“Not worth the high price”
Review of Inn On Broadway

Inn On Broadway
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
West Sand Lake, New York
“Not worth the high price”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

For the last several years, my daughter and I have spent a weekend together and call it our Mother/Daughter Weekend. This year we decided to combine our weekend with taking my grandson back to college at R.I.T. in Rochester, NY. We always try to stay in small, boutique hotels, and since the reviews for the Inn on Broadway were so glowing, we decided to stay there for two nights in spite of the ~$250 a night rate. We have spent that much in other places and experienced not only a lovely lobby and room, but friendly, knowledgable staff who were helpful and pleasant. Not so at the Inn on Broadway. The hotel itself is beautiful and it is very close to everything you might want to do or see in Rochester (why I gave it a "3" rating, otherwise it would be a "2"). The housekeeping staff was wonderful, but we were underwhelmed by everyone else. Long story, but after complaining about noise (not just the wedding booming under us, but also loud rap music coming from somewhere) we were finally moved to another, smaller room around 11:30 PM. The breakfast was OK, but nothing special -- just a little cut above what you get at almost all hotels these days for free. The person at the front desk was so unpleasant to us that we avoided asking her any questions and just figured out where to go on our own. I think better management might help this hotel, but otherwise it will be out of business soon. Seems their restaurant (which we didn't try) may be the draw more than the hotel rooms. Such a shame, because it really could be a fabulous place to stay if they cared more about their guests.

Room Tip: Don't take room 312!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nllatplay
fdmgr, Manager at Inn On Broadway, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the Inn on Broadway. I am very sorry that your stay was not an enjoyable experience. I took the liberty to e-mail you a personal message and do hope that you decide to visit us again. I strive for complete customer satisfaction and hope you may be willing to give us a second try in the future.

Guests please note: Our Inn features a ballroom on the 2nd floor which hosts wedding receptions weekly, guests on the third floor may hear music from the ballroom during an event. Music is not allowed past 11pm. If you are sensitive to music or are looking for a quiet evening in your guestroom, ask for a 4th floor room. We will always do our best to accommodate your requests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was our third time here in the last 16 months. Very nice stay. Top notch staff with very comfortable rooms and main areas. Excellent decor throughout. They have a real goo locale here and you can walk to countless places nearby to eat, etc. Check out the George Eastman House photography museum - well worth a visit. I look forward to our next visit to Toronto-Buffalo-Rochester area. I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carinac820
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were placed in an large adjoining suite (!) in this hotel in August 2012 on our WEDDING night (yeah, at least it was supposed to be our wedding night...), after the hotel we were meant to stay in and had a reservation with gave our room away to another guest that turned up, without verifying. We got there sometime around 1:00 am after a series of odd events in which our other hotel tried to tell us there was no where for us to go. In no way, shape or form is the Inn on Broadway connected to or responsible for what happened other than the fact that eventually we ended up there (I think we got one of the last rooms left in Rochester that night, to be honest).

It was a very strange situation, but the service were was VERY friendly and helpful in getting us promptly situated and even helped us locate numbers to a couple of local cab services. We were only in this hotel for about 3 hours, from 1:00am to around 4:30am the first time, because we had not only an early flight but we had to catch a cab, but it was great. IT's also not far from the airport at all. Clean and spacious rooms, with a fireplace nice fuzzy robes, etc. We were even able to upgrade our room at a discount and get access to the adjoining suite so our friend that gave us a ride and also had an early morning flight (he was there for maybe 3 hours too) could take a nap. For what it was worth, I really loved staying there even though I didn't see much of the hotel and was only there for a couple of hours.

The second time we stayed was in December 2012 - my husband and I went back to find out what the hotel really looked like inside and out and had a good time. Again, we had an early morning flight the following morning and had a cab arranged - picked this hotel since we didn't really "experience" it the first time around and location again. There was a wedding occurring the night we were there and I am a little sensitive to loud music/noise... it stopped eventually. We were not able to be moved because the hotel was full but it was OK. I would definitely go back there.

Room Tip: IF you're noise sensitive, try to request being further away from side of hotel where large even...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Woodstock, GA
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I stayed the weekend after reading the reviews. Would definitely stay again. Staff is friendly and very helpful with dining suggestions, directions or any question about Rochester and surrounding areas. The deluxe room with feather bed and small kitchenette was really comfy and cozy and very quiet. Loved the decor. The shower with the four shower heads--wish I had one like this at home! Everything is very clean? As previously stated in other reviews, the location is great and within walking distance of many pubs and restaurants. Continental breakfast was good, with a nice variety, be sure to try the pastries.

Room Tip: Offsite fitness center available.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Georgiatraveler54
Penn Yan, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I were in town for a duathlon and stayed the night. Staff to a person were friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable with only one minor complaint that we noticed it got warm during the night after being a comfortable temperature during the day. It took a little fiddling with the thermostat to get it sorted. Dinner in the steakhouse was tops. Beef was dry aged and cooked properly. Sides were good but could have been better, maple sweet potato mash was too sweet and Brussel sprouts could have been roasted crispier. Wines and scotch were solid. I would stay there again, no question.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob Q
Pennellville, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed in a deluxe room.It was large and very clean. It had a small kitchenette(no cook-top). The electric fireplace was a nice touch. The view wasn't so great. The location is great if you want to hit quite a few bars/restaurants within a short walk. This place has some class to it and the price is right. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: hotel front rooms might have better views
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Woolwich, Maine
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The Inn on Broadway is a 25 room intimate boutique hotel. They have three room types, luxury, deluxe and traditional. We were very pleased with our choice of their traditional room which was a comfortable size, nicely decorated and had all the usual room amenities. Our bathroom was a nice size with a bath/shower combo. The bathtub was not your typical hotel tub. It was a higher end tub which I appreciated as I prefer a soak. My husband said the shower was good and had great water pressure. All areas of our room were spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had no issues with noise from either inside or outside....It's a very solid building with an elegant style.

The Inn also has a very nice restaurant, Tournedos. It's an upscale steak house. We did eat dinner in the adjoining bar which will serve the same menu as in the restaurant, in more relaxed surroundings.

The staff was personable and very accommodating, all requests were immediately taken care of and met with a smile.

We loved the downtown location and felt very safe. The inn is close to the expressway which made it convenient for our business appointments.

The Inn on Broadway is excellent on all levels.

Also, the inn is within walking distance to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple