“Crafted Coffee - Just Wonderful!”

Joe Bean Coffee Roasters
Ranked #6 of 11 Coffee & Tea in Rochester
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Good for: Bar Scene
Description: Creative coffee culture. We are a craft bar featuring espresso, pour-overs, reserve beer, and wine. We are micro-roasters of high quality, single origin, sustainably sourced bean. Where the third wave meets a third place; we are an energetic hub centered on specialty beverage and community. Speciality coffee bar and coffee roasting facility, bar seating, raw industrial feel from the locations historic WWII era factory. Named Top 50 Coffee Shops in the Nation by The Daily Meal - 2015
Oneonta, New York
“Crafted Coffee - Just Wonderful!”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We finished off an evening tonight with coffee, tea cappuccino and "to die for" s'mores which we prepared with two varieties of home made marshmallow and fresh baked graham cracker (YUM) and chocolate from three different countries...just a perfect way to pass time with family & good friends! We sat bar side and the baristas explained the process - totally cool place to enjoy brews from around the world!

• Visited March 2013

Rochester, New York
“Addicted to this place!”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I love coffee, in fact if I had to give it up for health reasons I would choose to die a slow death. Ok joking aside this place is fantastic. I thought I had tasted great coffee...boy was I wrong. This place sets a new bar for coffee shops/bars/houses...whatever you want to call em. They really know what it is they are doing and don't mind taking the time to explain the different ways and devices they use to brew their coffee. In fact they even offer classes to the public on how to brew coffee...definitely something I can foresee in my future as doing. They do roast the coffee on site which is cool as you know it is fresh, and have a selection of cheese and meat pairings to go with if you feel the need to nosh.

Now mind you this is not Starbucks...you're not gonna find big couches to park your behind in for hours on end. They have high stools and chairs along a wooden shelf fastened to the wall and around the coffee bar itself. One might think that you could not spend time hanging out and reading due to this fact but I had no problem as it was not overly busy at the time. I kind of like the fact they don't have couches or plush chairs to sit in as those places are always over run by folks who spend hours hogging em anyways.

I definitely plan on making this a frequent stop in my weekly routine.

• Visited February 2013
Rochester, New York, United States
“best coffee in Rochester”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I love the coffee and the service at Joe Bean's. It is worth every penny. I either order the latte (which comes with the beautiful latte art) or I ask the baristas to choose something from the menu for me. I was never disappointed.

I take every friend and family member who visits me in Rochester to Joe Bean's. The baristas are friendly and willing to share their (vast) knowledge on coffee. Overall, I recommend this place to everyone.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Kerokan
Rochester, New York, United States
“My view of coffee will never be the same.”
Reviewed 6 December 2012

For the record, I will say that while I'm a huge fan of coffee, I do not know the technicalities of roasting. I can tell you the difference between bad, mediocre, and excellent tasting coffee, though.

Joe Bean's coffee is in the excellent category. Its exotic flavors burst out in every sip. They really know how to roast coffee. Any generic, chain brand, like Tim Hortons for example, does not compare at all to a true coffee roaster like Joe Bean.

You will also receive a high quality experience that only a "real" coffee roaster will give you. First to be noted is that every barista knows the methods that Joe Bean uses to roast, and brew coffee. They will also talk to you about these methods, which in my opinion, makes the whole coffee drinking process much more pleasant. Also, these baristas are enthusiastic about coffee. Overall, they provide great service and take pride in their methods of roasting and brewing.

I would like to point out that Joe Bean uses methods of brewing that are geared toward single cup servings. Their coffee is engineered for these ways. Due to this, since whatever you order is in a sense customized just for you, it will take some time to brew. It usually takes roughly 4 to 10 minutes to brew a cup or pot, depending on which method you choose. (Methods: chemex, syphon, french press,etc.) They do not pre-make hot coffee. It is made fresh after you order.

As far as my 3 experiences have been (poor college student; can't go too much) : I have not had a bad experience. It has never been too crowded despite the smaller shop. The shop itself emits a great, friendly atmosphere, that fits Joe Bean perfectly. The coffee itself is out of this world. I have never tasted better coffee. It is very unique. I encourage anyone who is a fan of coffee to go and give Joe Bean a try. They now have a small menu that includes finger food, chocolate, beer and wine.

There are many more positives that could be talked about, but would make this review too long.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank xdviperx96
Perth, Australia
“If you're serious about coffee, this place is for you.”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

When I lived in Rochester, I was in Joe Bean several times a week. To this day, I have yet to find a speciality cafe that matches them, and they are one of the few things that I miss about Rochester. For a coffee connoisseur such as myself, the fact that they source their own beans, roast them on site, and offer specialty brewing methods like the syphon and cold-drip (and do it all so well), really made them the only choice for coffee in Rochester.

If you are looking for a Starbucks-style drink full of syrups with milk steamed to the brink of boiling, this is not the place for you. If you appreciate the art and science that is coffee, then I cannot recommend Joe Bean highly enough. If I ever find myself back in the US, I will make it a point to head to Rochester for the sole purpose of going back to Joe Bean!

• Visited May 2012