“Bathroom needs to be gutted!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Towpath Motel

Towpath Motel
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Bathroom needs to be gutted!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Very weird check in. The person on duty sat inside on the steps and cracked open a window to talk to us. The main part of the room was ok, fairly clean, but the bathroom was another story. There were hairs on the tiles in the shower. Mildew and mold on the grout and shower curtain. Toilet and sink were not clean either. No water pressure in the shower. The sink drained very slowly. Gross. Didn't want to touch anything.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

JIM S. SAYS THIS HOTEL IS DIRTY AND FILTHY. I DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING THIS GUY SAYS.

I am out of town for work and have a budget to live on and besides JIM S the reviews were all good so I thought I would check it out.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well kept the single king room that I paid for was kept up.
Quiet neighborhood, very clean room, comfy bed and a hot shower.

Couldnt ask for more for the price.

I will definetly stay here the next time I am in the area.

Thanks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank christoj1969
Hamilton, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

We were promised a 2 star hotel similar to Holiday Inn or Ramada by Priceline but were given this motel which is far from a clean 2-star hotel. First, you have to check in at a window where you slide your money under -- right at the parking lot, you don't even go into a lobby. The person taking the money was wearing pajamas and no shoes. The paint on the exterior is peeling, the building is filthy, there are shady characters hanging out in the parking lot, and it's certainly not family friendly. They have weekly rates for homeless people. We would urge you to find ANYPLACE else besides this hotel for a safe, clean stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim S
Oswego, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

My girlfriend and I were just staying for one night as she had a flight out of the Rochester airport at 5:30am in the morning. The Motel was conveniently close to the airport. Our room was clean and smelled okay when we arrived. The staff was friendly and helpful. I noticed that they offered free HBO and when I turned on the TV, HBO did not come in. I went to the front desk and asked the manager which channel was HBO? He told me it was channel 15. When I returned to my room and turned the TV to channel to 15, HBO still did not come in. But just a couple minutes later the manager called our room to tell me that HBO was on. I turned to channel 15 and sure enough HBO was on! The TV was new also, a nice flat screen. The furniture and carpet seemed nice enough, the bathroom was serviceable and the bed was comfortable and allowed us to get a good amount of sleep. The Towpath Motel was perfect for our purposes: clean, quiet, close to the airport and a very good price. I would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor in a non-smoking room. It was quiet and smelled fine
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
towpathmotel, Owner at Towpath Motel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

The Towpath Motel was everything we needed: shower, beds, and wifi. It was relatively inexpensive, the place was clean, the managers on duty were both strange and hilarious, and the one night we stayed there went just fine. On the other hand, we were stuck in a smoking room which smelt terrible, the shower inadvertently filled up the bathtub giving us a foot bath at the same time, and the continental breakfast was just bananas. If I had to go back to Rochester again, I might consider the Towpath. Maybe. However, if you have stayed there before and you let them know in advance that you are returning, they will apparently give you a bit of a discount. I guess it all really depends on how nice of a place you want while in Rochester.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I had stayed at this motel years ago and it was 'okay' then and convenient to relatives.
1. There was no record of my reservation which had been completed through the hotel itself.
2. While I was eventually registering, a 'lady of the afternoon' was registered with cash and no identification.
3. The 'non smoking' room smelled of smoke and so did the alternative room.
4. I put a chair under the doorknob as there was no bolt or sliding lock to keep someone from kicking the door in.
5. The bathroom was not totally cleaned.
Get the picture?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

The room was clean and adequate for the money. Only slept there. Only had difficulty with wifi,resolved on the last night of my stay. The manager was pleasant and helpful. I would use this motel again as it was close to one of my family members.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester-Pittsford/Brighton, NY
Comfort Inn Rochester Monroe Avenue
Radiance Inn And Suites
Radiance Inn And Suites
#29 of 31 in Rochester
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester Airport - University Area
Quality Inn Rochester Airport
The East Avenue Inn & Suites

Been to Towpath Motel? Share your experiences!