“Old fashioned variety store!”

Al Stickle 5 & Dime Store
Ranked #1 of 8 Shopping in Rhinebeck
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stepping into the A. L. Stickle 5 & Dime store is like taking a trip into the past. I relived my childhood as I wandered the aisles of this old variety store that does, indeed, carry a wide variety of items. The store has craft supplies with yarn, embroidery thread, fabric and other needed items as well as classic toys, puzzles and games. You can find household items that you don't see in other stores and I was delighted to find a flexible bowl scraper to get the last of the brownie mix out of the bowl and into the pan. I also found a charming sheep cookie cutter to buy for a friend. My friend found wooden clothespins that really work. The store is an historic landmark, originally built in the 1950's by A. L. Stickle and it is still run in the wonderful old-fashioned, friendly, neighborhood way by his grandson Matt. When in Rhinebeck, I make it a "must visit" stop. I always say "If they don't have it, you don't need it!"

3  Thank LongIslandMabel