“Size Doesn't Count Here!”
Review of Matchbox Cafe

Matchbox Cafe
Ranked #11 of 55 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Size Doesn't Count Here!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just discovered this cozy sized eatery. When you're in the mood for some yummy, simple but not unsophisticated comfort food, pull into the Matchbox Cafe. Rhinebeck is usually noted for its more upscale dining, but this place could be a regular stop for us. We enjoyed the chicken parm (big enough for two), juicy burgers on good buns, and exceptional fries. Save room for the truly awesome cappuccino ice-cream sandwich, fresh baked brownies & cookies.The owner-cooks (as well as the prices) are welcoming and friendly. They use really fresh top quality ingredients here, and know what to do with them. It's a little treasure!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank lolow

New York City, New York
“Vegetarian-friendly”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

"Comfort food" often means it's not a good place for vegetarians. But Matchbox Cafe's veggie burger is absolutely delicious - perhaps the best I've ever had. Toppings included avocado, lettuce and tomato, and even the bun was excellent. They are also willing to work with vegetarians for other selections. Great casual place, and will return very soon!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank solnaphiladelphia
Greece
“A well kept culinary secret”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The owners who also cook and run this little place are amazing hosts and know how to sell their tasty fare of sandwiches,burgers and cakes.They proudly speak about,local only, fresh ingredients and their open kitchen is visibly ultra clean.
The landlord's family originates from Thessaloniki Greece,thus a proof that Greeks are everywhere.
If you happen to drive upstate New York along the Hudson,this place is definitely worth a stop.

• Visited May 2014
Massachusetts
“Great sandwiches and incredible baked goods”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stopped here based on a recommendation from the owner of the B&B where we were staying, and we're really glad we did.

We sat at the bar and the owner came over to chat. He was really friendly and talked about his bakery in Manhattan where he could no longer make his signature brownies (since Mayor Bloomberg had outlawed trans-fats :))

The burger, reuben and hand cut fries that we had were really tasty - and filling. We couldn't resist the brownie selection on the counter, but we had to take them to go. The only complaint is that we should have bought more. We shared three different brownies and they were all delicious.

This is a great place to stop when in the area.

• Visited December 2013
Pine Plains, New York, USA
“Hands Down the BEST Fried Chicken EVER”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I love Matchbox. The owners are always there and always friendly. I have never had a single bad bite of food here. I love, love, love their fried chicken. It is absolutely the best fried chicken I've ever eaten. I have learned to call ahead because the fried chicken takes 20-30 minutes from the time you order it. That's because they make it fresh every time. It never sits around. When you get your plate the chicken is thermonuclear. It stays hot for every last delicious bite. Now the reason I've learned to order it ahead of time it because I know that if I'm there waiting for the chicken to be cooked I'm going to be tempted to get some cookies or a butterfinger brownie or piece of red velvet cake or a piece of carrot cake and I want to be on the verge of starving when my chicken is ready.

The fried chicken comes with fries that are also fresh and delicious.

So my tip to you is call and order your fried chicken 25 minutes before your will arrive and get a cookie or any of their desserts for after the meal.

• Visited January 2014