The Rhinecliff
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rhinecliff
See available hotels
Residence Inn Kingston(Kingston)
Courtyard Kingston(Kingston)
Rhinebeck Motel(Rhinebeck)
View Hotel
All reviewshudson rivertrain noisejacuzzi tubriver roomrailroad hotelamtrak stationchinese restaurant across the streetplank floorsprovide ear plugsculinary instituterain showerthird floorcomfy bedwalls are thinincluded breakfastgreat weekendlarge room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Rhinecliff hangs over the Hudson River next to a metro north train stop. It's rustic and casual and I suspect would be very romantic to stay there during a snowy night. We went to a wedding here and enjoyed the venue very much. The service was very accommodating and the food quite good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
jameschapm, Owner at The Rhinecliff, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for your comments, we love creating the conditions for a wondrous big day!
Kindest regards
James

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Rhinecliff in January during a very cold and snowy weekend. We were delayed getting out of the city by about 5 hours. So you can imagine how sluggish and "annoyed" we were by the time we finally arrived. (In all fairness, there was a fire on the track leaving the station and it was absolutely NOT Amtrak's fault that we were soooo delayed, but still, we were not in the best mood by the time we got to the hotel).
Upon check in, the receptionist was so sweet that she said even though the wine tasting ended a few hours ago, they would give it to us anyway as they realized how much we needed alcohol to feel better.
The rooms were great and spacious. With the snow falling down outside, we were semi-trapped at the hotel the entire weekend but it was probably the most romantic time we spent together. It was so exquisite to see snow falling, the Hudson River freezing over, and grabbing some wine with the best bartender - Jay - around.
We left feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. We have been recommending this place to anyone who will listen and it's taken me too long to finally write this review.
What a great escape from NYC.

Room Tip: Any and all rooms are great. If you are a light sleeper or have an acute hearing, be mindful that there are trains passing through. Honestly, if you hear them and they bother you, that's too bad. It's such a great hotel that I hope you can put the noise of the train passing by past you.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so so much for your lovely words, we are blessed with many wonderful, personable and happy employees, it's great when they are appreciated so!
Please don't apologize for taking a while to write, it's taken me a while to write back! But anyway, thank you again, come and see us again, perhaps without the three feet of snow next time!!
James

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My boyfriend and I went to the Rhinecliff for a romantic getaway. We took the third floor suite, an incredible room with a massive patio/balcony overlooking the Hudson, a corner spa and all the amenities one would expect. The hotel was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful, advising us on all sorts of things, and the included breakfast was delicious. The town itself is tiny, but an $8 cab ride was all it took to get to Rhinebeck, which is much bigger. For us, who live in NYC and do not drive, this was a fantastic option. Two minutes from the Amtrak station, easy to get to and cheap to get around. Such an easy escape for anyone looking for a pause from the hectic speed of the city. The only downside was perhaps the room felt a bit dusty, but I think the age of the hotel, coupled with being right next to the train line (fine for us but maybe not for those who are easily disturbed by noise), this might be hard to avoid.

Room Tip: Just bite the bullet and pay the extra money for the third floor suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
jameschapm, Owner at The Rhinecliff, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Mind you, when you pick the famous Room 304, the odds are in your favor for a truly super time indeed, just a few more degrees of temperature increase and you would have been able to enjoy the private outdoor deck too! It's very kind of you to take the time to make these comments for the benefit of others thinking of visiting, thank you and come and see us again soon! James

Reviewed 19 March 2014

While the hotel is a beautiful property and its staff is friendly, pleasant and accommodating, it's not enough to make me want to go back. Cleanliness is a bit of an issue. The floors and surface areas in Room 201 were dusty. The cushions on the pull out bed were stained and the fabric was torn in several places. I put the extra blanket on the sofa. The blanket was also stained and there were dust and hairballs stuck to it. The old wooden door to the suite has a large gap making it possible to look into the room - giving a nice view of the bed. The walls are thin. We could hear other guests sneezing, coughing (you get the idea) at all times of the day and night. On a positive note, we booked our stay through Group. I would have been sorely disappointed and a bit angry if I had paid full price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phyllis S

Well I’m so sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay with us as much as you should have! We looked into your comments right away and we found Room 201 to be pristine and clean as we would usually expect it to be, so I can only apologize profusely for any lapses you discovered, sometimes in the winter a room may not be used for a few days so I can only apologize again. We do take any negative feedback very seriously indeed and do thank you for your comments and for taking the time to let us know. The antique wooden doors which were painstakingly re-finished by hand are indeed very fragile and do develop cracks which are a continuous work to repair, we will work harder to keep them nicely filled! Generally there are compromises to be made when saving the historic nature of an old building between authenticity and functionality, sometimes indeed there are some weaknesses eg in soundproofing but we like to hope that ultimately the historic beauty of our property ultimately trumps these weaknesses. Thank you again for taking the time to write and we wish you well! Kindest regards, James

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was my first experience at The Rhinecliff. I wanted to get away from the city and stumbled upon this hotel doing some research on train hotels. Amtrak takes just over an hour and half from Penn Station and the local station is, literally, about a minute away from the hotel. The hotel itself is lovely - spacious rooms and bathrooms (our suite had a jacuzzi tub and a rainfall shower), a beautiful view of the Hudson, a sense of humor about itself and the trains that amble by throughout the day, and you're 5 minutes away (and an $8 cab) from Rhinebeck if you want to go out. The staff was kind, generous, and responsive. But also light touch - exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Snag a premiere suite for a jacuzzi tub and a rainfall shower
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
jameschapm, Owner at The Rhinecliff, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to be so nice to us! No but seriously, it was great having you with us, please do come back when you can get away again.....James