We were completely confused upon arrival. When we tried to check in, the guy at the cluttered desk could not find our info. After a search on the computer with no luck, and after consulting another young gentleman, our info was located in an envelope among a stack of others. We were told to wait because they had to locate the keys. We were then told the room was offsite. My impression during booking was that we were staying in a condo on the lake.
After much confusion, the older gentleman told a young Asian girl to go with him to find a key and we were to follow them in their vehicle.
We arrived and I was very skeptical. When we entered I was happy to find that it was fairly nice inside. It smelled of pine ( it's made of pine after all) and we had the entire place to ourselves. We were given one room with three queen beds but no key to our door. The only key we received was to one of the outside doors.
There was a communal kitchen but since nobody else was staying over it wasn't an issue.
We were told that the lake was ours to use if we wanted to return to the main house. Which we did and it was a wasted trip. There was no suitable dock to hang out on, the shore had lots of broken glass, the canoe had no paddles....it was a dump.
We returned to the condo and I settled in to read reviews....after doing so I was happy that we didn't stay at the main site. Seems like we got lucky with what we got given everyone else's experience.
I called expedia to see if we could get a refund for the second night. The answer was no because the hotel has a no refund policy (wonder why?!!?!) ....we booked for two nights, ate the money for the second and stayed elsewhere.
Lastly......I think it's in poor taste that the owner comes here and replies to customers who repeatedly have bad experiences instead of fixing the problems. Obviously, there are issues and it's not the visitors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake House Restaurant and Lodge was built in 1843 and rests on the shores of Canadarago. The lodge and restaurant are a secluded haven for those looking for a place to relax, fish, hunt, and simply get away from city life. Lake House Restaurant and Lodge is host to our ever popular sulfur baths, which is great for your skin and has even proven to heal skin disorders and help relieve arthritis. There is plenty to do out here Richfield Springs, including a short drive to the Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, or rent out a jet ski and explore Canadarago Lake. We also boast large out seating area, which is perfect for outdoor wedding or concerts. Hurry out to Lake House Restaurant and Lodge and stay awhile. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, Odigeo and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lake House Hotel Richfield Springs
- The Lake Hotel
- Lake Hotel Richfield Springs