“Take the time to enjoy this restaurant”
Review of Turkuaz Grill

Turkuaz Grill
Ranked #4 of 120 Restaurants in Riverhead
Cuisines: Turkish
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Based on earlier reviews, my wife and I went here for lunch. (The restaurant is located by the river. One block west of the aquarium, head south on the road between the Salvation Army store and the aquarium. The restaurant will be at the end of the driveway on your right). Since we both enjoy Turkish/Mediterranean cooking, we had high hopes for our lunch. We were not disappointed! While the restaurant has a somewhat small dining area, we were promptly seated at a window table. We both ordered the lamb combo platters. The seasoning on the lamb was perfect, the bulgar was nicely prepared with red and green peppers and tomato paste (possibly some red pepper paste as well), and the beet salad was extremely flavorful. We both had the Turkish tea which was a nice strong brew. If you enjoy Turkish-Greek-Mediterranean foods, then a visit to Turkuaz will not disappoint. My advice would be to give yourself ample time to sit, experience and enjoy the many complex flavors that are present in the food. This is a meal to savor.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

While visiting the LI Aquarium and staying at the Hyatt, we decided on Turkuaz because my wife is a vegetarian, but she had a lot of fish this week so she wanted something different, and it is Passover so we wanted to avoid bread. We were blown away by the food and experience. First, the location is a little house right on the water, across from the "boardwalk" and nearest to the aquarium, very quaint location - with a great parking lot if you drove. The hotel front desk staff suggested Turkuaz, Jerry and the Mermaid (seafood), Farm Country Kitchen (farm to table); for our family with a toddler they suggested Turkuaz or Jerry's. What sold us is that they said when they've gone, the owner's own children were at the table in the back doing homework - so we knew it would be authentic and family-friendly. The ambience was cozy, with beautiful tile, "antiqued" painted furniture, a fireplace and from our table we could see the crew and house boats, we even saw an Osprey when we were walking inside. I had the mixed Kabob, which had gyro (which was so soft, the best quality meat I've ever had for gyro, almost like shaved lamb / steak, tender but the best part is that it wasn't spicy (like the kind that makes you belch after) chicken, lamb, lamb on the bone, and so much more chicken and lamb, yummy. The included sides were homemade yogurt sauce, marinated red onion, beet salad, rice, salad - a lot of food! My wife had falafel with the same sides, but also included bulgar, which was amazing and tasted like Israeli Couscous. The falafel was crispy, and mild, not spicy at all, really the best. Everything was so full of flavor and spices, but nothing was overly spicy/peppery like most middle eastern food is. Everything was subtle, delicate, lovingly and expertly prepared. The Turkish tea was strong, almost like American coffee, it's the tea that puts hair on your chest. I added sugar and milk to mine, how i drink tea, but honestly it was great by itself. At the end of the meal we had enough left over for another meal, and instead of the baklava, my dessert was medium Turkish coffee. The owner suggested medium (with some sugar) because she saw how I "tamed" my tea. I had never seen Turkish coffee before, let alone had it and it's reputation is what it is, very thick, in an espresso cup, but I now know why it's so thick, it is full of grounds. My mom would have called it "mud." I liked it, was it great, no. I prefer espresso, but even that is an inquired taste. If I was able to smoke, play some board game and sit in the sun, I think i could really get into sipping Turkish coffee (seriously). The coffee was good, the tea, food and friendly staff (all family) and location was amazing!

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

2  Thank MikeNYPhotographer
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and was surprised to see it listed as the #1in Riverhead. Now that I have eaten there I am not surprised at its ranking. The food is excellent and the portions are very ample. It is a small restaurant easily overlooked down by the Peconic River. It will be an even better experience in the Summer with outside table service.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were here in business In off season and the reviews looked great for this Turkish restaurant. The wine list was limited but the selections were surprisingly good and fairly priced. The kebabs were great, but the sides were so-so, either Luke warm or kind of bland, possibly because it was a Monday in an off season. the people were friendly and helpful and the baklava was quite tasty. I would definitely go back as the atmosphere was casual and relaxed and the people were wonderful. The view was quite nice, close to a marina.