“Again, a nice stay”

Fountain View Motel
Saint James, New York
“Again, a nice stay”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed at The Fountain View Motel a few times. My mother in law had a summer camp in Richfield Springs for about 20 years. I love the area and since her place was sold I have used The Fountain View when visiting the area a couple of times.

The room was large and dated. It was also very clean. The bathroom was spotless. The refrigerator with 60 cent sodas is a nice touch. Ed is a nice man and he is helpful. He was very busy last weekend but took the time to answer any questions. I saw him help quite a few guests with directions or with recommendations of places to eat.

For the price you can't beat the accommodations. I will be back!

1 Thank Mike K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manlius, NY
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place is a classic "motor-court" style of motel and on a recent summer visit it was just perfect. We needed a "base camp" for exploring Cooperstown and Sharon Springs and with its location perched on the eastern Route 20 hip of Richfield Springs, across from the town's eponymous water supply, this exactly fit the bill.

Our room was spacious with a 1960s paneled ambiance. Everything was immaculate, the bed was comfortable and the front windows looked out towards the small reservoir with its fountain and faux swans. After a day at the Farmer's Museum it felt good to sit at the table enjoying the 60-cent Cokes from the refrigerator (a delightful touch) and rest our eyes on the water. A microwave was supplied as well though we did not need it.

After a good night's sleep I was fascinated to note guests photographing the fountain and soon learned why--on a clear and sunny morning, the spray makes for wonderful rainbows; it's fun to wake up to a quick walk around the water.

From what we could see, the Fountain View, though perhaps a little dated and dog-eared in places, is run well and kept sparklingly clean. The price is right, and the traveler can count on a restful stay. I would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, and all share the same view.
2 Thank kinnakeeto
Santa Fe
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very nice motel to sit outside of in the evening and admire the fountain in the local water supply--along with fake swans! The room was spacious, although the ceiling was water stained and the heaters had rust stains.I wonder about these older family owned budget motels--they have a nice feeling but I can't help but think I'd slap on more paint and add more pillows now and again. This part of NY state alternates the funky with the chi-chi--this motel is a good place located between both (funky affordable price, access to chi-chi Glimmerglass opera.). Anyway, it left a good impression and memory.

1 Thank landart
South Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have stayed at the Fountain View many times over the years. Love the place! I feel lucky to be able to experience a well preserved representation of what used to be. I don't expect a five star in Richfield Springs, but I get a good nights sleep in a clean room there. Ed might be a little quiet sometimes, but he's is a busy man wearing many hats. I've always found him friendly and helpful if I had an inquiry. Pricing? the Wyndam in Rome was charging $170.00 for the same night Ed charged me $90.00 for. In the mornings, I ride down the hill and get a great breakfast at the Chef's Diner. I enjoy supporting these locally owned hard working mom and pop Americans in small town America. Maybe you should too!

Room Tip: Room 12 is good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank flhcle
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've stayed at the Fountain View Motel for weekend family activities the past two years. The ownership is friendly and the place is clean and well maintained, although old. It's your basic motel room with all the necessary things one would expect for a budget room. It's well located, and quiet.

Room Tip: End rooms are quieter, but never been crowded.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Steve C
Byron, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My friends and I spent the weekend at the Fountain View and couldn't have been more pleased. The room was clean and fresh. It was close to the places we wanted to go. The owners were very helpful on directions and gave suggestions on other places to visit as well. We had a wonderful time. We would not hesitate to return for another stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jayne L
Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My Husband and I recently stayed at this Motel for 1 night from the minute we got there the owner was there to greet us our room was clean and ready for our arrival. I found the refrigerator with pop in it adorable I could not remember the last place I have stayed where they charge you 60 cents for a beverage and they ask that you put it on top of the fridge nice touch. When I asked the owner of another towel we received on at our room in 2 minutes. This is not the Ritz Carlton but it was not advertised that way. I felt the service was very nice and the room very affordable. You can not beat the location. NYS is a beautiful destination and I would go to this motel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Richfield Springs
No photo provided
Heritage Inn
#2 of 2 in Schuyler Lake

Been to Fountain View Motel? Share your experiences!