“Ok but needs some work”
Review of Albany Post Roadhouse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Albany Post Roadhouse
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After passing this restaurant for years and seeing all the name changes we decided to give it a try last Friday night for dinner.
The restaurant was not very busy and we were seated quickly.
In spite of the fact that it wasn't busy it took quite a bit of time to be acknowledged by the server, now this could have been because we were waiting for two friends to join us but the wait seemed excessive regardless.
We ordered two appetizers, the Thai Calamari and the potato chips. The calamari was good but quite a skimpy portion for the 10.95 price tag. The chips were very good.
For entrees two of us had the steak. While I did not have steak they appeared to be cooked properly.
I tried the fish and chips which was ok. It had decent flavor, a small portion again, four small pieces of maybe an inch wide and 3 inches long but in this case I believe this entree is a little lower priced so maybe that's alright. The rosemary fries were good but not really rosemary fries it truly appeared that these were just regular fries with a sprig of rosemary placed on top.
We also tried the Porchetta which was the most confusing of the dishes. There were some bites here that we tender and delicious and other bites from the same cut were tough and had very little flavor? Odd that you could get this kind of variation in a single piece of pork, the portion here was very large.
All in all I would rate this is ok but I feel they have a lot of inconsistency to work out and with the competition level of other Rhinebeck eateries they had better get it fixed very soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Discovering Albany Post Roadhouse was delightful. Walking in and be greeted with a warm welcome we immediately felt comfortable. In reviewing the menu could not decide as to what to order as there were so many items that calling out to me. I decided on the Italian salad (which was excellent, the balance and flavors were spot on. For my entree I decided on a Pepper Jack Cheese Burger with Rosemary Fries. It was one of the best burgers I have had in a long time.

Take the time to stop in and have a bite & while you are there don't forget to check out the amazing art work.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Put aside the superb menu, the perfectly prepared specials and imaginative combinations and also enjoy the whimsical and imaginative artwork around you. From the bartenders to the waitstaff everyone is there to make your meal a fabulous experience. These folks really know how to do it and do it well.

1  Thank jesse64
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've lived in the area since '72, when this site was the home of P.J. McGlynn's and the 1776 Tavern. Over the years it has changed hands frequently, often not for the better. From a great family restaurant, it went Mexican, upscale, downscale, nouveau cuisine, etc.. This last iteration has been good but the recent addition of a new chef has made it great. We were promptly seated by an attentive staff, drink orders quickly filled and appetizers appeared within a few minutes. The steak was prepared to perfection; medium rare is usually medium but here it was exactly as medium rare should be. The coconut shrimp were terrific as was the sesame linguine accompanying it. Then the desserts!! Make sure to leave room for the desserts. From the ultra-flaky (almost filo) crust of the perfectly not to sweet apple pie to a heavenly light tiramisu, it capped a perfect meal. I read a review that found fault with just about everything here; I'm very picky and found fault with nothing; from the moment we entered to the moment we left, it was a wonderful dining experience. One review said there are better alternatives in the area. I'd offer there may be comparable offerings, but few better. And given the pricing in the area since the Culinary Institute moved into the area, the cost is reasonable.

2  Thank 2drchevy
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Seven of us visited the Albany Postroad House last night for a meal that, with one noted exception, turned out to be a delicious surprise. Starting off, we were pleased to find from our server that there were, on tap, Keegan Ales, a Kingston, NY brewery noted for its fine IPA and stout varieties. The other adults ordered mixed drinks and Cabernet and were quite pleased with them as well. Starting our meals with salads, everyone was quite happy with them and my salad, with a balsamic vinegarette was among the best I've ever enjoyed. Our entrees were equally as enjoyable ranging from my grilled steak which was thinly sliced london broil with excellent mashed potatoes to short ribs which were as good as the ribs enjoyed by two of the dinners.
The only blemish was the macaroni and cheese ordered from the Kid's menu. I don't know of many children who look forward to the complex flavors of the cheese mix as baked here. Most establishments do realize that kids' meals need to be of simple tastes. The young diner did mention that next time she'd order the hot dog.
Filled by our entrees, we cannot report on desserts, but were well pleased with what we had enjoyed. We shall return in the not too distant future and are happy that this restaurant, home of dining establishments since the 1950s and possibly earlier is a worthwhile spot once more.