“Nice new foods.”

D'Mangu Dominican Restaurant
Ranked #242 of 1,321 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Interesting food with very helpful staff, clean and relaxed place.

1  Thank DRL-555

Reviewed 27 October 2011

This was a wonderful find. The restaurant opened recently and we wanted to check it out. We went once in August and returned this week with friends. I predict they will do very well.

The food is very traditional Carribean fare done consistently well. They have a menu but during the week serve a buffet. The buffet has a half a dozen meat options ranging from a very good roast pork to goat. The plates come in three sizes for $5, $7, and $9. All in our party got the medium plate which includes your choice of white or yellow rice (I'd recommend yellow), a green salad, choice of sweet fried plantain or mangu (a mashed plantain with some seasoning in it) and a choice of one meat. I got the roasted pork and loved it, my Puerto Rican friend had stewed pork and said he's definitely coming back. On our first trip I also had the stewed chicken. The chicken is pleasantly spicy but I like spicy, however, be careful of the small bones. It's prepared in a very traditional island style where the whole chicken is chopped up with a cleaver. It was delicious though. Another highlight is their house prepared hot sauce, I used a lot of it on my rice and pork.

The staff is very friendly. This is a great lunch place and a wonderful alternative to boring chain restaurants.

5  Thank Diner_Mike