“Wedding weekend on the East End”

Holiday Inn Express East End
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Riverhead
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was really impressed by the Holiday Inn Express East End on Long Island. I figured it would be fairly low end because it's an express and probably doesn't have a lot of the nicer amenities.

But the staff was attentive, courteous, and efficient. The room was really nice. A/C worked. And they had a 40 inch TV with a lot of the packaged cable channels like sports channels such as NFL network.

Not too mention a complete continental breakfast including eggs, waffles, bacon, danish, among the normal continental options.

I was pleasantly surprised by the entire experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here at least 3 times already when we go up for a week or so on a trip. It is always clean. The staff is always smiling and helpful. Contrary to the reviews we saw, the breakfast was always good and they had so much stuff to choose from. We even had trays to bring up to the room to eat. We travel with a small maltese now and their policies and fees are reasonable and they all make a fuss over him when we get there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
eastendhotels23, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Good afternoon and thank you four your review. The staff here at the Holiday Inn Express East End love to see our frequent guests return to our facility! We appreciate your kind words and as always we thank you for your continued loyalty! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed here after a drive from New York to Montauk.
The hotel is clean and the room spacious. It is located down the road from Tanger Outlets and there is an excellent restaurant (the Dark Horse) in nearby Riverhead village.
The hotel is at the entry point to the freeway to New York, HOWEVER….
We had to catch a plane the next day at 11 am and needed to be at the airport around 9. Fortunately we mentioned this to locals who warned us we’d have to leave the hotel at 5 am to make our 9 o’clock target. We did that and did arrive on time but a 4 am wake-up was an unexpected jolt to the system.
So note, while the location of this hotel well on the road back to the city (67 miles to La Guardia) from the Hamptons avoids the crawling traffic of Highway 27, it won’t help if you need to get back to New York any time in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobSt23
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear BobSt23,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Ben J

Reviewed 9 July 2013

The hotel itself is a pretty standard 2/3 star Holiday Inn. Some friends and I chose this hotel as it was the cheapest in the area, but it was still $320 all in for one Friday night in June.

We got picked up from Riverhead train station (for free, just had to tip) and taken to the hotel, which was great. Once there, we dropped off our stuff and then got a lift back on the hotel's bus to Riverhead for an evening out. It was about $18 in a cab back from Riverhead that night. The bus also took us to a golf course the following morning, which was a nice surprise.

The breakfast was pretty awful and not really befitting of a Holiday Inn. There didn't seem to be anyone attending the food and the tables in the dining room (maybe 12 in total) were either occupied or dirty, so we had to clean our own table. We didn't hang around and avoided the 'hot' food.

The staff were really good, but the amount we paid for an awful breakfast and very standard room means I wouldn't go back. The guys running the bus service earned a star on their own.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
eastendhotels23, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Good afternoon and thank you for for your review. We are glad you were able experience and enjoy the use of our complimentary shuttle as well as the friendliness of our staff. I do however apologize in regards to the breakfast and cleanliness of the dining area. We do strive for excellence, and do our best to guarantee our guests comfortability. Again, we thank you for your comments and hope you will come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We were at the hotel at the end of May for a wedding at Giorgio (excellent). Nice room - suite. The problem was that the A/C did not work. It was 85 degrees in the room. Unfortunately when we got back at the hotel after the wedding the only person available was the security guard and he didn't know how to fix it. Oh well, after numerous calls ( they also own Hotel Indigo) they corrected my bill. Oh yeah, another problem was that there was no parking in the parking lot after the wedding because a truck parked across 15 spaces....WHAT?

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redline613
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear redline613,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is unfortunate the room conditions specifically the AC unit prevented you from fully enjoying your stay at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I always judge a hotel by the property and the staff (especially the management). If I have a bad experience at check in or with the cleaning service, I might take a star off the review ... but I hold the management to a much higher standard in terms of guest service. If you take the management out of the picture, this is a 3 star fair property. There are much better options nearby. I prefer the Hilton Garden Inn across the street or the Hotel Indigo (another IHG/Priority Club property) ... in the past I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express more than Hotel Indigo because it was a few dollars less. But no more ... I will not be back.

I am going to write about an incident I had during a snowstorm. I was on the East End and planning to take the Orient Point ferry back to New England when it started snowing. I was pretty tired and felt like it would be worth it to just grab a hotel for the night, watch some tv and relax rather than drive the hour of backroad to get to the ferry in a snowstorm.

I checked into my room, went to the nearby Panera for some dinner and came back to the hotel so I could settle in, lay in bed and ride out the storm with a bottle of Long Island wine, comfy clothes and television. I turned on the television and there was a black screen. I flipped a few channels and it was the same thing.

I called down to the front desk to see if there was a problem with my television and was told, 'Any time there is a storm, our satellite dish doesn't get reception. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' I was floored. The whole point of paying $150 for a night in a hotel was to watch tv and drink wine rather than drive an hour or two in a snow storm. I asked the front desk person if he could comp me some pay movies because it seemed like that was separate from the satellite tv. (The only station that came in was the one advertising the pay movies.) He told me, 'No. I am not authorized to do that.'

Let me get this straight ... your stupid satellite dish goes inopperational with only 4 inches of snow and there is NO television (at 9 p.m.) and you won't even comp me a movie or two? Totally unacceptable. Wired from the day's activities I stayed up until after midnight with nothing but my cell phone to keep me occupied. Relaxing night? Not at all ... have you ever sat in a hotel room bored late at night for 4 or 5 hours with no television? Not fun.

When I checked out, I mentioned this was unacceptable as the ENTIRE reason I had spent $150 to stay at the hotel was to watch tv and ride out the snowstorm. Again, I was told anytime there was a bad snow or rainstorm the satellite tv goes out and they were sorry. I asked to speak to a manager to see if I could get some kind of compensation for a horrible stay due to the tv being out. I was told she wasn't there. She only works certain days. Whaaaat? A the hotel only has a manager on premisis on certain days?

I was told to call the hotel in the next couple days and speak to her. Given my busy schedule, it took a couple days for me to call. On the day I called, she again wasn't in. I was told she is only on property until around 2 or 3 p.m. Okaaaay ... this lady has awesome hours! I tried TWICE more to reach her and was unable. Finally, I told the front desk person to give me her voicemail and I'd leave a message. Two weeks went by with no call back.

I called once more and left another voicemail message describing the situation and leaving my cell phone number. Again, no call back. It is clear that this hotel's manager's priority is NOT guests. No wonder it always seems empty except for weddings when they jack the price up two or three times higher on weekends in the summer and fall.

You need to ask yourself two things ...

1.) Is it worth a few bucks less to stay here than the Hotel Indigo down the street or the nicer Hilton Garden Inn across the way when if there is a snow or rain storm, you may have no tv to watch because their satellite tv is wonky?

2.) Do you want to stay at a place where management is impossible to reach if you have a problem and doesn't return 2 voicemails in order to correct or at the very least apologise for a major issue a guest had at the hotel?

Another thing I hate about this place is they upgrade Platinum members to 'suites' which are basically a standard room with another 50 square feet that have a counter with a fridge and a microwave. That is NOT a suite. Thats a slightly bigger room. Whereas the Hilton Garden Inn across the street gives HHonors Gold or Diamond members a small bottle of wine and free breakfast and upgrades to TRUE suites.

If you are staying here for a wedding, I could understand that. But I won't return as a frequent past guest of this place (mainly because I was a Priority Club/IHG member and didn't think it was worth an extra $20 to stay at the Hotel Indigo at the time) the manager's complete lack of respect for guests in terms of returning their calls and the fact that I like to watch tv at night when I am in an area like Riverhead where things close at 9 p.m. and don't want to have a chance of a black screen if it rains or snows.

When you are running a fair/worn hotel in a place that offers many other nicer options (Hyatt, Hilton Garden Inn, Hotel Indigo, etc.) management 101 says you might want to actually respect your repeat guests or they will leave.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank LovinHotelLife
samm97, Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I am extremely sorry for the issues that you experienced while on our property. This is not how we conduct our business and I would like to speak with you so that I can make this right. I have sent you a message under separate cover with my contact information, please get in touch with me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fairly clean but tired. I am very picky about cleanliness because I know hotels can be spotless. If we weren't getting a special wedding price, in my opinion the regular price would be overpriced but they can get it because it is at the beginning of the east end of LI.

One problem is there are no fridges but they do have a coffee pot in the room.

The breakfast is very good.

• Stayed: May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express East End, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Annie72,

Thank you for giving our hotel a fair review. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am delighted you found the breakfast served during your stay, highly commendable.

Let me also take this opportunity to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects. Nevertheless, I want to assure you that the points you've raised in this review will be looked into.

Your feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

Joel B
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverhead
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
The Hamlet Inn
The Hamlet Inn
#2 of 8 in Southampton
Residence Inn Long Island East End

Been to Holiday Inn Express East End? Share your experiences!