“Cancelled Pirate Snorkel Trip -”

Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Riverhead
More attraction details
Owner description: This FINtastic destination features one of the largest all-living coral reef displays in this hemisphere, a 120,000-gallon shark tank, year-round sea lion shows, African Penguins, Marmosets, numerous touch tanks and more than 100 exhibits including the lavish indoor gardens of our Butterflies, Bugs and Birds Exhibit! This Section features more than 30 species of North American and exotic, tropical free-flying butterflies and is the only insect displays of its kind in New York (and one of the only exhibits like this in the Northeast) featuring bugs ranging from most deadly to largest and most colorful. You can even hand feed the gorgeous conures, ringnecks and lovebirds in our Bird Aviary. We're celebrating our 15th birthday this year and we want you to join the celebration. You'll get FREE Aquarium admission (with valid ID) within 7 days of your birthday!! You can also try one of our JAWsome Aquatic Adventures, like the Shark Dive where you'll get in the cage and down into our amazing Lost City of Atlantis Shark Exhibit. Or the Penguin Encounter where you'll get up close and personal with our cutest feathered friends. You can even snorkel with tropical fish from around the world with our Pirate Snorkel Adventure (seasonal)! There are plenty of special events on the calendar, for guests of all ages. Check our website for a full listing of the great activities you won't want to miss. Like our Family Sleepovers, where you'll explore the Aquarium after hours, then spend the night in front of one of the tanks. Or Fish & Sips, our adults only wine tasting event featuring more than 20 local vineyards with tasting and purchasing opportunities. You can celebrate the holidays with us at our Holiday Brunches for Easter, Mother's Day or to celebrate Christmas with our Santa Brunch. We can also help you host your child's next birthday, we specialize in parties and have a wide range of party packages to offer. Planning a Bar/Bat Mitzvah or Sweet 16? We've got you covered, our Atlantis Banquets & Events team will make your child's special day the party of the year. You can even get married where the walls are alive with our most colorful and tropical exhibits! Named a Top 10 Aquarium for Children by Parents Magazine, the Long Island Aquarium is open daily from10am to 5pm year-round (Closed Christmas & Thanksgiving Days). You can add to the fun with an overnight stay at the waterfront Hyatt Place Long Island / East End and located adjacent to the property.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Long Island, NY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Cancelled Pirate Snorkel Trip -”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I enjoy going to this aquarium and have gone few times before. I have never taken the pirate adventure where you snorkel with the stingrays. My son have been wanting to try it so I was thrilled to have found a groupon that includes both admission and the snorkel with stingray adventure. I bought the groupon and reserved the adventure for my family on July 4, 2014.

Since the weather forecasted rain, I called the day before to inquire what would happen if it rained. I was told that the adventure would still go on during the rain and that I can reschedule if I so choose but she thinks that the adventure would still go on. So on July 4, 2014 it was drizzling a bit but my husband and I decided to go anyway since the adventure would go on and my sons were thrilled to go. After arriving, we were told that the snorkel with stingray pirate adventure was cancelled for the day. The aquarium decided to cancel just fifteen minutes or so before we arrived. My boys were very disappointed about the cancelled adventure but wanted to walk around the aquarium.

I rescheduled the pirate adventure for a different day and asked if my family can walk around the aquarium a little bit since we made it all the way out here (we drove approximately one hour to the aquarium). We were told by customer service that we would have to pay for separate admission if we want to go inside. I told them that I understand that the groupon was for one admission and one snorkel adventure that would be redeemed for the newly scheduled date. I explained that I didn't want to pay for the admission today because I would be back in a few weeks to see the aquarium again. I told the customer service that I just wanted to spend a few minutes to walk around quickly. She began to explain the terms of the groupon and reiterated that it was for only one admission and one snorkel adventure.

I understood the terms of the groupon but given that it was cancelled on us, not that we did not show up for the reservation, I thought they would have allowed my kids to walk around the aquarium as a courtesy to the unfortunate situation. My boys left disappointed. We were out the time and effort to get everyone in their swimwear ready out eastern LI. We also parked the car (separate parking fee) for nothing. Overall bad day to what should have been a fun holiday.

I would say the aquarium itself is good for young children but the inconsiderate customer service and the way they nickel and dime you makes it an aquarium I may not be going back to after our rescheduled snorkel with pirate adventure.

Irene

8 Thank Irene N

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice but a bit overpriced ”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The place was pretty good and had plenty of cool things to see although I wasn't expecting monkeys. Just a bit overpriced IMO 52 bucks for me and my 3 year old seemed like a lot of money for a place that you could do in 2 hours .

1 Thank Michael M
Aquebogue, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Lobster dinner/wine cruise”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The dinner was excellent, more food than we hoped for, raw bar, salads, sides, bbq'd chicken and, of course, lobster. Plenty of wine and great service. Then we boarded the boat, fruit, cheeses, desserts and more wine. Couldn't have asked for a better night. Great value for the cost.

1 Thank Jean V
New York, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Nice weekend day trip to Long Island”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very nice aquarium! Love the butterfly exhibit. The Atlantis adventure boat is good (my two daughters love it!

2 Thank Paul R
New York City, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“feel happy for those sea animals~”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We brought two of our nephews (one 7 yr old and one 4 yr old) to the aquarium last Sunday afternoon, and both adults and kids were having great time! All staffs (even some interns) are so friendly, helpful, and well-prepared to answer all of our questions throughout the site. On top of that, you can tell that they really take very good cares of all of the animals; all animals look healthy and happy living at the aquarium. Love the educational Sea-Lion show. The butterfly area was spectacular! Will definitely go back and visit again soon.

2 Thank acheng2k