“AMAZING!”

Ranked #1 of 148 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play. It is one of the largest history museums in the United States and one of the leading museums serving families. The Strong houses the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play and is home to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, the National Toy Hall of Fame, the World Video Game Hall of Fame, the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, the Woodbury School, and the American Journal of Play. Together, these enable a multifaceted array of research, exhibition, and other interpretive and educational activities that serve a diverse audience of adults, families, children, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others around the globe.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Arrived at 10am and family had to literally pull me out of the place at 4pm. We could have easily spent a few more hours there. So well designed to keep the kids and adults engaged. Plenty to see and do all day. Those complaining about having to pay extra to play pin ball and video games in the museum special exhibit, give me a break. Where else can you pay $0.20 cents to play these games and have so much too choose from? Food options are plenty and prices are so reasonable it was shocking. Traveled a long distance to visit this museum and would do it again next time I am anywhere near the area. Toy Hall of Fame and 2nd floor look back in time was an added bonus that was so enjoyable.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Besides hands-on experiences for kids, this place is great even for grandparents. Very nostalgic!!
Worthwhile for all ages.

1  Thank 18FPHD
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We travelled to Rochester just to visit this museum and it did not disappoint. There is plenty to explore for kids and parents. It is a very kid friendly place with strollers you can borrow. We spent about 4 hours at the museum but we would have stayed longer if the kids were not tired. We especially enjoyed shopping at the Seasame Street Supermarket. The food court has a decent variety of food options without increased/inflated prices.

Downside: I didn't like how our admission did not cover all the activities. If you want to ride the train, carousel or play all the arcade games, you have to spend extra.

Tip: There are a few arcade games that are FREE, you'll have to search for them.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My son couldn't wait to go here again (in fact he specifically asked to go to "that museum" again) and since we live out of state, and hadn't been since he was MUCH younger, I agreed to take him. The first time we never even made it to the second floor, so this time that's where we started, but I was disappointed that it was mostly about video games. One reason parents like to take their kids to places like museums is to get the kids AWAY from the video games to see that there is more out there in the world, and this museum encouraged it.

My son loved the arcade area, of course, but it took a lot to pry him away to look at the other displays and point out the older computers and classic games to him. Even in other display areas the museum had various arcade games strategically placed so that for kids the electronic games were the highlight of that area? Why?

Thankfully, what my son really wanted to do was downstairs. We went through the Sesame Street area, and cruised by the "little kid" stuff, but even at 11-years-old my kid's favorite area is... Wegmans. Oh the irony! He whines and moans when we go grocery shopping for real, but was willing to spend a good two hours (and would have spent longer if I had let him!) shopping in this fake Wegmans store, ringing the register, and (once he discovered it) making announcements over the manager "intercom." He also put on a pretty good show in the back TV show area, doing both a great cooking show (he watches the Food Network a lot) and his version of the weather and a geography lesson. I thought that was a great for the kids, but it was a shame that it seemed to be "hidden" - I'm the one that had to point it out to my child.

Somehow we missed the "Superhero" area that I see was mentioned in other reviews. I'm not even sure how that happened!

Overall, I guess since my son was happy it was worth what we paid, but as a parent, I think the upstairs level should focus more on letting kids try out classic toys (heck, my son spent half an hour or more just trying a few wooden toys over at Genesee Country Museum later in the week) from various time periods, and making the classic displays more welcoming. There was a lot of great stuff in the cases, but they were pushed off to the side!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I visited this Museum of Play sans children. Even as an adult, I found the museum fascinating. I got to sit on the Sesame Street steps with Big Bird and Oscar nearby. I checked out the Monopoly exhibition. I got some tokens and played with the pinball machines. I tried (and failed miserably) to coordinate my steps to Dance Revolution. I finished off the visit with a frozen custard at the diner. I had thoroughly good time wandering down memory lane in this well curated museum of play.