“A Motel from the Past.”

and 1 more site!
Fountain View Motel
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Fountain View suffers from what many motels on the old By-Ways do. It needs work but the return may not be worth the expense. The room was clean, the bathroom fresh. The A/C worked fine. There is no wi-fi (we knew that) and no ability to book on line. Dated as everything was, the charge of $81 for a night was rather high. We stayed because we are fans of these motels and feel badly that they are disappearing. We won't be back to this one although there certainly was nothing wrong other than the little things.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fenway1958
FountainView1, Owner at Fountain View Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Clean, comfortable room for $81 a night. In this area, that is saying something. By the way, we have had high-speed internet coverage for several years now.

Thanks for the kind words,

Ed

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I guess I'm out of options in Richfield Springs, my 6th time since 2005 staying in this town. First I was not pleased with Village Motel, then I was very happy with a small motel down the road, but it closed its doors for some reason, so I then just tried the Fountain View Motel on rt. 20. The room was cute 70's charm but there were crumbs around the bed and the shower head leaked and sprayed the ceiling outside the tub and the owners were not friendly at all and the guy wound up double charging my credit card. For a Columbus day weekend, only three rooms were booked and we had a king reserved only to be told, the heat is not working and we had to take a double bed room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Aircraft C
FountainView1, Owner at Fountain View Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

I shouldn't take this personally but I do.

Apparently the reviewer blames us for the recent closure of a nearby motel owned by a friend of his. That is the only motivation I can think of for his review.

I charged his credit card only once, $54.00 plus tax. My family and I have been operating this motel for over 50 years and have never been accused of double billing. The procedures we follow make this impossible to happen. The reviewer was charged when he checked in and not again.

The condition of the room was perfect. We were busy the night before so I helped the housekeeper that morning and vacuumed the reviewer's room myself. I know it was clean. The guest that had that room the night before is an old regular and had nothing but compliments when she checked out. She even left a tip. I can only think the reviewer unscrewed the shower head trying to adjust it.

Regarding his other complaints I am just mystified. To impress him to become a regular with us, when he checked in, I offered him a free room upgrade to a larger, more comfortable room than he reserved. He accepted. We had a lot more than three rooms rented that night but we could still have given him a different room if he wanted, or he could just leave without being charged.

Again, it seems he stayed with us only to leave a bad review.

Pam and Ed Graepel

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Motels are pricey during the summer near Cooperstown and this is the best deal in the area. Rooms are clean and large, beds are comfy, chairs outside to enjoy the fresh air. Don't let the dated decor bother you-everything you need is up to date.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Our fourth stay at the Fountain view.
1. maid service is superb!
2. bed linen & bath towels, wash cloths are white & spotless!
3. Owners are on site & available when required.
4. Wireless Internet is available.

If you are in the Cooperstown area, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This was my first visit to the Fountain View, but not my first view of the swans in Richfield Springs. Over the years I've been passing them by for a loooong time!

My sister and I have been annual visits to Glimmerglass Opera for 10 years. We decided to make a change for the motel this year and here is where we landed. Not a bad decision. Very friendly and accommodating management. The rooms were very roomy and clean. Our party of four enjoyed sitting outside and chatting on the nice veranda in the evening. Once inside our rooms we didn't hear anyone else, but in the morning we talked to a couple down the way who wanted--like me-- to unplug the fridge during the night so that I didn't have to hear it go on (and off). every 10 minutes or so.

The main disappointment for me was the shower, which was barely more than a drizzle. I've been in places with water-saving showers before but this was extreme. I'm pretty sure that shampooing and fully rinsing my ear-length, relatively fine hair took just as much water in the long run, but at least twice as long of my time. I'd hate to think how long it would take my future daughter-in-law with long, thick curly hair to wash her hair! Two of my party were staying next
door and had a much better shower--what's up with that?

I hadn't brought my hair dryer, but was graciously offered to me at the front desk.
No breakfast included but I'd rather find my own anyway. The Tally-Ho just down in the street offers a great breakfast selection at a reasonable price.

We'll be back next year for another quiet clean stay at a very reasonable stay anywhere near Cooperstown.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank nwk_berlin
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed at the Fountain View many times. Great place. If you’re looking for the Hilton, this ain’t it. However, if you are looking for true Americana, this is a great example. Kind of like stepping back in time a bit and that’s a welcome change. The negative review above was unnecessary. These are hard working people with a nice place. They don’t deserve your unfair assessment. If you didn’t care for your experience, don’t go back. Let others discover this Central NY gem. Keep up the good work Ed!

Summerville, SC

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank flhcle
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This was our third stay at the Fountain View. When we first started attending the Glimmerglass, we stayed at hotels in Cooperstown. What did we get? Expensive rooms, marginal service & noise.

What do we have at the Fountain View? A large clean comfortable room, parking in front of our door, quiet & the maid service is well done. Three minutes from here is a Bank, Drug store, Groceries etc. Italian & Chineese food are available.

The Owner/Operator of the Fountain View is on-site and available to fix any short comings that may turn up.

All in all, the Fountain View is a good value. We will stay here again next year!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
#7 of 16 in Cooperstown
The Baseball Hotel
The Baseball Hotel
#2 of 4 in Richfield Springs

Been to Fountain View Motel? Share your experiences!