“It Worked Well For Us”

Ranked #123 of 1,274 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Piqua
“It Worked Well For Us”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

We were recently at an event at RIT and had some time for dinner but not enough for the trip back and forth to downtown Rochester so we took the suggestion of our B&B proprietor and tried the Lovin' Cup. It was a Saturday night...early, around six so the dining area was not too busy when we walked in (but the whole place was packed by the time we left due to a show by a popular local performer). We were greeted and seated quickly and expertly served by our server. I had a blackened chicken sandwich and fries...it was good but not amazing. My wife had a Reuben and loved it...I admit to stealing a couple of bites and it was quite good. The decor is pretty cool considering it is in a new shopping center/residential complex with some interesting metal work art sculpture above the bar and paintings around the walls that remind one of an album cover from a "Yes" recording. All-in-all, although nothing to go crazy over, it was a very good experience and given the same circumstances, we would probably do it again...it worked well for us.

Visited April 2014

“Decent pub food, but nothing spectacular”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Given the name, we thought this was a coffee joint at first. After seeing it looked more like a pub, we stopped in on a Sunday evening (place was maybe 1/4 full). While our sandwiches were decent, there was nothing extraordinary about them. We also asked our waiter about local microbrews an he didn't seem to know much about them. All in all, it was just a "meh" experience.

Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Good Entertainment and Food Venue in a College Town”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Make no mistake, this is a restaurant in a college town that is a combination bar/beer joint, live music entertainment venue, sports bar, burger joint with salads and specials that is loud at times, friendly and a great place to eat and just enjoy the show and the crowd.
The food is good, not spectacular but just plain good; the prices reasonable and the staff accommodating.
On the several occasions we have eaten there the wait staff has always been friendly; and yes, there has been a wait at times...get used to it or move on and don't harsh the vibe. I am old enough to be the grand parent of most of the staff and I can deal with it, so you can as well.
The music acts on the weekends are fresh and lively, so order dinner, knock back a few drinks and enjoy the show, the surroundings and just being alive.
This last time we were there, there were two little wallet weevils running around as the band played and we enjoyed our meal. Kids running around...music..food...beer: it was great. Come in and experience a good time.

• Visited October 2013
“Very poor service with bland food”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I have been here a total of 4 times. The first time they didn't have my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices of food which should have been a warning sign they are terrible. The 2nd, we waited 20 mins before a server ever even came to our table and it wasn't a full house even. The waitress didn't even apologize after we told her we were waiting a long time.

Needless to say, I waited quite a while to give them a chance again. They've been average since. The wait staff are not friendly but have been quicker in coming to the table. I went with a bunch of friends this past April during live music & it was a great time. The last time I went which was last night, I ordered the Deep Purple which is just an eggplant sandwich on a panini with cheese. It wasn't great. In fact it was really bland even dipping it in the marinara sauce. My co-worker went recently & they were out of 4 beer choices he wanted. This is a common trend of theirs of not having a lot of options on their menu that are on there.

It's sad because their atmosphere is great, they have awesome metalwork at the bar & really let off an eclectic vibe. The menu itself has very unique menu items. But they fall short in service & lack of taste in the actual food.

Boston, MA
“Decent Food; Interesting Atmosphere; Not Food-Allergy Friendly”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We showed up on a Tuesday evening after a long day of driving and touring colleges. The reviews sounded very promising, and in fact, the food was pretty good. As stated by others, the name of this place is completely deceiving. You would think it was a coffee shop from the name. But it's really more of a coffee shop turned into a lunch/dinner/night club. They also have live entertainment. We had a bit of a challenge ordering for my son who has some basic food allergies (eggs, fish, tree nuts), Simple issue of checking ingredients. What's ironic - in trying to make it easier for themselves by telling us "no" to the things he wanted to order, it took them longer and made it harder by having to go back and forth to the kitchen. The server was pleasant enough and he was trying, but I think he was getting no support from the kitchen staff. I rate the service as poor because of the inability to easily accommodate food allergies.

Ultimately, we had a good dinner. We split a quesadilla for an appetizer. All of the meals are named after famous musicians or songs. I had the Mickey Hart, which was a seared flank steak with a topping of blue cheese and bacon and a balsamic reduction served with mashed potatoes. My son had the Psycho Killer burger, which had mozzarella, red peppers and spinach. We both left stuffed.

• Visited August 2013