“A disappointing experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Amherst, MA
“A disappointing experience”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We chose the hotel because they would allow us to bring a pet and the location. The hotel's policy is that the guest pays in advance for all nights and refunds are not permitted. We paid for two nights. The room was unacceptable for three reasons:
1. This is an older motel. The furniture is old and worn. The bed was alright but there is no comfortable place to sit and the room is only good for sleeping, if that were possible. The ventilation is poor and the single air conditioner struggled to do anything, and it wasn't summer. I can only imagine what it would be like in July.
2. On the afternoon between the two nights we were there, we saw the owner come into each room and spray something after closing windows. We don't know whether it was a disinfectant, insecticide, or deodorizer. It left an awful chemical smell and explains why we had difficulty sleeping the first night. We slept no better on the second night. One of us had a headache both days.
3. On the first morning, we found that the showe/bath hot water faucet did not work and only a cold shower was possible. This should have been noticed by the prior guest and the housekeeping staff while cleaning. The manager repaired it before the second night, after we told him about the problem.
We found someone to take our dog for the third night in Rochester and moved to another motel 0.6 miles south, at a comparable rate. Then we had one good night of sleep.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Amherst_Mass
towpathmotel, Owner at Towpath Motel, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for informing us of these issues and we are addressing each one specifically.
1. Furniture : We are currently replacing all the furniture/carpeting in the rooms and expect to have this completed by end of the year.
2. Air Freshener: We are working with our hotel supply company to find something more green and allergy friendly.
3. Faucet :As you have noted, we did repair the faucet and we apologize for not having this reported by our housekeeper.

We remain a pet friendly hotel and I apologize if you did not understand the payment terms but it has always been our policy to require payment first as we are small hotel and do note have the systems to allow for payment at check out. I ask that you please allow us to try accommodate you and your pet on your next visit and again apologize for your unpleasant stay but we truly value all the feedback and will make sure we take the corrective actions in the future to address all your concerns and comments. Please email us on your next visit and we hope to have you as our guest again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We needed a hotel that would allow dogs and after asking other hotels in the area we found the Towpath motel. We paid $90. Total rip-off!!! But we had no choice. It was late and we were tired. We were charged $5 extra because of our dog. We were told we had to pay another $5 if we wanted to use our credit card to pay for the room. We turned around to leave because we knew that was sooooooo wrong and the front desk guy gave in and said we didn't have to pay it. We said ok and paid. When we got to the room we discovered it was a room for smokers. We told the guy that it was unacceptable because the smell was so disgusting. He said that dogs have to stay in smoking rooms. Because it was late and we had already paid (plus we didn't trust the guy at the front desk in terms of refunding our credit card), we stayed. We opened the windows and suffered all night because of the terrible smell. I woke up several times during the night and was sickened by it. When we returned home we all had baths or showers (including the dog) and needed to wash all of our clothes whether we wore them or not.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2010

nice hotel with good location and shopping & restuarants in the area ; close by to highway, NY state highway 90s ; drugs store for emergencies and supermarket in the area , all very good locations

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I selected this hotel because it was conveniently located to my work desination and was affordable.

The room was clean and recently renovated. The manager was friendly (I arrived about 9PM) and appeared genuinely interested in my comfort.

The location is close to downtown, while being enough out of the fray to offer easy access from the highway, free parking and a safe feeling neighborhood.

This is a motel, not a restaurant and not a B&B. The breakfast selection is limited, but I prefer to get a full breakfast on my own, so this was not a disappointment.

I travel around Upstate NY frequently and will return to this hotel when I next go to the Rochester area.

I recommend this place to all travelers looking for a clean, comfortable, safe and inexpensive place to lay their weary heads.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 18 May 2010

We stayed in this hotel (motel) based on the single, positive review on TripAdvisor. We debated between this one and the Scottish Inn a few miles away, both of which are convenient to the Palmyra area. The soft-spoken little man (Indian subcontinent without full English skills) who runs the place was very strange, but not in an evil sort of way. My first clue that might be amiss in this place was when I had to pay up front for both nights, instead of the usual taking of a credit card imprint at check-in and a final payment at check out.

The room had a wet dog odor upon first arrival but our noses seemed to have acclimated to it by the second night. The micro refrigerator was not plugged in (I assume to save electricity), luckily the door was ajar to keep it from stinking. We did not know what setting to put it on and ended up freezing our food and juice drinks. There was a wall-mounted air conditioner just below the large window in the room. The weather had taken a cold snap and the air conditioner let in cold outside air. We covered it with the bath mat to block the cold air. The heater blew from the ceiling and was noisy, but adequate.

The continental breakfast is your choice of generic raisin bran and cheerios and some prepackaged pastries, but only one pastry was out on by the time we got to breakfast our first morning--my wife and I split it. The "juice" was Tropicana orange-flavored high fructose corn syrup. Coffee was available for coffee drinkers. There was no place to sit as the breakfast bar was literally the check in desk and the food was in a closet adjacent to the check-in desk. The little man suggested we carry our bowls to our room. On the second morning, he sprayed some liquid (possibly disinfectant) onto the floor from waist level all around the lobby area while we were eating. It was at once disconcerting and comical.

At breakfast our first morning, which happened to be Mother's Day, he asked if we needed to have our sheets changed, explaining that it was Mother's Day and his wife did the maid work and he wanted to give her the day off. I don't think the thought ever occurred to him that it was also Mother's Day for my wife. We said that we would like to have fresh towels. To which he replied that he would give us a fresh towel for each one I brought to him. I guess he didn't get the picture that he was supposed to come to our room and exchange them. All the towels were well worn and of varying shades of gray. When I brought our old towels to exchange, he went down a few stairs next to the check-in desk and stopped at a landing where a large canvas laundry bin was stuffed with folded towels and sheets. As he found the appropriate towel to exchange, he placed it on the dirty carpeted stairs he had just walked down. I didn't have the heart to tell my wife about the towels until well after we returned home.

This was one of the less expensive hotels in the area and I suppose you get what you pay for. However, I have recently stayed in less expensive hotels that were cleaner and better operated.

On the bright side, there were no ants or creepy crawlies in the room. The wireless internet was adequate. It was a king-size bed, which is especially good if you are tall, as my wife and I are. It is in a quieter suburban area with easy access to the Thruway and within an easy 40-minute drive to Palmyra and about 90 minutes to Niagara Falls.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
towpathmotel, Owner at Towpath Motel, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Let me apologize for the troubles you experienced on your stay at our hotel. We do not take these comments lightly and have recently replaced all the carpets and bedding in the room you stayed in and hope you can give us a second chance. Our manager has also been replaced with a new team and we hope they will provide a higher level of service that we expect from our team.
London, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2010

this was the 4th time i have stayed at the towpath motel.
the management has always been great....
i had a minor problem at the end of one of my stays...i emailed the motel and my email was answered quickly and professionally. the problem was dealt with immediately.
i travel alot for my work and for pleasure and stay in motels ALOT.
i would highly recommend the Towpath motel for anyone who is traveling to the Rochester area.
it is close to shopping and is close to the city but still somewhat suburban and quiet.
i will definetly stay there when i am in the area again.
Scott S.

Stayed May 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This is the best motel i ever stayed at nice and clean manager is really nice would always stay there as well recomend this hotel to all friends and family

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank dharacheer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester-Pittsford/Brighton, NY
Comfort Inn Rochester Monroe Avenue
Radiance Inn And Suites
Radiance Inn And Suites
#28 of 31 in Rochester
Quality Inn Rochester Airport
Extended Stay America - Rochester - Greece
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester Airport - University Area

Been to Towpath Motel? Share your experiences!