“An acceptable place to stay if you're going to Cooperstown”
Review of The Lake House

The Lake House
New York City, New York
“An acceptable place to stay if you're going to Cooperstown”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We didn't stay at the Lake House; we stayed at the Baseball Hotel, part of the same business, located at 10 Gould Avenue in the center of Richfield Springs, which is about a 25-minute drive north of Cooperstown. The pluses: We could get a room there at the last minute in late August, when pretty much every other hotel in the Cooperstown area was sold out. It was cheaper than any place nearer to Cooperstown, or in Cooperstown. And it was acceptably clean & secure. The minuses: There was not a lot of space to maneuver around the bed in our room. (I live in an apartment, so I'm used to tight spaces.) And the free breakfast was underwhelming. We went to the Tally-Ho diner instead. I'm not saying don't stay here; I'm saying keep your expectations in check.

1 Thank hushaphone
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this review, 8 November 2014
Dear guest- I am glad that you stayed with us at the Baseball Hotel. It is a great alternative to the high prices of Cooperstown and as you pointed out it is quick ride to the Hall of Fame. As I have mentioned, older buildings have smaller bedrooms than we are used to but all of our bedrooms are clean, attractive and comfortable. The bathrooms in fact are good size because when remodeling the building, we split a former bedroom into two bathrooms for the rooms on either side. Of course, complimentary breakfasts are not like paying for breakfast in a local restaurant which you chose to do but for most it is just enough and starts the day off in an easy and delicious way. Thanks for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Canton, New York, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had a wonderful wedding reception at the Lake House in August 2014. It has a rustic atmosphere that was perfect - pretty but comfortable. We were able to take lovely photos by the lake. The food was really excellent (we particularly loved the salad display). The event planner, Ruth, made everything easy, and all the staff were thoughtful and helpful. It has our highest recommendations!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this review, 1 November 2015
We are honored by the review you posted about your experience with us. While we are constantly told face to face how much customers enjoy our service, it takes a very special person to proclaim to the online world that they should check us out. You are one of those individuals and we are proud that you do business with us, Christine Corrigan, owner.
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband used AARP Travel/Expedia and sadly, we would have lost all of our money if we changed or cancelled no matter when. After I looked at the website and saw we were at the "Townhouses" I was really, really concerned. It reminded me of a "too good to be true" nightmare at the Poland Springs Resort" in 1976. Perhaps with several million dollars, this will once again be a nice resort and property. I refused to stay in the lodge near the townhouse, which we had been moved to. It isn't a good sign when the first thing your husband says when he comes to the car is "I think the air conditioning will work". I am not a camper, I don't want to be and for $160.00 per night, I don't expect to be. I spoke with the young girl who offered to give me her boss Chris' number, but I asked her to call. We wanted our money back and we would have driven less than two hours to my sister's. (We did not realize we would be that close). We were given the option of going to The Lake House as a room was available. After almost two hours, my phone call to customer service at AARP/Expedia and them calling the hotel, if we vacated the room (did I mention 3rd floor, yes, clean, yes private bath... but barely lights, no waste basket, and other things that need attention overall) we would get our money back. At that point, short of a divorce, our last night on vacation was ruined in my opinion and we were too tired and hungry to leave. We did go down to the restaurant, and the chef and food were great. I engaged in conversation with the man I believe to be the owner and a woman hostess... very nice, asked for two more pillows... and I had decided to just keep quiet, pray that they smoke detectors and sprinklers worked should we need them and eat and go to bed. PLEASE get rid of those plastic pads on your dining room chairs... they are FILTHY. Thank you to the chef and our great waiter. We walked around outside for a few minutes... again, nice touches with the fire pits... but those six boats at the dock make the Titanic look more lake worthy. Make a list and prioritize what you need to do. Your place might have a lot of potential. Right now, it's the worst $160 we've spent in awhile. Water pressure and shower head need to be fixed too... along with water temp. But at least the a/c worked.

Room Tip: Don't...
5 Thank Barbara M
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
It is true that the guest did not like the room- this was before she even had seen it. It is true that she spent two hours on the phone trying to cancel the reservation she made directly with Expedia and they did not allow a cancellation at the last minute. They did call me and told me that she wanted to stay for free because the A/C did not work. We checked it while the guest was on the phone and indeed it did work. She told our assistant manager who came to look at it (not a maintenance man) that she was looking for any reason to cancel with Expedia. The guest did admit that she had a good dinner and enjoyed the waiter. She then muses about her safety. The safety of our guests is very important to us. In fact, the guest was very safe because despite being a historic building, it is fully fire protected with a modern fire detection system and sprinkler system. In short, this guest was not a happy person and found fault with any accommodation we made for her- we moved her from room to room and finally when Expedia had agreed to refund her money and she could have been on her way-she decided not to leave!!! I think the most telling line was that she was closer to her sister's house than she thought and wanted to stay there. I wish she had- she did not know I was the owner and told me what a nice time she had- alas her poison pen smarts. We do have a list of priorities- making our guests happy is on the top of the list. The Lake House is a beautiful lakeside property that has been enjoyed by many guests for many years. It will continue long after I am gone and will continue to delight guests of all ages.

Travellers are raving about these Richfield Springs hotels

Morrisville, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my fourth year at the Lake House. Really enjoyed fishing on the dock.
The staff go out of their way to make sure you have a good experience while in the area. The view is fantastic and it is North of all of the congestion in downtown Cooperstown. The room was older but clean and a nice view of the lake. The rooms are well maintained and comfortable, and have an old style to them as does the whole hotel. I highly recommend this hotel...

Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thanks for your kind words- we hope you will visit again soon.
Manlius, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The low room price for the Cooperstown area had me worried, but we walked into an immaculate room. We were in the front room that had an awesome "lake view" and a deck. It was not a huge room, but perfectly sized for 4 adults and 1 child. The staff went over the top to make us feel welcome.
The family who owns and runs this Hotel went above and beyond for our team families. They have a full frig for food storage , microwave , great little breakfast area for our use. The grounds are well kept and the kids all loved fishing off the docks, swimming, and using the boats. Rooms are clean, a little dated, but in a quaint way. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Lake view is nice
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this review, 7 November 2015
We are honored by the review you posted about your experience with us. While we are constantly told face to face how much customers enjoy our service, it takes a very special person to proclaim to the online world that they should check us out. You are one of those individuals and we are proud that you do business with us.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was happily surprised when I arrived to see a lovingly restored building instead of a one size fits all hotel. We enjoyed a great dinner at the restaurant, met the chef and the owners and had a comfortable night sleep. The breakfast in the morning was good and the owner was there to greet us, too. I will stay again when I go to the opera next year.

Room Tip: My room had a new, large bathroom and was on the second floor.
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thanks for letting us know that you had a good time. Please come again!
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you are a baseball family coming to Cooperstown, consider any and every other option before booking at The Lake House. Maybe if you are single and like to crash at a night spot near the lake, this could be appealing. But for us, it was a bad experience start to finish. The room was essentially a part of the first floor entryway, with a bathroom that was just off the bar and restaurant. The music plays loud and into the evening. The walls are paper thin. The room was dirty and no one came in to clean in any way while we were there. We stayed for three nights of a planned six night stay. After having trouble sleeping every night, we decided to leave. We had been required to pay 100 percent up front for the reservation for six nights, which was about $1,000. We would gladly have parted amicably, having paid 50 percent and receiving 50 percent of the service. We respectfully requested a refund for the remaining nights when we did not stay, both in writing and in a phone call and were denied. They are seeking to take advantage of families coming to Cooperstown for a week of baseball. If that is you, consider another option. (Just like another family that posted here in July 2014, we will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.)

Room Tip: If you have children, certainly avoid the rooms adjacent to the bar/restaurant.
6 Thank John P
Christine C, Owner at The Lake House, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We are sorry that this guest was not happy with his room. As he promised, if we did not give him a refund, he would write a bad review and he has. I think his main complaint was that he was not with other families on his team and wanted to be closer to them and wanted a refund. This is a small, family run hotel which books in advance and like many in the area has a no refund policy because of the extremely short season. Our policy is clearly stated and he was aware of it prior to booking. It is easy to complain about a room not being clean, etc. and find fault when basically his problem is that he wanted money back after the fact, but in fact, people who stay in that room are very pleased with their accommodations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield Springs
#5 of 16 in Cooperstown
B&B Ranch
B&B Ranch
#1 of 2 in Fly Creek

Been to The Lake House? Share your experiences!