“Good 2 Night Stay”

Ranked #5 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Avoca
“Good 2 Night Stay”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Delamater this past weekend (for the Hudson Valley Wine Festival). Our second year staying with you and it was just perfect! The grounds are lovely and our room was beautiful!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
NYC
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our small old-fashioned room was well designed, and we liked the layout with a shared porch and parlor, but we had no air conditioning on the second very warm night of our 2 night stay. When we called the office, we were told that one thermostat controlled all the rooms on the floor. But the parlor where thermostat is located was already very cold and setting it colder did not turn on the air conditioning in our room; we sweated. When we reported this at check out, we were basically told sorry too bad.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was not expecting much given Debogross' review but I have to say that could not be farther from what I actually experienced. We were in the "cottages" and they were neither fly-ridden or dingy at all. In fact, the room was very large and tastefully decorated. Everything we needed was at hand, including a surprise little kitchenette including a sink, coffee maker and a microwave! Bed huge and comfortable. I, too, have traveled extensively, and am not sure what the comments about service are based on, but this is not the Four Seasons and to expect that level of service and accommodation is unreasonable. I found the staff to be friendly and efficient, and the price was on par with what you receive. Frankly, there are not a lot of hotel options in the Rhinebeck/Hyde Park area above the Courtyard/Holiday Inn Express level...this is a very nice, in-town, historic option if you're visiting the area. The town itself is nice to explore, tons of restaurants within easy walking distance. Two suggestions for improvement if anyone from the hotel is reading this -- the WiFi needs upgrading ... I got no signal in my room and although not a huge problem is an inconvenience, and the sink made a very disconcerting burbling noise when the tenants upstairs used the water.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

There is much to recommend this pretty and historic town but the Beekman Arms should be avoided at all costs. This apparently 'oldest Inn in America' clearly hasn't arrived in the 21st century where customer service or modern facilities are concerned, although the hefty prices do not reflect this. I should have been alerted from the lack of assistance I received on the telephone when booking but that was but nothing to the appalling attitude I and others checking in at the same time were subjected to...in front of me, an elderly couple who were not offered any assistance with their bags and, when finding themselves having to 'request' this 'service' had to wait until someone could be, unwillingly, found. Then the bridegroom, who, on checking in, received no welcome, acknowledgement or congratulations, despite the fact that his wedding party would be the bulk of the rooms sold that whole weekend, and I was given a set of keys and had to find my own way to the 'cottages' round the back which not only look onto the car park, but staying in one of these dingy, fly ridden spaces also means you hear cars coming and going throughout the night. Wifi is unreliable, I had to unplug the fridge which had to be decades old and sounded like a car running constantly. The last straw was when we asked that they book us a cab to take us to our evening destination, a place we were not familiar with, only to be given a nasty scrap of photocopied paper with a set of numbers on it, and told we could book it ourselves. Apparently the Beekman staff are too busy to undertake this most basic customer service....certainly they seem to think they are above it and in 40 years of global travel I have rarely come across a more rude and offensive manners. There is no shortage of places to stay in and around Rhinebeck and I'm sure any one of them would be an improvement on the Beekman Arms...they certainly couldn't do worse.

Room Tip: Do not stay in anything other than the main building and avoid the Cottages
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Sidcot73

Travellers are raving about these Rhinebeck hotels

Greenlawn, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Reputed to be the oldest Inn in America, I strongly recommend this Inn. My wife and I had an elegant room in the historic building. I did not see the somewhat newer conference center or other location so I cannot comment on them, but I do recommend the historic main house. Room was spotless, had some brandy as a welcome gesture, and the front desk was extremely helpful. Rhinebeck is a quaint town and fun to walk around. Not too far from FDR home/library. They serve a continental breakfast which is somewhat ordinary. The Inn is very well maintained and the landscaping is beautiful. Take some time to walk through the Inn and see if you can find the table where the Clinton's ate.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Albany, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Rhinebeck is a beautiful place and if you are lucky you will find a nice room at this hotel. But the quality varies considerably from historic charm to musty old rooms with dirty grout. I was in one of the musty options with WiFi that did not work and a TV that went blank after 10 minutes of viewing. The rooms are large and the staff is helpful but the smell is a real problem. The food is generally good but breakfast is on the basic aide. The overall experience is good but ask for a room in one of the main buildings and insist on avoiding one of the damp cottages. Walk around town and enjoy the charm; restaurants and shopping are great. Also a nice conference facility.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank NYTraveler273
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stopped into the Beekman Arms for lunch, the food is excellent both in quantity and value and service is very promp. The atmosphere gives an impression of what it must have been like all those years ago. A must see venue.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
Hampton Inn Kingston
Roosevelt Inn
#1 of 4 in Hyde Park
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn? Share your experiences!