“After reading others reviews....”
Review of The Lake House

The Lake House
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were completely confused upon arrival. When we tried to check in, the guy at the cluttered desk could not find our info. After a search on the computer with no luck, and after consulting another young gentleman, our info was located in an envelope among a stack of others. We were told to wait because they had to locate the keys. We were then told the room was offsite. My impression during booking was that we were staying in a condo on the lake.
After much confusion, the older gentleman told a young Asian girl to go with him to find a key and we were to follow them in their vehicle.
We arrived and I was very skeptical. When we entered I was happy to find that it was fairly nice inside. It smelled of pine ( it's made of pine after all) and we had the entire place to ourselves. We were given one room with three queen beds but no key to our door. The only key we received was to one of the outside doors.
There was a communal kitchen but since nobody else was staying over it wasn't an issue.
We were told that the lake was ours to use if we wanted to return to the main house. Which we did and it was a wasted trip. There was no suitable dock to hang out on, the shore had lots of broken glass, the canoe had no paddles....it was a dump.
We returned to the condo and I settled in to read reviews....after doing so I was happy that we didn't stay at the main site. Seems like we got lucky with what we got given everyone else's experience.
I called expedia to see if we could get a refund for the second night. The answer was no because the hotel has a no refund policy (wonder why?!!?!) ....we booked for two nights, ate the money for the second and stayed elsewhere.
Lastly......I think it's in poor taste that the owner comes here and replies to customers who repeatedly have bad experiences instead of fixing the problems. Obviously, there are issues and it's not the visitors.

Room Tip: Travel into Cooperstown.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Pegraney1973
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2015

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and suggestions. We will use it to improve our service and quality for all our guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have the chance to serve you again. Warmest Regards, Christine Corrigan Owner.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was in the Utica area this past week and saw a tv commercial for a concert this past saturday night in Richfield Springs,I contacted the Lakehouse and found they had a vacancy.When I arrived I was surprised as I was greeted by the owner as we spoke for a few minutes I learned that the Lakehouse has been around since civil war times and was once owned by Jack legs Diamond.My room had a fantastic view of the lake.The room was spotless the bed comfortable and plenty of hot water,all things I expect from a hotel.
The food was fantastic and the concert was fun.
I now know where to stay when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Any room that faces the lake
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thanks for the kind words- we love the Lake House and feel like custodians of a great place that will continue long after we are gone. We are glad that you enjoyed yourself, too. Come often!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The pictures of this place online looked very quaint and rustic. I was very much looking forward to checking it out. We got a phone call that day from a guy at the hotel asking us when we were going to arrive because nobody was there. Nobody was there??? I told him 7:15. He also told us a different address than what was on the website. The hotel was a mile away. We arrived on time and met a girl waiting for us on the porch. It was not the building they posted online and the girl seemed a bit... inconvenienced. I was a little surprised when we walked in. NOBODY was around. There was a living room area with a TV on that had very bad reception. She basically just brought us upstairs to our room, handed us the key, and left. The room was very small. Enough for one queen size bed, a dresser and a chair. It had a closet with a sheet like thing as a door. There was a big thick metal pipe going through the center of the bedroom wall and straight into the bathroom. The bathroom was a decent size. It had 2 bath towels, a hand towel and 1 wash cloth. None of them matched. The walls were so thin you can hear everything anybody was doing. We actually heard a man in the next room put his razor down on the sink. If there was any talking, we heard everyone's business. We put the TV on low. I went out in the hallway to see if you could hear it. Heard it as clear as day. And the "free wifi" they advertised is pretty much non existent. So don't expect to get reception. It's definitely not a hotel where they cater to you. If you needed something, I guess you'd have to call them and they would have to take the 1 mile trek down the road to help you. In the morning, I couldn't wait to get out of there. I left the key in the room because there was nobody to give it to. If this is what they offer, I suggest lowering the price A LOT because it definitely wasn't worth what i paid. I gave it an "average" rating because I did sleep well and it was pretty clean.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs because you hear everything going on from your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Sorry for the confusion. The building was originally built as a hotel at the beginning of the 20th century for guests of the springs- Richfield Springs was very popular as a place were people came for the medicinal and healthful purposes of sulfur baths. The building that we converted into the Town Houses was the original bath houses- the right side was for the ladies and the left side for gentlemen. For a brief time, the building was used as an assisted living place. The bathrooms are all new-since in the "olden days" there was just a bathroom on each end of the hall. We think it is important to preserve the architecture of past instead of building a new building. We love the parquet floors, the boxed beam ceilings in the dining room and think the linoleum is quaint. I guess its different strokes for different folks.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

After a hectic few days we headed back to Richfield Springs to open our house for the season and decided to stop for dinner at the Lakehouse.
We were surprised to find that over the winter they were able to hire chef Michael Gregory who we know to be one of the top chefs in the country.
The outdoor buffet he prepared was beyond reproach and as we had our grand daughter and her friend with us we had to stay for a concert they were having. Between the food and the concerts I think the Lakehouse is on the path to great things.

Room Tip: Say hello to the chef
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We do feel very lucky to have Executive Chef Michael Gregory at the Lake House. We hope you will stop in again soon. Thanks for noticing.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Where to start? There's much to say about this place because of the oddness of the experience, so I may be giving more detail than some would want, but because I found this so confusing, I want to paint a picture for those few who might find it useful. This review is not for The Lake House, which is listed here, but for The Lake House Townhouses, which is not but is run by the same proprietor. The address given for both is identical, but in fact, both do not exist at that same address: read below.

I had booked my room on another site. I stayed there because I was competing in a race the following morning, but my plans were finalized last minute because I was uncertain about entering, and this was the only hotel close by that had a vacancy. In any event, pre-race stays for me are a very utilitarian exercise – I just want to eat, shower, sleep, get dressed, and get going. No frills necessary, but I do have requirements: decent bed, enough pillows, and amenities as promised.

After driving 3½ hours, I get to Richfield Springs, about 12 miles from Cooperstown, NY where I will compete. I had kept my cell phone on airplane mode to conserve battery, and had gotten a voicemail about 2 hours earlier from Gene, who I took to be the manager or owner. He sounded a bit weary, I guessed because it was 8PM and getting late for check-ins. I call back to say I'll arrive in a few minutes, and when I get to the address given, I see a restaurant / tavern and outdoor musical venue, on the lake. It had basically the same name as the place I booked, but didn't look like the picture on the web site I had seen, so I continue driving, thinking it's a little farther down the road. I soon realize there's no other hotel and turn around. I go in and explain my situation to Megan, the clerk on duty, and sure enough, this is the right place. Only it isn't, quite—this is The Lake House. She is to escort me, each in our own car, to the place a mile up the road, far from the lake—these are The Lake House Townhouses.

On arriving, the facilities consist of the main building, which also was not pictured on the web site, and the separate set of eponymous “townhouses” which I recognized. Megan mentioned that the hotel had been an “old folks' home” before being converted, and I learned later that it was renovated in 2012. I was given a room on the 2nd floor of the main building. It was chilly inside. Storms had just gone through and the temperature would drop to 45 degrees. Megan said the heat had been turned off just recently by the town (!) and they had no control over it. By now I'm also pretty hungry and bit tired so I ask Megan where I can get a good hamburger and fries easily, which for me is a decent pre-race meal option. She said a McDonald's was close by but I demurred, and then she mentioned the restaurant / tavern where I had initially arrived. She was kind enough to take my order and place it with the kitchen when she returned. I would have to trudge back again to pick it up.

After getting set up in my room, I checked out main building. The 1st floor had several rooms on one wing as well as a large communal kitchen and dining room, tiny game room, living room with out-of-commission fireplace, and what looked like a reception area with desk, but no receptionist. The floors in the ground-level room wing were done in old linoleum; the living room was covered in carpet and a large oval rag rug. The kitchen had some rusted appliances on counter but no coffee maker as described. Broken promise number one. There was a big commercial side-by-side refrigerator but when I opened it it was warm inside. I would have to make other plans for my yogurt for tomorrow morning.

On my way back downstairs, I saw a mother and 2 children just standing and waiting, for what I'm not sure. They looked morose and at a loss. I drove back to the restaurant to pick up my burger, and while I waited, I had time to listen to an act performing in the outdoor theater. The band was playing a Journey song, and the singer sounded a lot like their actual singer. Prior to that, they played some other random Dino-rock at ear-splitting volumes, so I was actually relieved that the hotel was far away. Paying for my meal, the waitress needed to ask for my credit card a second time for some reason before we could settle up. While that was going on, I met Gene from the voicemail. He said that sometimes the refrigerator door latch didn't close completely but thought it was working now. The green light on top should be on; I said I hadn't noticed. In any event he would send someone over to fix it if necessary. I said I doubted it would be ready for me to use by the time I needed it, all things considered. I left with my food and got back to the hotel. The little green light was in fact on, but the door was not completely closed, and it was warm inside.

I go upstairs to my room. No in-room fridge or microwave. Broken promise number two. Luckily for me, I knew my yogurt would keep overnight no problem. The bed had a thick quilted blanket but only a couple pillows. I wanted one more pillow and an extra blanket just in case, but my room had neither. The doors to two rooms across the hallway were both open and they were vacant, so I wandered in and borrowed the extra pillow and blanket. Rooms had wood plank floors, and although hallway floors were partly carpeted, you could hear every foot-fall and closing door. The small LCD TV sat high atop an armoir. Since you couldn't adjust the angle down, the picture was shadowy and shimmery, so I had to put a towel under the base. The renovations had apparently included the bathrooms, and the location for the light switch almost seemed an afterthought. It literally took me 5 minutes finding it—wedged in the corner outside the bathroom, behind the hinge-side of the door. Windows had old, wavy glass and wood frames to match. Once I settled in, it was reasonably comfortable and mostly quiet. I ate my dinner in peace; the burger and fries weren't bad.

The take-away impression is of a decidedly odd experience. Although the staff were accommodating, the ludicrous confusion and lack of distinction between the locations of The Lake House versus The Lake House Townhouses suggests a certain indolence or indifference on the part of the owner. And the space fell well short of expectation. I can imagine that some would be pretty put off by these circumstances, and I've since read angry reviews by others. If you're looking for a one-of-a-kind experience full of local character, far from the big-box hotel chains, and you're flexible, this is your place. If on the other hand you want a hassle-free stay to make your life as easy as possible for a brief period of time, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Knuckle-draggeur

Thanks for your many observations and comments. We will consider each one carefully. We appreciate you staying and realize that this is not your average hotel stay. You are a very descriptive writer! Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I took a Columbus Day weekend up in Cooperstown and stayed at the Lake House in Richfield Springs. The room was a good size with 2 double beds, Bathroom was a good size with tub / shower . The room and bathroom were very clean and shampoo and soap were provided The Inn has canoes and rowboats free of charge.
There is no elevator, which doesn't bother me, but might put some people off.
But the tradeoff is that the prices are extremely reasonable, especially for Cooperstown Area. The inn is very clean, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We will be sure to return since this is close for us to travel also.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your kind observations- we are glad you enjoyed the view and being here with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

The rooms in this place were amazing, as we stayed here for the weekend. Love all the knotty pine ceilings and walls. Bedrooms are very quaint and gives you that homey feeling. However, as soon as we walked in the door, it smelled like cat pee, as well as the upstairs social area. I don't know if this is because it's their down season, but WOW!!! And no staff anywhere to be found...all day. The dining area looked like a storage closet and there were no place to sit even if we wanted to, let alone it was closed. When I called to make the reservation, the man that I spoke with on the phone was rude. When I was asking the man about the place, he kept trying to let me go, and when I asked him, "Am I inconveniencing you?", he responded by saying, "Well there's a concert going on" and I said, "sorry that the concert is more important than the customer". I then asked if he was the manager and he said yes. Well, when we got here, the man that greeted us was not the manager, but a man that said he was watching the place (He was wonderful, nice man). He also mentioned that there were renovations going on. But this man explained that there was no concert here last week and hasn't been since last year. So, where was this concert? The point is, It seems that there shouldn't have been reservation given to anyone considering there were renovations in progress. I am sure that this place would be awesome if cleaned up and organized, but it wasn't while we were here. I will say though that when someone on the staff finally showed, we met Christine (Owner) and she was lovely, helping us get whatever we needed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Coleburner
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

It is nice that these guests liked the rooms and the Lake House in general. They were aware when they booked that the restaurant was closed for the season. We are in the process of redoing our kitchen floor. Unfortunately, many of us have experienced the problem of having a contractor start a project and not be able to finish it on time. As I explained to both of them, it was taking longer than the time estimated and in fact, most of the kitchen equipment was in the dining area and indeed it looked like a storage closet- it was also closed off so that it would not be accessible to guests for safety reasons. As for the concert, she talked to my husband the week before to change her reservation while we were at a concert- at a different place- The Lake House has a summer concert series. We were just entering the concert hall when she called; my husband should have explained that better to her. We were with our five year old granddaughter and it was a little hectic getting to our seats just as she called. I know that John who greeted them played piano for them and that they enjoyed it and the wife also plays and is very talented- I wondered if she was a professional entertainer. I hope they will give us another try after the kitchen is back together and the dining room is ready for guests. it is beautiful here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield Springs
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites
The Baseball Hotel
The Baseball Hotel
#1 of 4 in Richfield Springs

Been to The Lake House? Share your experiences!