“For a small aquarium, it was pretty impressive!”

Long Island Aquarium
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Riverhead
More attraction details
Owner description: This FINtastic destination features one of the largest all-living coral reef displays in this hemisphere, a 120,000-gallon shark tank, year-round sea lion shows, African Penguins, Marmosets, numerous touch tanks and more than 100 exhibits including the lavish indoor gardens of our Butterflies, Bugs and Birds Exhibit! This Section features more than 30 species of North American and exotic, tropical free-flying butterflies and is the only insect displays of its kind in New York (and one of the only exhibits like this in the Northeast) featuring bugs ranging from most deadly to largest and most colorful. You can even hand feed the gorgeous conures, ringnecks and lovebirds in our Bird Aviary. We're celebrating our 15th birthday this year and we want you to join the celebration. You'll get FREE Aquarium admission (with valid ID) within 7 days of your birthday!! You can also try one of our JAWsome Aquatic Adventures, like the Shark Dive where you'll get in the cage and down into our amazing Lost City of Atlantis Shark Exhibit. Or the Penguin Encounter where you'll get up close and personal with our cutest feathered friends. You can even snorkel with tropical fish from around the world with our Pirate Snorkel Adventure (seasonal)! There are plenty of special events on the calendar, for guests of all ages. Check our website for a full listing of the great activities you won't want to miss. Like our Family Sleepovers, where you'll explore the Aquarium after hours, then spend the night in front of one of the tanks. Or Fish & Sips, our adults only wine tasting event featuring more than 20 local vineyards with tasting and purchasing opportunities. You can celebrate the holidays with us at our Holiday Brunches for Easter, Mother's Day or to celebrate Christmas with our Santa Brunch. We can also help you host your child's next birthday, we specialize in parties and have a wide range of party packages to offer. Planning a Bar/Bat Mitzvah or Sweet 16? We've got you covered, our Atlantis Banquets & Events team will make your child's special day the party of the year. You can even get married where the walls are alive with our most colorful and tropical exhibits! Named a Top 10 Aquarium for Children by Parents Magazine, the Long Island Aquarium is open daily from10am to 5pm year-round (Closed Christmas & Thanksgiving Days). You can add to the fun with an overnight stay at the waterfront Hyatt Place Long Island / East End and located adjacent to the property.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been wanting to check this place out for years cause this is pretty close to an awesome Tanger Outlet Mall but never went but this year we decided to take a trip out there on Easter for my children and I'm glad we did! The place was really interesting with all of the hands on exhibits and the wonderful animals like the feeding the birds exhibit, the butterfly exhibit which really impressed my little daughters! It was a nice and friendly environment and the food court too with good prices! What was a little disapointing was that a couple of exhibits were closed! All of the rides which they only have a couple was closed, I guess it was because they didn't have many workers but maybe that was because of the holiday and it would of been nice to see more animals and to expand it with more rescued animals would of made it even more enjoyable which would of made me give it a 5 star! Overall I would take my family again and I recommend families to visit this place at least once!

There are newer reviews for Long Island Aquarium

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I went here years ago when it was Atlantis. Lame, small, smelly, dirty, and limited exhibits with zero info. Went back this past week to see the sloth. Yes, they have a sloth in the exhibit center. Yes, for the time being it is alive. It is in a small exhibit with bats and two porcupines - yes, they are all crammed into one small area (the bats occasionally fly into the sloth, and the porcupines crawl over the sloth on the "branches"). Felt bad for the poctupines - one of them was doing that pacing thing some animals do when they are stressed. Monkey in another larger exhibit was doing the same thing. Anyway, overall OK. They have some birds that you can feed and let land on you. We took the behind the scenes tour which was somewhat interesting (the tour guide was very good - enthusiastic, and you were able to hear her). Not sure I would say the place is worth the cost of admission - very short on info. If you can only hit one aquarium, go to Coney Island - much better. If you want to see a sloth, the aquarium and exhibit center sure beats the drive to Ohio (next nearest sloth I am aware of). There is a AAA discount (or you can print a $2 per person coupon off their website). Lots of empty cages/displays. Biggest thing in the whole place is the food area. Overall, unless you are going for the sloth - pass.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was by my self and I went in there and it was amassing, the colors are beautiful unbelievable. It's the place to go when you are in the area. A MUST SEE

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Go on line and get a coupon first. $2.00 off each ticket. What a wonderful spot. So much to offer. We enjoyed it very much. Find out about all the hrs., what's there etc. online. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great trip for my daughter & I . We were going to do a movie, but had a change of plans last minute. Glad we did! the aquarium was awesome & fulfilling. The trip was kind of long, but well worth it. Yes, it's good to go after 1 pm, much less crowded. Food was pricey so didn't eat there, but got great souvenirs. Good family fun & educational. Loved the Sea Lion show!!

1  Thank Lisa R