“Delicious!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: They've been there forever
Description: They've been there forever
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were craving wings, and boy, did this spot deliver!

The wings were ADDICTING, and we just couldn't stop ourselves! We ordered a bucket of 50, and ate some for lunch, and then for dinner later. They reheat nicely! The delicious mango dipping sauce they serve with the wings was to die for, and the cornbread was moist and delicious. We also ordered some Mac and cheese, and it was creamy and savory - just what you'd expect from a BBQ joint.

I would go back here a million more times!

1  Thank Aliobrien5

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Anytime a restaurant has stayed in business for 30+ years (especially in an area like Riverhead) ... you know they are doing something right. Spicy's doesn't pretend to be anything its not. You feel like you are back in time when you eat here ... it could be Selma, Alabama or somewhere in the South in the 1950s. (minus the racism thing) This is a black owned (I hope) and black staffed establishment where people of all color are welcome. The vibe here is like Ben's Chili Bowl in DC. There are a lot of regular customers ... but also a lot of tourists who are treated just as well.

I will admit that this place isn't the cleanest looking ... in fact, I did spend several minutes while I waited for my food to be ready 'convincing' myself not to think about the surroundings and to focus on the reputation this place has earned over the years.

Very rare to find a Carolina based BBQ sauce outside of the Carolinas. It is a golden/mustard based BBQ ... however, I was told by almost every local I spoke with that chicken is what Spicy's does best, and to stick with it. I was a bit surprised to find out that they seemed to only have chicken wings, which I always considered to be a superbowl party or college delivery type of food. I was hoping for fried chicken breasts and drumsticks.

The wings didn't knock me for a loop ... they are made to order, hand dusted and come with a small cup (not enough) of the signature BBQ sauce. I didn't find it spicy to be honest, but it did have a great taste. I would prefer that the wings be tossed in the sauce in a bowl first and THEN served to me so I didn't have to try to evenly distribute the small cup of sauce over each wing myself.

Also, I would pay extra to get all drumstick wing pieces, I am always kind of creeped out by those little flappy wing parts. The wings are cooked perfectly, seasoned nicely and not covered in grease like Hooters wings are. The batter is light but crispy and not the star of the show ... which is how a chicken wing should be fried.

The sides were so-so. Collared Greens had a sort of fishy taste for some reason, which I couldn't get around but did have pieces of pork in them. The mac and cheese was not my favorite ... typical of a roadside BBQ place but not the star of the show. Kind of bland. The true star of the show was the Sweet Potato Pie.

The Sweet Potato Pie, which I don't normally like, was amazing! It was sweet and sugary but had that starchy potato taste that balanced perfectly. It was clear this was mashed fresh because it still had those little fibers in it. I lived in the South for a while and the taste of this pie brought me back there for a bit. Perfect way to end the meal.

I wouldn't consider this cheap ... 10 wings, 2 sides, a piece of pie and a soda cost me just under $20. I was a bit bummed because when I left the restaurant, I saw a sign on the side of the building saying that Tuesday was Buy 1 Wing, Get 1 Half price day. However, nobody gave me that deal ... I paid full price. One star off for that.

Next time I will venture away from the wings and try something different. Someone next to me was having the fried fish and it looked very good ... like proper English fish and chips with Americanized french fries. There aren't too many dives left out there ... this is one of the good ones. Hopefully they won't change the decor ... white wooden sandwich counter, black and white checkerboard floor and cheap linoleum booths. It is like a time machine back to the 50s ... which is a welcome change from all the modern joints nearby.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We've been going there for years. Great ribs, great carolina sauce, Best collard greens anywhere! Friendly staff, fast service. The only drawback is the ambience of the dining area.The benches are shaky and there is a hole in the floor. It doesn't matter, though. The food is always great. If you're a little finicky about eating there, get take out. It's worth the trip.

1  Thank tom c
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We discovered they actually had fried oysters (not common here) and as Gulf Coast transplants we were delighted. We ordered the fried oyster platter, which came with fries and coleslaw. And, just because we wanted to sample their other fare, we ordered a (1) piece barbequed rib, and one order of collards, mac & cheese, and one piece of sweet potato pie. First, the oysters were battered in flour, without any cornmeal--definitely different, and not nearly as good. Using flour alone renders the batter tough and unyielding, BUT, I will have to say that the oysters did taste fresh and were better than none at all. However, if they would add about 1/3 amount of cornmeal to their batter they would probably be amazed at the crunchy/tender oyster that emerges from the oil. The fries were very good--but it's kind of hard to mess up frozen fries :-). The slaw was a no-show for me. It was basically chopped core of cabbage with an occasional trace of a piece of carrot drowned in some sort of mayo base. So non-descript that it was sort of tasteless--and I do LOVE a good coleslaw. The cabbage in it had absolutely no green to it, so I have to wonder if they buy this stuff ready-made from a store or something? The collards were the show stealer, if there was one: they were delicious. Seasoned well, cooked well, and tasted wonderful. Did not taste the cornbread, as I figured it would have sugar in it (a no-no in the south) and taste like corn cake. The mac & cheese was average, and needed salt. The sweet potato pie was a bomb....and not in a good way. The filling was 'beady', the color was really strange, being a dark, dark grayish color, sort of like molassas. It tasted absolutely nothing like sweet potato pie, period. It wasn't awful...it just wasn't anything like a real sweet potato pie--which is very similar to a pumpkin pie. It, too, tasted like they'd gone to a bakery and bought the thing (another no-no in the south, lol!). The crust was that dry cardboard type crust you get on 'bought' pies. I took one bite of it and that was it. My husband (who will eat almost anything) ate it but was not impressed. As a disclaimer, though, I have to say that my own sweet potato pies are legend where we come from, so it really would've been difficult for them to compare. But, I really would've expected it to actually look like it was made from sweet potatoes, and taste at least a little like the standard sweet potato pie, but, no. Finally, the rib was tender, meaty, and...sour. What do I mean? Well, that the sauce they use is not a sweet, smoky sauce like we prefer (think Sweet Baby Ray's type sauce)--but more like a vinegar/mustard type sauce. Would we have raved over the ribs had the sauce been more to our liking? Maybe...because, as I said, they were very meaty and tender. But, I suppose that this is simply a matter of preference. Now, as to the decor, it was about as old and shabby as you can get...but, so what? I didn't see anything pertaining to the food that was of any concern, and I was observing. The fried chicken looked wonderful, but we did not sample it. If we went back, it would probably be to try the chicken. So, I suppose I could sum up my review as this: not the worst, not the best, and not somewhere I would probably frequent...but an interesting place, nonetheless.

4  Thank mabestrn
Reviewed 25 February 2013

best fried chicken in town. i would recomend take out.
due this place is so old and not been renovated since colombus ages ..

2  Thank surimaribo26