“great place year long”
Review of Highland Park

Highland Park
Ranked #5 of 149 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Owner description: The annual Lilac Festival is the most popular event on the calendar here, one of the country's oldest city arboretums.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I've been here for the lilac festival and also during the winter at the conservatory. If I lived closer, I would spend summer days here wandering under the big trees or winter days cross-country skiing. It is a beautiful park.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

If you've never been to the Lilac Festival, you have GOT to go. This is a wonderful event that takes place every year, and is timed to coincide with the blooming of the lilac bushes that dominate this beautiful park. Sometimes the lilacs (and the weather) cooperate, and sometimes they don't. Regardless, how can you NOT have fun at this event and in this park?

During the Lilac Festival, there are hundreds of craftsmen booths set up, selling everything from jewelry to paintings to jams/jellies and scarves. It's wonderful to browse their exhibits before strolling up the hill and viewing all the lilac blooms. I try never to miss this event! The food tent, meanwhile, has all kinds of delicious local restaurants cooking up their best fares, while the stage across from the tent features live music from some of the better-known local bands. What a time!

Even if you cannot make it during the festival, the whole hillside of the park is a botanical adventure, with gorgeous trees, bushes, and flowers of all kinds. Bring along a picnic lunch if you're there outside of the festival dates, and find a nice hidden spot amongst the flora. You can't help but enjoy yourself!

1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Nice to drive through this area. There are many beautiful homes and buildings with nice architecture. The park is large with very nice landscaping.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

It was rainy the day we visited. Not as large as we expected. I am sure when the lilacs are blooming it is gorgeous.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I was a little disappointed by the park. I was expecting something a little larger. We went looking for the Freddrick Douglass statue and it was located in a field near a stage. The area would be great for a concert of play. I'm hoping there is more to the place than just what I saw. Perhaps we only saw a small section of the park.

1  Thank CUTiger81