“Best Place to Eat Dosa”

Ranked #45 of 1,294 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern Indian flavors transformed into a contemporary gourmet experience! Pleasant, amazing dining experience.
“Best Place to Eat Dosa”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had the best Dosa at this place.... Crispy dosa reminded me of home! The sambar was just perfect! I will definitely go back!

2 Thank Manoj R

Mississauga, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Excellent food, Cozy place,Superb Customer Service.
Awesome experience. Enjoyed visiting this decent restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sanjeev A
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Finest Indian Food in the US”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This review comes from a connoisseur of food and a big critic of Indian restaurants and I happen to be of Indian Origin.

I must say that I have had Indian food in some big name restaurants in most US cities and UK and Australia as well.

I can affirmatively say that Amaya Bar and Grill is the finest Indian restaurant outside of India. The cooking style in Authentic Indian and the Chef will cook it better than and Indian Mums cooking,

If you are looking for "Great" Indian food Amaya it is. Simply the best.

Gopi J

1 Thank Gopi J
“just great food :)”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I loved he food .. its value for money .. this is the place to have the Indian food . I have the brunch ..

It was 12.99 with lot desert and dal was just supper

2,005 restaurant reviews
“Good and bad parts of a decent Indian restaurant”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We tried Amaya Bar & Grill (a strange name for an Indian restaurant) last night for the first time, and walked away with very mixed reviews. First of all, the inside of the restaurant has been fixed up a lot since the last owners sold the place, which was also an Indian restaurant. It is modern, even chic in appearance. We enjoyed the renovation.

The menu itself is the first place where we were a bit disappointed, and even confused. It is not very extensive, and is missing a lot of the staples of Indian cooking. Tandoori chicken is my daughter's favorite Indian dish, and it was not on the menu. My wife found something that she thought might be close, but it wasn't even related. (We asked our waitress if it was close to chicken tandoori, and she didn't seem to know at all. Very friendly, but not well-informed on Indian food.) Instead, it turned out to be more like chicken sausages, which weren't very appealing or tasty.

For my own dish, I wanted a seafood entrée with a creamy-curried tomato base, which I find in all Indian restaurants. After much searching (because there is no "Seafood" section on their menu), I found something that was close. It was served in an interesting way; inside of a hollowed-out fresh coconut. However, the spices just weren't all that great, and there was very little seafood inside.

If you want rice at this restaurant, they do not give you the unlimited communal rice bowl that most Indian restaurant give. Instead, they put a serving on your plate, and you have to order or ask for more if so desired. I do not know if it costs more, as I decided not to order more.

One other hint about this restaurant - if you do not enjoy noise, sit as far away from the bar as you can get. They have a very loud and shrill telephone, which they seem to have set on "loud ring." They are not especially quick in answering this phone, so it can ring for a while, which I found to be rather annoying.

In summary, the food in this place isn't too bad, but neither did I find it pleasing either. The owner, on our way out, told me that if I didn't see something on the menu that I could just ask for it. Two things about that; first, someone who is not a frequent diner at Indian restaurants would not know what to ask for. Second, I'd rather just be able to order from the menu than do special-requests, but maybe that's just me. Given the large number of Indian restaurants in this town, I probably would not return to this one. However, it is not too too bad, and I would go there if a group asked me to join them.

2 Thank Larry W