“Straight out of a horror movie”
Review of The Lake House

The Lake House
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Arriving to the area late at night and in need of lodging I logged into tripadvisor to find a hotel. After reading reviews for The Lake House I felt lucky to hear they had availability. Upon arrival my kids used the lobby restroom. To say it was filthy is an understatement. The lobby included magazine from a yesteryear, disheveled paperwork in multiple places, house cat roaming around, and the staff just added to the mystique. It's late, I'm tired and just want to sleep. I'm asked to pay before I'm shown to the room and in my moment of weakness I agreed. The room was upstairs where there was a common area. A child was sitting alone watching TV (it was quite late and where were the parents?). I was lead past a coffee/snack station and a overfilled trash can. My room was behind a curtain. There was a hallway to a staircase and my room was on one side of the hall and my restroom on the other side of the hall. The room furniture was dusty and the room in general seemed unkept. I immediately knew that I couldn't stay in this establishment. I truly felt uneasy and unsafe. In closing, I can't help but to suspect that all the favorable reviews I see for this hotel are completely made up and false.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank shoggs
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

As an owner, I am distressed by this review and puzzled. We do have vintage magazines in the lobby- a Cosmo from 1941, Good Housekeeping from 1948, local newspapers from the days following JFK's assassination and perhaps at the end of a busy evening in the restaurant the restroom might be unkempt- we are a busy place but our restrooms are cleaned twice daily and are never filthy. Since I am the "staff" late at night, I am not sure what mystique I added but it is intriguing to add mystique to a place. Should I be pleased or insulted? As for a child watching TV in the common area, it speaks to how comfortable and safe the parent felt that they could be in their room and their child could be watching a show they wanted. After all, if people are here, they are on vacation and how late a child watching TV is the parents' business. I don't have rooms behind curtains with staircases. Our furniture is dusted regularly and antiques are included in most rooms. Our building was built in 1843 and has served as an inn since then- part of its mystique is its age. Most find us to be a charming step back in time- I am sorry that this reviewer did not.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

My wife took her father and me to The Lake House for Father's Day dinner. There were 4 adults and 1 child in our party. We had not been there in a few years and were pleasantly surprised to see the improvements/updates. Service was prompt and our server Sue was very patient and gracious, especially dealing with our 6 year old granddaughter. The hostess was also wonderful. The food was delicious, well prepared and served promptly. The menu has enough variety to please almost anyone and yet is not so extensive that it becomes overwhelming. We highly recommend The Lake House Restaurant for dinner with a view!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2015

Thanks for the kind words- we love the Lake House and feel like custodians of a great place that will continue long after we are gone. We are glad that you enjoyed yourself, too. Come often!

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We attended our friends' wedding this fall. Lots of us stayed overnight and didn't have to travel after partying. We enjoyed being together and being able to dance the night away and not have to worry about driving. The Lake House was a great venue- unique, pretty and classy. The lake was a beautiful backdrop for the wedding. Even though it was a cloudy afternoon, there was a huge stage for the wedding with great views right on the water with the boats making a beautiful backdrop. Awesome!!!! The wedding reception was inside and perfect from food to service. Many of us stayed overnight at the Lodge and were very happy with all of our rooms. Now this has become our destination wedding venue for those of us still single!

Room Tip: Third floor views of the lake our awesome
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jeff d

We are honored by the review you posted about your experience with us. While we are constantly told face to face how much customers enjoy our service, it takes a very special person to proclaim to the online world that they should check us out. You are one of those individuals and we are proud that you do business with us, Christine Corrigan, owner.

Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

I wanted something romantic for my boyfriend and I, and I found this hotel online. I checked out the website which was informative and helpful. I called and was able to book a specific room that had a private bathroom and historical significance. All that went well. But when we arrived we walked in, and were instantly confused. There were no signs, just a cluttered porch. We walked farther and found a front room with multiple messy desks. No people. We walked to the bar in the back which had people but after standing there for ten minutes with the bartenders back to me we left and I called the number I had on my phone. The guy that answered was tired and annoyed that we were checking in and told us we weren't getting the room I asked for bc it hadn't been cleaned yet. We checked in at 7 in the evening. We were put in a cluttered room with a bathroom we had to walk out of our room to get to. The bathroom had a creepy picture of children playing with dolls and staring at you when you got out pf the shower.
The overall feeling of that place is washed up and creepy. There are tons of old things in there that are super cool, like old statues, paintings and stunning tiffany lamps. But the lamp shades aren't on lamps, they're sitting on tables. The whole time I was there I was thinking of how to renovate the place. It could be great but it seems haunted and they played old timey music that creeped you out even more.

The restaurant they have has the best food I've ever had, though. That chef was a surprise diamond in the rough and they had surprisingly good local beers on tap. The ambiance was terrible, just like the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank Katerivandamme
genedoowop, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

We really apologized to this guest and her boyfriend when we realized that they had not been greeted and welcomed when they arrived. We aren't sure how that all happened but it was not right and not how we treat our guests. We do have a lot of different things that we have collected through the years. Sorry she didn't like the reproduction of a picture of little girls reading from the the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We do have an amazing collection of stained glass lamp shades- a few are so old that I do keep them on table tops with small lights underneath so that the beauty of the shade can be enjoyed for the beauty of the old glass but the shade is not under strain. There are also many used as lamps- it adds to the charm of an historic building. I really like it when people tell me their ideas for changes. I enjoy their comments and have used some of the really good ones. Alas, not everyone enjoys the collections in the same way that we do.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Our basaeball team stayed on the 2nd floor of the Lake House. We had 8 families that all wanted to stay together and this place met all our needs. With older kids to toddlers there was something for everbody to do.
Thanks Chris & Gene for all you do to keep the Lake House so unique. Everywhere you turn there are more beautiful antiques. The boys love to fish off the docks while the adults could sit and watch the sunset. The food was fantasic. Going to Cooperstown for baseball was a great experience and so was the Lake House.
My only suggustion is a ceilng fan in the common area on the second floor.
.....I am still searching for a candle stick lamp like they have.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Michelle R

Reviewed 17 July 2012

I knew of a lot of challenges that would affect my stay at the Lake House, but in the end unfortunately there was just one too many
1) Hotel/Motel prices in the area are exorbitant for the quality of the facilities, but I knew that going in
2) The room was not just small, it was very small, but I knew that going in, perhaps not quite this small
3) The shower was small (I’m a larger guy, but I barely fit in it)
4) There was no onsite staff at the motel , staff is over at the inn, but again I knew that going in, we were informed when we showed up
5) positive- It was clean
So you ask what was the final issue, we spent $168 for this room and not only was there no soap or shampoo in the room, there was not even a cup for water so that I could take my medicine. That was just a little much at this room rate.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Randler

Thank you for your input about our hotel. Our rooms are regularly monitored for quality, but I do apologize that there were issues within your room. I will look into making sure the rooms are better inspected moving forward. I do hope that you enjoyed Cooperstown.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

When my son's baseball team was honored with a opportunity to play a game on the famous Doubleday Field in Cooperstown, NY, of course the family & I were going up to spend a week in this cozy little BaseBall Town USA. I searched the Internet of various motels, hotels and B&B in the area. I sure was glad when I discovered the Lake House Hotel. A wonderful, family run hotel just outside of downtown Cooperstown. The rooms are comfortable, spotless, and come with many extras (i.e. refrigerator, microwave, great coffee) The couple who run the hotel are incredibly friendly and helpful. Considering the low price, it's a tremendous value. Ditch the big chains and stay here.

Room Tip: Room 5 is a home run
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

The Cooper Inn
The Cooper Inn
#3 of 17 in Cooperstown
Best Western Cooperstown Inn & Suites

Been to The Lake House? Share your experiences!