“Very nice rooms, but the other guests ruined it”

Staybridge Suites Rochester University
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Very nice rooms, but the other guests ruined it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed here this past weekend, and loved the layout of the room. Very spacious and clean, with friendly staff. The unruly and rude guests made us decide to never go back here again, though, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who's been on quite a few hockey tournament trips. The buffet would have been nice if guests would use the serving utensils instead of just using their hands that they were just coughing into and if the person in front of you didn't take the last sausage links and omelets so that the rest of the line couldn't get any (I'm talking at least 8 sausage links and at least 8 omelets). Or if people wouldn't talk on their cell phones while making waffles and act like they were the only people there for breakfast. Also, showers and clean clothes would have been nice on the other guests instead of smelling bad and wearing their pajamas. Can't we have some rules of decency for guests at hotels? I know that the hotel has nothing to do with the guests, but I feel that people should know what they might be getting into if they stay here. I don't know if it was just the location or what was going on, but it was really bad and sadly we would not go back to this hotel, ever. Also, they only have one elevator and it can take a really, really long time to get it. Especially when the other guests think it's funny to ride the elevator all day and press all of the buttons so it goes to every floor constantly. This would be a great hotel if it were in a different location, since the rooms were great and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nockian
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Rochester University, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Nockian,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Although we cannot account for the actions of our other guests, we can work to smooth uncomfortable situations to make all guests feel comfortable, safe, and welcomed. Our sincerest apologies for the poor experience and service issues you have encountered during your stay with us.

These situations certainly are not usual and rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration for future improvements. We hope that should your travel plans bring you back to our area, you will give our hotel another try and allow us to redeem your faith in the quality of our brand.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Carlsbad, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

My husband and I recently stayed for 4 nights over Thanksgiving while visiting our daughter who is a freshman at the University of Rochester. The proximity to the River Campus makes it ideal, as it is a 2 minute drive over the road bridge from the hotel to the campus or a 10 minute walk over the footbridge to her dorm building.
We booked the one room suite which allowed for my husband and I to have the private bedroom and for my daughter to sleep on the pull out double bed in the sitting room. There is a television in both areas. I was happily surprised at the kitchen which really did have everything we could need in terms of silverware, crockery, washing up liquid and even paper towels provided. We took advantage one evening of the complimentary light supper and free drinks which are served, I believe, Tuesday thru Thursday evenings. The breakfast buffet also had everything we wanted, from eggs to self-serve waffles, fruit and yoghurt, and cereals.
I really appreciated that the laundry facilities are free to guests, when so many places require their guests to put in coins.
The staff was very accommodating and, although the hotel does border on a slightly rougher part of town, I certainly did not feel unsafe. Their only problem may be that some people tend to use the Staybridge parking lot as a driving shortcut and may go a little too fast through it, so if I had had young children with me I would have wanted to be sure to hold their hands heading out to the car.
I paid a little extra to have a river view from our suite and it was lovely to look across at night to the illuminated tower of the Rush Rhees Library on campus.
Having waited to book until I was able to pounce on a deal that was offered for paying in full in advance, I was very pleased indeed with the value for money we received. This would definitely be my first choice for a hotel in the University of Rochester vicinity, even after having previously had good experiences at the Best Western and the Holiday Inn, both in the Marketplace district.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Love-to-Travel-er
GeneralManager88, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Rochester University, responded to this review, 7 November 2014
Dear Guest-

Thank you for rating us! We are happy you LOVED your stay. Please feel free to visit us again in the future.

New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

I always read hotel reviews and found myself skeptical about both the really good, and the really bad reviews. From now I will definitely be more receptive to the bad. I graduated from the U of R in 2010, and had great expectations for the hotel and my stay. I brought my niece and 2 nephews to this hotel (ages 5, 8 and 11). We went out to get food and upon our return I was stopped by the front desk clerk and informed that 4 men had come by asking for me by name and room number and people were calling trying to get into get to my room. I was scared to death, only 2 other people knew where we were staying -my best friend and my boyfriend...so I started to have a panic attack. My best friend came by to see me, and was immediately confronted by the same front desk clerk who told her that she could not come in because there were already 4 people in our room. It was a very large suite, and for the amount I paid per night I should be able to have someone stop by and say hello. She lives in Rochester, and has a husband and child so she had no intention of staying the night. He told her she had to leave, and threatened to kick me out. She called me from the parking lot to tell me she saw guys sneaking in through a side entrance. I went down to tell him that whoever it was that gave him my room number must have gotten the room number mixed up and that there probably IS a party going on but its definitely not in my room...and that people were sneaking in the side entrance...HE HAD NO REACTION TO THIS INFORMATION. He just blankly stared at me and dismissively said okay to everything I was saying to him. Then all of a sudden instead of four men coming by looking for me it turned into four children from off the street came to the hotel looking for me...and they didnt ask for me by name...Infact HE didnt even know my name...HE WAS LYING and for NO apparent reason! The only children that I know were with me. When I asked to speak to a manager he tells me there isn't one. This is absolutely absurd! I can't believe I wasted my money on this stay, and trust me I NEVER WILL AGAIN!
To top it all off, I just noticed the base of the lamp in the bedroom is broken...I'll probably get charged $150 for it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank s m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Rochester University, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear s m,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Karen G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Powell, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Was concerned after I read a few reviews on here regarding this hotel...boy were they WRONG! What an awesome place to stay, great price, great people and breakfast was amazing. Free WiFi, Free parking and a goodie bag to boot! Our room was clean & fresh. Highly recommend from a very picky person. GREAT JOB TO THE STAFF!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the river is the best!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

We choose this hotel due to the vicinity to downtown Rochester and their free shuttle (we attended an Americans game at the Blue Cross Arena that evening).
The shuttle driver was friendly and it was a quick ride to the arena.
The staff overall was very friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and they told us everything what you have to know about your stay.
Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to join the so called "Social" - free appetizers and salad accompanied by free wine and free draft beer (yes, DRAFT BEER).
This is a great idea in my opinion. We'll definitely join the "Social" next time !
Our suite was pretty big, very clean and we had a nice view of the Genesee River (our suite was very quiet - no traffic noise or any other noise complaints at all).
The hotel is located directly on the river and they even have a dock for boats there.
The "Genesee Riverway Trail" runs directly alongside the hotel - perfect for a morning walk or an evening stroll. There are also many joggers passing by, especially in the morning.
We had no time to check out the pool - but I would assume that the pool area is as clean as the rest of the hotel property and our suite.
You can't go wrong with this hotel !!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river - very quiet and a nice view as well.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Pittsburg, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here for a family vacation in November of 2012, in a one-bedroom suite (room 300). Room was clean, nicely appointed, and boasted lovely views of the river each morning. Room came with fridge/freezer, microwave, stovetop, dishes and utensils, as well as lovely green marble tabletops. And the full breakfast available each morning will have you heading downstairs, even if you typically make your own; it's too good to miss. Fantastic staff - courteous, helpful, and knowledgeable. River view rooms will get morning sun - so if you prefer waking to the sun, don't close the blackout curtains. (If you want to sleep in, though, you must close them.) Hated leaving here. It's that good.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverview room!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

We greatly enjoyed our recent stay here. The rooms are spacious, well-appointed, and clean. The bed was comfortable. The suite setup, with a large room, kitchen area, and sitting area, was nice. All staff members were courteous and the full free breakfast was appreciated. The price, at nearly $150 a night, was somewhat steep but worth it.

• Stayed November 2012