have a wonderful time when we travel. We spent two wonderful days and nights at the Inn and would highly recommend it to anyone up that way. Jonna, the Innkeeper, is a dear and we became quite attached to her. And be sure to pet Streudel, the dachaund, while you're there.

3 Thank dorislNewington_GA
Reviewed 22 May 2005

This is a fantastic inn. The rooms are all beautiful, the innkeeper is wonderful and the food is incredible. I can't recommend this place highly enough - we stayed here for a weekend, loved it, and will stay again the next time we travel to the area. Word of advice: book WAY in advance for the Bard and Vassar graduation weekend or for Memorial Day weekend.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Switzerland
Reviewed 21 April 2005

My wife and I returned to this delightful country inn for the second time (first visit, September 2004), and we have nothing but praise again! Charming rooms, absolutely scrumptious breakfasts, and of course, the wonderful warm hospitality of our favorite innkeeper, Jonna. What a charming getaway. Not to be missed!

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank rdst
Reviewed 28 March 2005

My husband and I just returned from a two-night trip and were thrilled with our experience. Although the rates were more than what we would normally spend, we came away knowing our stay was worth EVERY penny! Beautiful rooms, delicious breakfasts, charismatic hostess - plus all of the little touches that make it a PERFECT place for a getaway weekend!

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
The Homestead
The Homestead
#1 of 16 in Saugerties

Been to Olde Rhinebeck Inn? Share your experiences!