“A jewel on the Hudson”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, View, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at The Rhinecliff is a casual, fun, high quality, unpretentious gastropub! We feature local, seasonal produce, cooked simply, properly and with guts! Through the warm season enjoy outdoor dining on our patio overlooking the river, in colder times enjoy our cozy indoor bar and restaurant with fireplace! We feature craft artisanal beers and local wineries, our by the glass wine selections are broad and our cocktails seasonal and fun! Breakfast every day, brunch on Sundays, full dinner every day!
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had cocktails and charcuterie and it was perfect. The service was welcoming and friendly and the view is amazing. It's so nice to have a nice meal and a view. How rare.

jameschapm, Owner at The Rhinecliff Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Kristina,
Thank you so much for your very kind words, it means a lot to us to hear some lovely and positive feedback! Restaurants are so very difficult and fickle, most people who have an enjoyable meal of course don't stop to write a review, and of course those few guests who you let down with a less than stellar experience, boy do they let the world know! Hey, such is restaurant life! I know I lived for years on the wondrous Tapas Platter at the magical and now defunct Café Noir on Grand Street in Soho....and of course never wrote a review or told them how great it was.......guilty as charged!
So anyway, thanks again for writing Kristina, long live good bread, good cheese and cured meats, what else is there??!!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Anniversary dinner, restaurant overlooking the Hudson. Perfect, right? Wrong. The menu was unimaginative. My wife's tuna on salad was an ok piece of tuna on wet, insipid iceberg lettuce (had to ask for dressing) My simple chicken/spinach/cheese dish was inedible, the potatoes cold and mealy. When the manager asked if everything was OK, I confessed the chicken was awful. Would you like something else? Sure, I said, the crab cakes appetizer had been adequate. So he brought me those...and charged me! I didn't want to make a scene. How hard is it to mess up chicken? Well, they did. If you stay at the Rhinecliff, you're probably better off at the Chinese restaurant across the street.

4  Thank ajd1112

Dear Aj,
I'm so sorry to hear you didn't have a good meal with us, but unfortunately I really must take issue with your "worst meal ever" comment - when I was an idealistic youth I was vegetarian for a few years, I went to a posh hotel when on vacation in Athens and despite doing my best to pre-warn them etc etc, I was pretty much served four courses of shredded raw cabbage and carrots.....now THAT was the worst meal ever.....!
Seriously though, I am sorry we didn't perform on this occasion, we try very hard with our little restaurant and our menu this summer has generally been very well received, so I'm so sorry it wasn't up to par on this occasion. I do hope that if you're in the neighborhood again you may drop in and say hello so I can give you some other goodies to try!
Kindest regards James
PS I love China Rose across the street too, especially the Hunan Bean curd......

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a small dinner the other night at the Rhinecliff. In the main dining room, which is about the nicest place in six states to enjoy a meal.
The chicken was perfect, the burger was the best I've had in a long time, and the service was outstanding. We felt like family.
I would recommend the Rhinecliff to anyone visiting Rhinebeck or the Hudson Valley.

1  Thank John G
jameschapm, Owner at The Rhinecliff Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear John,
Thank you for your kind words! We've been trying very hard to ensure our service is great this year and we've put in a lot of work on our menus, so on behalf of all the team here thank you for coming down and enjoying yourself!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Three friends and I visited The Rhinecliff Restaurant the first Sunday in June; there were only four other guests there when we arrived. We were half-heartedly greeted by a waitress who took our drink and appetizer order as if she were doing us a favor. After a half hour of waiting for our appetizer in the comfortable chairs outside, we flagged down another waitress and asked if she could check on it for us (she apologized for the long wait, telling us it was a confusing time for them as a shift change had just occurred). When our original waitress returned, she plunked down the meat/cheese plate without a word. We almost left at that point, but the view was great and we had planned on enjoying dinner there. We noticed another member of the wait staff who was serving a nearby table and asked him if he could be our waiter if we stayed for dinner. Thankfully, he agreed. Ethan was a wonderful waiter and he happily took our dinner order - with more drinks as well - and completely turned a miserable experience into a joyous one, with many a laugh as the evening progressed. The food was quite good and we generously tipped Ethan (after confirming that he would receive the entire tip - for all the drinks, appetizer and dinner). My advice to restaurant: pay attention to the wait staff and the guest experience because not everyone is as patient as we were that night.

1  Thank DBJS
jameschapm, Owner at The Rhinecliff Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dearest D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write, actually Ethan and I did discuss the incident later that evening, I'm so sorry you didn't receive the proper service at the beginning, thankfully we do indeed have the wonderful Ethan who is highly adept at making everything right!

I'm happy you enjoyed the food and the scenery, we constantly work hard to keep our service tip top, clearly on this occasion there was a lapse for which I do apologize, I hope we may see you again sometime so I can meet you and apologize in person!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We attended a dinner event at the Rhinecliff, which we enjoyed, but probably the best part of the evening was the amazing view of the river. The food was OK, nothing special, though the desserts were very tasty. Service was good, but not exceptional.

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback which we truly do appreciate. Thankfully our river views are stunning, regardless of our occasional human inadequacies...hallelujah for that! We try very hard for our food to be great, often it is, but as is the challenging and fickle world or restaurants, sometimes perhaps, not so much as it should be.....we shall keep trying our very best though, thank you for taking the time!

Regards