Staybridge Suites Rochester University
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Average 3/5
  • Pool
All reviewsgenesee riverview of the riverfoot bridgebedroom suitesmall kitchenfire pitrochester universityoutside patiohotel is locatedoatmealcollege visitfull kitchenbuffet breakfastfree shuttlethe breakfast areawaffle makerclose to downtown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 April 2010

We stayed at this hotel in order to visit the University of Rochester. The location is excellent, only a few minutes drive or walk. It's right on the river, with an outside deck to enjoy the view, and a gas fireplace near the entrance with comfy chairs in front. The front-desk staff was friendly and efficient. There is a mini-shop next to the front desk that sells snacks and toiletries. The room itself was great for us, with a separate bedroom, a pullout sofabed in the living room, and a complete kitchen. I mean complete, as in fridge, 2-burner stove, dishwasher, microwave, pots/pans, dishes, silverware, bowls, you name it. Everything was very clean and well thought-out (i.e. the bathroom sink was outside the bathroom, so it could be used while the bathroom was occupied). We were on the first floor, but it was very quiet, and both windows had blackout shades, so we slept well. The free breakfast buffet was fine for what it was (not fancy but filling, fresh, and tasty): eggs, french toast, bacon, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, juices, fruit, toast. The lady in charge of the buffet was like your grandmother, telling one man that he was not allowed to take food out, and then, with a smile, letting him do so anyway. She called everyone "honey" and let me know when she was bringing fresh eggs out. Great staff, a clean and stylish atmosphere, proximity to UR, price, and free wifi are all major pluses. I didn't use the hotel shuttle to UR, but it was readily available. The only minus is the lumpy sofabed mattress. The actual bed in the bedroom was very comfortable, but that sofabed is ok for kids only; most adults would not be happy there for long.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank nyceditrix
GeneralManager88, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Rochester University, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2014

Dear Guest-

Thank you for rating us! We are happy you LOVED your stay. Please feel free to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2010

Heather at the front desk couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, from researching that the pet fee was $15 from $75, to getting us extra chairs for sitting and eating, to helping with connecting to the WIFI! We have a spacious 2 bedrooms suite at the Staybridge suites and couldn't be happier. This is a pet friendly hotel, $15 check-in fee for the pooch.

1  Thank SKShorewit

Reviewed 19 February 2010

I stayed here in a standard room with my daughter on a busy Valentine's weekend and for 2 nights after.
On a positive note, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The sofa bed was atrociously uncomfortable, though.
While the place is quiet and clean, the standard room was awkwardly arranged and hard to get comfy in. First off, there was no table to eat at-only a desk. This made mealtimes tricky as we balanced plates on our laps on the couch or sat on the floor at the coffee table. For some reason, the bed and couch faced each other, while the TV was at right angles to both and faced the kitchen(!). We tried moving the couch- but that blocked half the room from the other half. Angling the TV ended up being the best (of a bad lot) of solutions. I would definitely recommend paying the extra $10 or so a night for the suite so you have some room and space.
Secondly, the staff seemed overworked and cranky. Their first response to any question or query was usually negative, and they gave the distinct impression they were overwhelmed and would prefer not to be bothered, even by simple requests that required no real effort on their part.
Eg a clerk repeatedly denied that they had any rooms available to switch to when I complained of my cramped room and said I would be happy to pay extra to switch to a larger one. When I found rooms listed on their website, she shrugged and warned me "If you book through the website, you will just be overbooking and you will still end up staying in the room you have now." Even after the busy weekend was over and the parking lot emptied out, I was told I would not be able to switch rooms.
When I asked for some light housekeeping, I was told "There are no housekeepers on the weekend". Then on Monday, I was told "You have to request housekeeping in the morning.There are no housekeepers in the afternoon." This all seemed a tad weird (can they not clean any room in the whole building on any weekend?? Who were those people looking like housekeepers moving towels and cleaning equipment around during all the times I had been told there were no housekeepers in the building??) But I did not want to be a pain so I let it go. The result was that my room did not even have the bed made, trash taken out, or any surface wiped for 4 days and 4 nights. I ended up taking the trash out myself and taking my old towels to their laundry room myself. (eventually someone looking like a housekeeper did replace said towels, even though it was the weekend, but it was after several requests and several hours).
The pool was crowded and loud, and only had towels stocked on 1 out of 4 days I was there. After I told the front desk person, 5 towels were brought an hour after my request. No real help, given that there were 7 people in the pool at the time, and 4 others had given up waiting and left, dripping water, to return to their rooms.
Overall, this hotel IS conveniently located and quiet and clean. The breakfast is good. But the negative, unhelpful attitude of the staff and the fact that they were so clearly understaffed (one front desk person only on a weekend when they were booked out) marred the experience. If the young, permanently aggravated and stressed staff had even a hint of customer service training and said "Let me check" instead of outright saying "No" to every query and request, the whole atmosphere would be much better.
Bear in mind that I knew they did not have room service and did not expect anything out of the ordinary-just some light housekeeping and positive attitude when making them aware of things they should be taking care of (eg lack of towels in the pool).

Dear Guest-

Thank you for rating us! We are sorry that you had an issue. We are looking in to this. Please feel free to try us again in the future.

Reviewed 17 February 2010

This is the perfect hotel for skiing, winter sports or outdoor adventure. Its right on the spot to catch the train or the cable for the ski slops. Very good breakfast and dinner. Rooms clean may be a little bit austere but with the essentials. Wifi 30 minutes free at the lobby asking for a password. Bus to Garmich ourly for 3.5€.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 February 2010

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend, and it was very enjoyable. Despite some initial problems with being able to cheeck in to our room (busy for Valentine's) overall our stay was very good. The two bedroom suites are large, and the hotel is still new and well maintained. The pool was very nice for children, and the breakfast was very good. The special which includes museum tickets is worthwhile.

1  Thank WPCCAM