“Great for kids and parents too!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 140 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play. It is one of the largest history museums in the United States and one of the leading museums serving families. The Strong houses the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play and is home to the International Center for the History of Electronic Games, the National Toy Hall of Fame, the World Video Game Hall of Fame, the Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, the Woodbury School, and the American Journal of Play. Together, these enable a multifaceted array of research, exhibition, and other interpretive and educational activities that serve a diverse audience of adults, families, children, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others around the globe.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Toronto, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great for kids and parents too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

We all had a great time with our chlidren. I initially felt after seeing the first few exhibits (Sesame Street, Wegmans grocery store) that this museum was geared to smaller kids, but by the end it wasn't the case at all. My husband and I enjoyed the Toy Hall of Fame and the video games and arcade took us back to our childhoods. We would recommend this museum to our friends and their families.

Old Warden, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“What fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

A wonderful experience, I could have played for days. All of the things from past days are available, nostalgic.

Visited November 2013
Oswego, New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Great place for the whole family. Plenty of room to run around for the kids. We have two small children and they absolutely love it. We got an annual membership, which is pretty reasonably priced. We try and bring the kids here at least a few times a year.

Tel Aviv, Israel
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

I think just like there is a question if the restaurant is one of the best meals of your life, there should be a similar question for attractions. if there was than I would certainly list this as one of the most amazing attractions i have even seen.

I have been to a lot of childrens museums over the years, but nothing even comes close to this. there is something for every age, in fact there are several things for every age! my 3, 6 and 8 y/o children could have stayed there for at least 2 whole days. unfortunately we only had about 6 hours.

if you have kids aged between 2 and 12 or so and are in a1 hour radius of Rochester, you must make an effort to visit here. you will not regret it.

Visited August 2014
Attica, NY (A Suburb of Buffalo)
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Fun for all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I have visited the Strong Museum of Play 3 times with my daughter, most recently in August. She and I have enjoyed every trip! Twice we visited as part of a school field trip and once on our own as a family. This place has it all, activities, sights to see, learning through play, and so much more. For children the highlights seem to be Sesame Street and the Mini-Wegmans grocery store. Kids also love fairy tale land and the Bearenstein Bears. As an adult I love seeing my daughter enjoying herself so thouroughly with friends or alone. She can play and discover new things without fear of breaking something or being too loud. I also love the nostalgic aspect of reliving and remembering parts of my childhood, the historical aspect of games through the decades, and quietly observing the Butterfly Conservatory. The only downside is needing extra cash for the carousel and train and the gift shop is a bit pricey. There is a Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Subway, and Bill Grays restaurant in site, all reasonably priced. You are also permitted to bring your own lunch. I also love the hand sanitizer stations throughout the building. The only thing missing from this place is a playground with swings/slide, etc. Perhaps one is there but I've be never seen one. So much to do!