“Custard Curmudgeon”
Review of Del's Dairy Creme

Del's Dairy Creme
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Rhinebeck
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My buddy and I wheeled into Del's Dairy Creme for an afternoon confection on Sunday, August 11th following a great music series at Bard College. The couple ahead of us recommended an ice cream that had cake bits in it, so I asked the server for a taste before committing to my usual double-scoop cone. The man said "a taste will cost you two dollars", and I chuckled with him while I eyed the other flavors. It wasn't until about a minute into his escalating rants that I realized he was serious! By that time I just ordered a pistachio cone (without a taste), and he refused to serve me. He became cryptic and belligerent, sputtering caustic comments in broken English, and presumably similar sentiments in Italian. This wasn't just a guy having a bad day - this was a berserker who had gone over the edge. He was so volatile, and so patently nasty that in my opinion he should never come in contact with children (or anyone else for that matter), and should be listed on a public registry (Registry of Ogres) much like a convicted sex offender. It was no surprise to see my friend in a screaming match at the counter a few minutes later when he was charged fifty-cents tax on a dish of ice cream that was $2.75.
I guess being caught adding a 10% premium to the 8.25% sales tax in Rhinebeck upset this maniac even more, causing him to throw the change at my friend and spew his hostile tirade "I work harder than you" over and over.
So if there are people out there with masochistic tendencies who still might want to try this place, I am constrained to advise them to not be lax about the tax. He may be ripping off everyone just enough so that they don't realize it.
So much for the mirth of an old fashioned ice cream treat in the country. I would sooner undergo an unnecessary root canal than deal with this nut again.
PS - There are much better ice cream shops less than 2 miles down the road in town.
PPS - Turns out that the psychopath was Del himself, the owner and namesake of this nightmare.

1  Thank Bill S

Reviewed 30 December 2012

I love their grilled chicken pita sandwiches. The food is way better than their ice cream, and very affordable.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is not like a "Dairy Queen." Yes they have quality ice cream dishes galore, but also home made sandwiches, etc. I love their chicken (real).

Reviewed 31 August 2011

We loved Del's Dairy Creme, so much so, that we really wanted to bring it back to Manhattan with us on the back of a flatbed truck.

This is the kind of place Shake Shack and the Burger Joint try to emulate in the city, only Del's is the unmitigated real deal. They serve made to order, ridiculously tasty classics for just a few bucks and they do it extremely well.

They have bunch of options on their menu such as burgers, hot dogs, 3 kinds of fries, pulled pork, gyros, chili, milkshakes...oh yeah, and don't forget the ice cream!

We went with a burger and fries which were spectacular. The fries, no joke, possibly the best we've ever had. They were perfectly fried and salted, and impossible to stop eating. The burger was cooked perfectly as well and served on a yummy toasted bun. Simple and delicious. We finished up with the "Piece of Cake" ice cream, which had huge gobs of yellow cake mixed up in a vanilla chocolate swirl. We also tried the black cherry which was top notch.

The setting at Del's is also great. It's basically a spruced up shack with picnic tables on the side, and some indoor seating as well. As with nearly everything in Rhinebeck, it really takes you back!

Wish I could give this place 10 stars. Amazing.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

they have a small dining area and you can watch the cooks make your orders everything was very clean and it's not all burgers and fries the grilled chicken pitas are very cleverly put together and everything comes exactly the way you want it and the ice creme is very different from the other soft serve place loved it we go all the time