“Great Staff, Clean Rooms, Good Breakfast, Uncomfortable Bed”

Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Olean, New York
“Great Staff, Clean Rooms, Good Breakfast, Uncomfortable Bed”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here this past weekend for a wedding. The staff was very polite and helpful every step of the way, the hotel itself (hallways, lobby, etc.) is very clean and modern, and the room followed suit.

There was a slight sleep quality issue that I don't know what to blame on, so I'll give you the info and you can make your own move. We stayed in room 225, and throughout both nights of our stay (about every 3 or hours during the night) there was a very loud banging coming from the window side of the room (which faces the back tree-line). It could have been a door closing below the room, or some sort of cooling mechanism, or it could have been a person being a jerk. I really don't know what it was, but if I had to guess, it was some combination of the jerk and the door. Either way, I'd request a room on the front side of the hotel if possible, just to be safe. Also, the bed had a slight sag to it, and my sensitive back ended up sore both nights. It wasn't nearly as bad as you'd normally expect in a hotel, and my back can find a sag a mile away, so don't put too much stock in that.

Other than that, the breakfast was great, and so was the hotel bar. The bartender stayed open late for us both nights and was awesome (I can't remember his name but he had long white hair). The pool looked very nice, though we didn't use it. We were told it was indoor/outdoor. I used the business center with ease as well.

Other parts of our group stayed at the Holiday Inn Express down the street. I was in some of their rooms, and while the hallways were more "art-deco," I liked the rooms in the HIlton Garden Inn better. Great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear 745Entertainment,
Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out an review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhean, NY. It looks as though your overall visit was positive and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize about the noise on the back side of the hotel. We think you may be right about a guest on another floor and the door. We also wanted to apologize that your sleep comfort didn't exceed your expectations. Our mattresses were installed in the hotel in February and April of this year and are all brand new since we changed from the Garden Sleep System beds. We are having a professional check the bed in case there is a manufacturers defect. Since this is the first complaint, from any of the rooms since the new install, we want to fix it as soon as possible. We look forward to serving you again in the future and again, thank you for the review.

Brian J. Mauro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Tucson, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family and I really enjoyed our recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. The room was very fresh and clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the lobby and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
To Henry B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead. We are delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable. Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

New York City
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a long weekend (4 days) to go to the Hamptons area. We checked a few of the motels around Hampton Bays but they were booked up and what was available was pretty pricey. We figured if we were going to spend over $300 per night, we might as well be in a more luxurious hotel. So, even though it was going to be a half-hour drive each way to the beaches in Hampton Bays and West Hampton, we figured it would be worth it to stay in the Hilton in Riverhead. We were wrong.

We reserved an upgraded Deluxe King room with a whirlpool. I requested a room on an upper floor. When we got to the hotel, the room reserved for us was on the first (ground) floor. I pointed out that I had requested an upper floor and that I was not happy - from a security standpoint - about being on the first floor. People could walk by and look into our window (which they DID). In addition, our room was just a few rooms away from the back entrance. Anyone with a valid hotel room key can enter the back entrance - and the door closes slowly so if someone wanted to, they could come in right behind the person with the key. No security.
The front desk representative apologized and said that all of the "whirlpool" rooms are on the first floor (when I made the reservation - and spoke to a live person in the actual hotel - no one told me that.). She also said that they were completely booked so I couldn't change to a room on another floor, even though I said I was fine with a room that did not have the whirlpool tub. But no dice. So I paid the price of a luxurious room and did not get one.

The Whirlpool: I assumed (incorrectly) that this "upgraded" room was larger than the regular rooms. I was wrong. It's the same size...but it has a whirlpool bathtub IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BEDROOM. There is no glass door or curtain around it so if you were to try to take a hot bath, the water would turn cold very quickly. And...who wants to bathe in the bedroom?? I get that this is supposed to be a romantic thing...but it's not. So we didn't use it. Total waste.

The Bed: All over the web site, it states that they have the "Sleep Number" beds. We were psyched to try those out. Well, they DON'T have the Sleep Number beds. The bed was super firm and not comfortable for me or for my husband - and he usually likes a firm bed. As I'm writing this, the day after we returned home, my back is really achy. So when we were checking out, I mentioned this to the woman at the desk. She said that the "Sleep Number" beds were "TERRIBLE" so they replaced them with new Sealy mattresses. OK, well then update your website, Hilton. And if you're bragging about the quality of your beds, buy GOOD beds that are more comfortable.

The Shower: The water pressure was terrible. We had the feeling that the shower heads had restrictors on them to keep the pressure at a minimum and avoid water waste. That's fine to a point - but I was really looking forward to a nice hot powerful shower to soothe my poor back that was aching from the stupid hard bed.

Noise: I guess since our room was near an exit door, people in the hallway felt as if they weren't walking past actual occupied guest rooms, so it was very noisy in the hallway. The room itself, though was quiet - we didn't hear people in the other rooms. BUT...one night we got in late and we had the room darkening curtains closed so we could sleep late. We were sound asleep at SIX AM, and our SMOKE DETECTOR WENT OFF!!! It scared the crap out of us and we both literally jumped out of bed. It wasn't smoke...it was the battery. Hello Hilton? You have smoke detectors in every room of every hotel. How about every 6 months, you automatically change all the batteries? Well, we had to call Maintenance. And changing the battery didn't work out. He had to change the whole unit. So that was the end of our sleeping late that morning.

The Food: They advertise that they have "Room Service". Well, apparently, they do - but it's only at certain hours in the morning and evening. So if you come in late and are thinking that it would be nice to have a late night snack while you watch TV before you go to bed, think again. You can't.
Breakfast: They have a breakfast buffet for $10, which you can go to until 10AM on weekdays and 11AM on weekends. And on their web site, they make a big deal about their restaurant. I had the impression that it was really top-notch (from what they say on their web site). Um...NOT. Here are the breakfast buffet options: Cold clumpy scrambled eggs, very fatty bacon, oily sausages. Bland runny oatmeal. Toppings for oatmeal: raisins, brown sugar, overly-sweetened granola. Bagels (they looked good but I didn't have any). Some little cookie-type scones and mini danishes - both very sugary sweet. They have little containers of yogurt (one of the "light" brands - OK, but not a healthy style that I'd have with no junk added to it). There was 2% or 0% fat milk (no whole milk and no alternative milks like soy or almond, etc.). Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice, Coffee (decaf and regular). They had tea, but no herbal teas. Only black or green tea (decaf and regular). No herbal choices at all.
You have the option of asking them to make eggs or omelettes customized for you. So I asked for some scrambled eggs. They served them exactly the same way as the ones that were pre-made in the big buffet tin. Clumpy. The only difference was that these were hot.

The room has a refrigerator and a microwave. I'd recommend that you buy food while you're out and bring it back to the room in case you get hungry.

The Pool and Hot Tub - The pool is indoors and it's a dark room. The pool is pretty small and stinks of chlorine. We didn't go further than the door. There is an outdoor hot tub that looked appealing so we went outside to use the hot tub. There was oily scum floating on top of the water, as well as hair and other debris. We were grossed-out and I wouldn't even put my foot in to test the temperature. So we sat down to get a little sun. My husband jumped up - there were wet spots all over his shorts because the seat cushion was wet. We hope it was water. Probably due to a guest dripping something on the seat but the hotel could monitor that more carefully.

The Checkout Process - There was a wedding party checking in when we were checking out. We had to wait for a half hour just to check out. Really guys? This is a Hilton and I'm a Hilton Honors member. If you're anticipating a large party to be checking in, put a few extra people on the desk and have a separate check-out person from the check-in - and have a dedicated person or two for the party so they don't hold up all your other guests.

Housekeeping: The housekeepers were excellent. No complaints. Our room was very clean.

Staff - Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The front desk staff, the restaurant servers, the maintenance guy, the housekeepers - all were very nice.

We will not stay here again. We would have been happier paying the same thing and staying in a small motel near the beaches (even though I don't really like motels and I prefer a higher-end hotel). If this were a beach motel, many of the down-points I've mentioned would be a little more expected and, therefore, passable. In that case, I'd rate it Average. But this is a Hilton and we expected a lot more so I'm giving a Poor rating.

Room Tip: Don't get a Whirlpool Room and stay on a floor other than the ground floor.
1 Thank NYCgiirl
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear NYC giirl,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn - Riverhead, NY. I was glad to see that some aspects of your trip were enjoyable and the Housekeeping and Service were very good. I apologize for not meeting your expectations and the confusion about our whirlpool rooms and your request for a high floor. If you do read this, would you forward me the website that tells you about the Sleep System Beds you were refering to. On our website it clearly states in several places that we are Serta Perfect Sleeper property. I want to make sure that future guests do not have the same issue. If you do decide to give us a second chance, please contact me personally to assist and I will make sure your stay is pleasurable.

calverton, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2014

this was an excellent hotel and i would recommend it to anybody. the room was very clean. the service was fast, friendly and professional. the pool/spa was clean and amazing. the food was absolutely delicious. i would stay here again any time and recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Betty B
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Betty B,
On behalf of the entire staff at the Hilton Garden Inn, Riverhead, we would like to thank you for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor. Our TEAM works very hard to make sure that each and every guest has a positive experience that exceeds their expectations. We look forward to your returning in the future and if you need any assistance booking your next trip, please contact me personally at the hotel.

Ontario
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed here 2 nights. Our room was fantastic. 2 person whirlpool in room was nice as well as small courtyard with hot tub outside. We had supper outside one night by the fireplace. My wife walked across the street to Tanger Outlet - had to hop the median!! We used this as a base to tour the South fork one day and then Shelter Island and the North Fork the next. There is a bit of driving involved but that's what we were there for - very slow through the Hamptons this time of year.

1 Thank MrTT
Dear MrTT,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor for the Hilton Garden Inn, Riverhead, NY. As a SENIOR CONTRIBUTOR to TripAdvisor I'm sure you went on the site to review the hotel prior to booking and knew it was going to be a lot of driving. Be careful about hopping the median to the Tanger Outlet, it is a busy street!! If you turn left out of the driveway and walk 2 blocks to the light it is much safer. Next time you are in the area, maybe you could take advantage of some of the packages we have to offer like a wine tour, Splish Splash Water Park and of course the Atlantis Aquarium. Again we thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn for your lodging needs. I will also pass along to our Food and Beverage department that you enjoyed dining out on the patio.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had confirmed reservations for Sunday and Monday nights, We were ahead of schedule so took the Cross Sound Ferry over on Saturday. We called the hotel direct number so see if there were rooms available. We got connected to what we thought was the specific Hilton we were booked into. We had the expectation that since we were Hilton Honors members they would extend the reservation at the rate we were coming in with.
We were told that rooms were available, but the price was $399, 250 more than we had on our pre-booked stay, NO to that, so we came onto the Island with no reservation. We found a place at an inflated rate, but not 399.
This soured us to the entire brand of Hilton Garden Inn, so that we may never book into one ever again.
We do want to shout out Kudos to our breakfast server, Jessica who should get the Miss Perky Award. She turned an otherwise boring meal into a real delight.
And Brian the manager was always doing what he could to make folks feel welcome. A good man to have in charge.

Dear BandB-Lovers,
It was great meeting you both and sharing conversation over breakfast. I was glad to hear that you found a place to stay on the Saturday Night. I see you are risk-takers coming into Long Island on a Saturday night without a reservation. Thanks again for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our property. I will be sure to let Jessica know that she has won the Miss Perky Award!!! Again I know we spoke briefly about the rates and reservations and I apologize we were not able to honor the same rate on Saturday night that you had for Sunday and Monday. Next time, please call and speak to me personally and I will make sure I can get you the best rate available. We will see you next time!!

Washington DC, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed for 2 nights 6-18 and 6-19-2014. Both days there was no hot water in the morning. Advised Front Desk, in but nothing was done. Colleague also had no hot water in his room. Hotel is lovely, but without hot water, it's not a place I'll stay at again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Kathryn D
Brian M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
To Katheryn D,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Let me start by sincerely apologizing for the problem you had experienced. I know how frustrating not having hot water can be. We have isolated the issue that occured very early morning during your stay. As a hotel that is sold out a majority of the time I can truly promise that this does not happen often and can happen at any hotel property. I will be contacting you by e-mail personally to discuss further. We do hope you will give us a second chance.

Brian J. Mauro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead? Share your experiences!