“Enter at your own risk!”
Review of The Lake House

The Lake House
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This place is a dump! It's dirty and should be shut down as a hotel property. The week we were there we saw cats roaming the house and kitchen (hence the mouse poop on my pillow!), the water smells like rotten eggs (if you can even get it to come out of the faucet!) and the staff would not even address major issues like water coming from the ceiling! I can't believe this place hasn't been shut down.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Lisa B
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2015

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and suggestions. We will use it to improve our service and quality for all our guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have the chance to serve you again. Warmest Regards, Christine Corrigan Owner.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just returned home from our best get-a-way ever! I and my 2 children, 6 and 8 years old, spent the weekend here. We saw a musical at the nearby Glimmerglass Theater and spent the remainder of the weekend at the Lodge. We loved it! Every bit! The staff not only made us feel "at home", they made us feel special, the food was wonderful, the room cozy, rustic and elegant all at the same time, and the lake view beautiful. The kids enjoyed the row boat and fishing and Mom enjoyed the wholesome peacefulness. We even found the other guests inviting and delightful! We live only 1 1/2 hours away, Syracuse, and I've already told some of my friends here about our find. They're eager to pack up their bags and run away for a weekend at the Lake House! I'm sure they won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2015

We are honored by the review you posted about your experience with us. While we are constantly told face to face how much customers enjoy our service, it takes a very special person to proclaim to the online world that they should check us out. You are one of those individuals and we are proud that you do business with us.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

July 2014-We also were the victim of Gene and his shady dealings, stay AWAY from The Lake House. In our case he called on Friday to give us a different address to check into claiming the other address was his 'corporate headquarters and NOT a hotel"! Needless to say we wound up at the 'annex' where his staff cheerfully informed me that this happens all the time! The 'annex' was no where near a lake and absolutely awful!! The wifi didn't work, although I had confirmed with Gene on the phone it was available, which meant we could not look for another hotel!

When I spoke with Gene on the phone he told me we were welcome to not stay the second night. He had charged our credit card in January and when I told him he had our reservation since January he denied having charged the card and claimed Hotels.com did that not him! The statement clearly showed it had been The Lake House. He then asked what I expected him to do if he didn't have rooms! The man is a liar, and a thief!!

The place was filthy, the walls were thin, you could hear the staff getting ready at 6 am, most people checked out on Saturday morning, clearly no one who had a choice stayed the second night! There were bugs in the light fixture in the room. The towels were dirty, and before showering we needed to go back downstairs to ask for clean towels! The only charming thing about this place are the poor staff who work there. I felt bad for them, as they explained this happens all the time, and they don't know why Gene does this to people.

This is the worst experience I have ever had booking online! Fortunately the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce saved us and helped us a find a lovely B&B the Rose and Thistle which helped lessen the pain of our previous experience.

Gene has since tried to charge us for the night we did NOT stay, and I have disputed the charge with my Credit Card company.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LTGR429

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Do Not Be Confused! You may think you are booking at The Lake House only to find out you are at The Baseball Hotel. The week of June 29 to July 4, my grandson was invited to play at All Star Village, Cooperstown with his former team. This was a last minute invitation and thus there was not much time to plan. Rooms at reasonable rates were hard to find. Thus, I found myself at the Baseball Hotel. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I will keep commentary here short. The building is old and the place looks far more like a rooming house than a hotel. The wooden floors did not appear to have been cleaned recently. I was thankful for the one bar of soap and mismatched towels. After one night, I left and found much more traveler friendly accommodations. $125 per night is way overpriced! I would not ever recommend the Hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine anyone wanting to stay at The Baseball Hotel which is no bargain at $125 per night!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ellen B

Reviewed 29 June 2014

After I booked the reservations 3 months ago, I had approximately 7 communications with Gene, each time as confusing as the first. I had absolutely no confidence that I would actually have a room once I arrived with my family. Someone greeted us and after searching the computer for quite some time they were able to give us rooms. I wasn't sure if it was because they actually found the reservation, or they just happened to have vacancies. We were told to get in our car and follow Shane to our hotel. The hotel in the pictures was not where they had us staying. We arrived at a "shabby chic" building, not anywhere near any water, were shown to our rooms which were adequate but small and musty smelling. We never saw anyone else there the whole weekend which was very odd. There was a cat who lived there who was very thin, her food bowl was empty for 2 days until we went to the store to buy cat food for her. I was very concerned leaving her there and almost took her with me. Overall the whole experience was odd, not really bad, but if you're looking for a regular or upscale hotel, this isn't your place. I changed my reservation from 2 nights to one 3 days before arrival, (another 4 phone calls) it still wasn't clear that that change had happened at checkout. I guess i will see when my credit card comes in if they charged me or not. Not a restful stay. I hope someone takes care of the cat!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ann761

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were completely confused upon arrival. When we tried to check in, the guy at the cluttered desk could not find our info. After a search on the computer with no luck, and after consulting another young gentleman, our info was located in an envelope among a stack of others. We were told to wait because they had to locate the keys. We were then told the room was offsite. My impression during booking was that we were staying in a condo on the lake.
After much confusion, the older gentleman told a young Asian girl to go with him to find a key and we were to follow them in their vehicle.
We arrived and I was very skeptical. When we entered I was happy to find that it was fairly nice inside. It smelled of pine ( it's made of pine after all) and we had the entire place to ourselves. We were given one room with three queen beds but no key to our door. The only key we received was to one of the outside doors.
There was a communal kitchen but since nobody else was staying over it wasn't an issue.
We were told that the lake was ours to use if we wanted to return to the main house. Which we did and it was a wasted trip. There was no suitable dock to hang out on, the shore had lots of broken glass, the canoe had no paddles....it was a dump.
We returned to the condo and I settled in to read reviews....after doing so I was happy that we didn't stay at the main site. Seems like we got lucky with what we got given everyone else's experience.
I called expedia to see if we could get a refund for the second night. The answer was no because the hotel has a no refund policy (wonder why?!!?!) ....we booked for two nights, ate the money for the second and stayed elsewhere.
Lastly......I think it's in poor taste that the owner comes here and replies to customers who repeatedly have bad experiences instead of fixing the problems. Obviously, there are issues and it's not the visitors.

Room Tip: Travel into Cooperstown.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Pegraney1973

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was in the Utica area this past week and saw a tv commercial for a concert this past saturday night in Richfield Springs,I contacted the Lakehouse and found they had a vacancy.When I arrived I was surprised as I was greeted by the owner as we spoke for a few minutes I learned that the Lakehouse has been around since civil war times and was once owned by Jack legs Diamond.My room had a fantastic view of the lake.The room was spotless the bed comfortable and plenty of hot water,all things I expect from a hotel.
The food was fantastic and the concert was fun.
I now know where to stay when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Any room that faces the lake
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thanks for the kind words- we love the Lake House and feel like custodians of a great place that will continue long after we are gone. We are glad that you enjoyed yourself, too. Come often!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield Springs
#3 of 16 in Cooperstown
Lake Front Hotel
Lake Front Hotel
#8 of 16 in Cooperstown

Been to The Lake House? Share your experiences!