“Fun for the history buff”

The Tavern at the Beekman Arms
Ranked #6 of 55 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fun for the history buff”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This bar is so full of history, and I'm a huge nerd for that, so I loved it. We grabbed ourselves a glass of wine (me) and a scotch (him) and wandered around the various rooms looking at all the great artifacts on the walls. Then we settled into some cozy chairs in front of the fireplace to chat. It was later in the evening so it was pretty quiet - a great respite from the whirlwind of family holiday gatherings.

It definitely doesn't have the polish that a lot of Rhinebeck establishments have now. Ceilngs are low, lights are dim, it has a bit of "grandma's parlor" vibe about it. But you can get a posh, modern-looking restaurant experience anywhere. This place feels like it's been around since the 1700s, which, of course, it has. George Washington and Alexander Hamilton both slept in the Inn (meaning they probably ate in the tavern - cool! I couldn't help but wonder where they sat).

I can't speak to the food, since we went after a big family dinner, but it's a nice mellow place to get away and have a drink and a trip through history.

• Visited December 2013

new jersey
“Great food and ambience”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Loved this old tavern--great food and service. Inside very old like Williamsburg taverns. Reported to be the US's oldest Inn.

Visited July 2014
Warwick, New York
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Looked so quaint and beautiful on the outside, combined with a sign that claims it's the oldest tavern made it seem like a good choice. We were seated right away which was a good thing but the fact that it wasn't so busy should have been a flag. the hostess comes over tosses the menus on the table and walks away,no eye contact, no welcome to the restaurant, just tosses the menu on her way to wherever else she needed to be . I ordered filet mignon and my husband ordered flank steak. I ordered my steak medium rare and got it medium well. It was so dry I couldnt even finish it. Was not a great experience. I will say that the waitress was sweet.

• Visited July 2014
Rhinebeck, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not This Time”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

While I have had good meals at this restaurant, this time my meal was poor. My wife's meal was fine. We ate outside and the service was not stellar.

Visited June 2014
Ship Bottom, New Jersey
“Average Service, Slow on Meals, High on Price”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The "Oldest Inn in America". This restaurant was highly recommended by friends. Scenic and historic inside. We went for lunch. Service was just ok-waitress forgot to tell us specials, took a very long time to bring food. When our bill arrived it included a glass of wine we did not drink-some excuse about someone else added that to our bill. Was expensive for lunch. Hostess was not particularly friendly when we arrived or departed.

• Visited July 2014