“Our Fall getaway weekend” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast

Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
long island,new york
“Our Fall getaway weekend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Let us begin with the fact that I really did not want to write this review (you will see why) but felt it was necessary. We rely on reviews from trip advisor when traveling and felt it our obligation.Starting with the entrance to this B & B....Awful. The proprietor Edith was not there... the house was unlocked and no one was there. She came in shortly after and made some excuse of why there was a mess in the entry living room.Apparently there were some lawyers staying with her and left papers strewn all over the floor and furniture! Not quite the welcome scene you would expect.Let us add that we have stayed at many B&B's and never were they so unwelcoming. That is just the start. The house was soooooo unkept and dreary. Curtains had probably hanging for YEARS and not laundered!Edith offered us a glass of wine and we brought it up to our room and took a walk. Our room was o.k. no availablility to lock it when you left and the stone stairs to get out the back were not safe to walk on. Breakfast the first morning was OMG. Nothing you couldn't order in a local diner. We had eggs and toast and when asked for some fruit was brought out 2 bowls filled with cantelope which was hard and not even ripe. Of course we could not finish all of it, not only was it too much but didn't taste very good either.Chalked it up to "oh well" and went about our day.We went to our room showered and left for the day. We returned to find still a mess in the living room.When we got up to our room we found the bed had not been made, the towels from our morning shower were not replaced with clean ones and the wine she offered us the day before was still on the table. We were the only guests in the B&B as the attorneys had already checked out before we checked in . Maybe she was too busy cutting up unripened cantalope to tend to her guests. Second morning breakfast we had pancakes, it was so long ago I don't remember...point is we again asked for some fruit and were told that we hadn't finished the fruit she brought us from the day before so there would be no fruit!!!!!!!! as you could guess we were pretty much anxious to leave. Edith had a TIP JAR on the table when you exited and I can tell you it was not going to be fed that day!Just a little add on. If you are contemplating a weekend in a B&B in the fall try another place. This is not a "some people are never happy" review. We have never had to write one this bad. Mostly our experiences are wonderful and we write wonderful reviews. Unhappy in NY.

Room Tip: Couldn't say but ours was #4 QUEEN Bed tv did not work
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank lovinny2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

What can be said better than...absolute bucolic calm and quiet. If you want a place to which you return repeatedly, this is it. Miss Edith was gracious in all aspects and quite the charmer.
I initially had phoned another B&B on my trek to bring my daughter to begin her freshman year at Bard College. That proprietress(at the Red Hook Inn) had no vacancies but encouraged me to come to her place and that she could find a place for myself and my daughter...she found the Bitter Sweet had a vacancy for two nights.
I would have stayed my entire time at Miss Edith's but her rooms were full the last two nights I was there.I hope that I can stay the entire time when I return through the years as I visit the college.
Those things being stated, let me elaborate...perfect breakfasts for my daughter and myself(I a lacto-vegetarian, she a ovo-lacto-vegetarian)...a photographer's paradise both outside and inside...Miss Edith's macaw,a beautiful specimen which I've some familiarity with as a volunteer at the N.O. Audubon Aquarium...I had no clue that others were in the house as the rooms were so quiet...a house that is reminiscent of the Beauregard-Keyes House (in the French Quarters of New Orleans) with items of interest on the walls, floors and on the furniture itself, a visual stimulation that is dizzying in its richness like a museum.
Perhaps the most endearing aspect of the home is Miss Edith herself. Engage her in conversation and you will be enthralled with tales that span generations and geographies...family & friends...a joy.
Trust my words and make this a stop on your travels if you will be in the area. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

Proprietor is grumpy
Location is good and gardens are pretty but house is fairly rundown and cramped with Peeling wallpaper, damp smells in the air and bedclothes
We thought the belvedere the other side of town MUCH nicer
Did not sleep well needs a major overhaul

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank frequenttravelusa
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

This was my third time staying in a B&B and so far the warmest experience. All of my dealings with Edith were very sweet. The house is over 200 years old and has such wonderful charm. Our room was very comfortable, especially the bed, which had great down bedding. We were made to feel so welcome and it truly felt like being at the home of a friend. The breakfasts were all delicious. Sitting on the front porch and admiring the flower garden was very pleasant. We are definitely looking forward to our next visit with Edith.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Samantha S
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

...but I don't think we could have picked a better place. It was a quaint house with pretty decorations. It was one of the only B & B's that could accommodate 3 people in beds (I was not going to sleep in a cot). Edith was very hospitable. It did NOT smell like smoke like one of the other reviews said. The food in the morning was absolutely delicious and filling. I also enjoyed my early morning run in the neighborhood past local farms. Also, I think the location was perfect. We were close enough to Hyde Park (we went to the CIA), but the only cool town to walk around in was Rhinebeck Village, which we were super close to. If we ever go back to Hyde Park, we will surely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, which was near the front door.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicole W
Teaneck, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

I made a reservation for 1 night only for me and my boyfriend. I had emailed the owner (Edith Thomas) beforehand asking if she had an available room. She wrote back confirming that she did and so I proceeded with booking the room. We arrived late (approximately 10pm) that Friday evening. When I went back downstairs to pay the bill, she printed the receipt that reflected the cost of 2 nights ($190 x 2 nights), instead of the 1 night I had requested. When I told her that I thought the cost was incorrect, she barked “You have to stay 2 nights. This is the policy. You should know that, come on!!” It was late, there were guests sleeping upstairs, I was exhausted; I thought it was best not to argue at that moment. I decided it would be better to just pay graciously and resolve the issue with my credit card company later - big mistake for me to sign but I learned my lesson. The fact is that her 2 night minimum stay policy is not stated at all on her website and was not stated in her email confirmation to me. If I had known this, I would definitely not have booked the room. This is very misleading to customers and bad business practice.

Also, she was extremely rude to us. She used a very aggressive tone with me when I told her the bill was incorrect. She also told me that my boyfriend (who was understandably grumpy from all the driving & there didn’t say much) was an “American [...]”, which was highly inappropriate and offensive. Of everything I mentioned above, the worse offense is the deliberate omission of the 2 night minimum policy from her website and her communication with me, the customer. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS B&B.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank alifafa
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Just enjoyed a lovely weekend stay at Bitter Sweet B&B. I usually am not a huge fan of B&B’s, as I find hotel’s more private and comfortable. However, Bitter Sweet has changed my mind. It was clean, accommodating, comfortable and private.

We stayed in a room with a private bath on the second floor over the kitchen. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, which was a huge plus! Our room felt very private and we could not hear any of the other guests in the morning while breakfast was being prepared below. Breakfast was also a nice treat. Wonderful coffee and a delicious vegetable frittata served with toast and bacon. Very very tasty!

Edith, who owns the Bitter Sweet, was a delight and we wished we would have had more time to sit and chat with her. In the evening before we went out for dinner, we sat in the living area and enjoyed a glass of wine. Edith was very accommodating and made us feel right at home. Later in the evening, we sat on the front porch to enjoy the lovely space.

The house and property are decorated beautifully and the price was very reasonable! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Old Stone Farm
Old Stone Farm
#8 of 15 in Rhinebeck

Been to Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!