“Maa...probably won't be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Trata

Trata
Ranked #24 of 1,268 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Maa...probably won't be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

They treat you like herded cattle. We waited and waited and waited for our drinks. Finally everything came at once, drinks, app, entrees. Then the server kept checking in, obviously trying to move us along. Food was just ok. Tables on top of each other. Loud! I felt uncomfortable. My recommendation? Go to Good Luck or 2 Vines.

4 Thank sharon e

Penfield, New York
“Excellent choice on a summer evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We took our daughter and her boyfriend here to celebrate her birthday! We started with a drink at the roof top bar, & then were seated in the upper level inside. I can remember going to the Armory as a child, & it is great to see the building used! Our server was excellent and the food (steak, Thai chicken salad, fried chicken) & drinks were good as well, except for the Kobe burger that was served well instead of medium rare. Reservations seemed a must! We definitely will return!

Visited June 2014
Rochester, New York
“trata -- very trendy, and windy.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The dining experience, from front to back was just ok. Trata is obviously a super cool location with so much of the old Armory still intact; where we sat, however, 3 flights up, was pretty disappointing. This particular room had some pretty windy conditions, with ceiling fans and cold air pouring out of the huge aluminum ducts - right onto our table. I think the staff attempted to quell the wind by slowing down the fans -- but the wind still wailed. After awhile, it sorta ruins dinner trying to deal with this, so we just adjusted. But dinner wasn't so hot anyway. I mean it wasn't bad -- I got the buttermilk chicken, which I liked; but I really only got it because I didn't want a trendy hamburg, or salad. Trendy salads are just sorta like who cares to me. The menu was, well, trendy. But not so interesting.
After dinner we pulled off to the side onto the second level as we headed back downstairs-- and we just parked in a very nice waiting room. Here was original armory brick, with a cedar ceiling and nice, subtle lights; the adjacent dinning room was equally as appealing -- considerably moreso than the less than attractive, uninviting room we actually ate in; and it had windows you could actually see out of!!
This would be the room I would request if I were ever to go back there. That's not gonna happen though. .

2 Thank brad4u
Rochester, New York
“Nice place, food so so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We dinned here, early on a Sunday night, had a nice table on the ground floor over looking Cobbs Hill Park. The beer list is very good, and a good mix of wines by the glass. We shared the artichoke dip, the dip was very good, the chips were ok. The burger was delicious, but unfortunately my fried chicken wasn't as good. The breading was over done, and therefore over powered the actual taste of the chicken. We will be back for a drink and some appetizers at the bar, maybe another burger. But won't rush for the fired chicken.

• Visited May 2014
Lellie11
“Overrated by locals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Don't get me wrong - this is a really good restaurant and cocktail spot. But the rave reviews it gets from locals have to be put into some kind of perspective.

Strength is in some of the imaginative appetizers and small plates.

Entrees are not as good.

The method of preparing the soft-shell crab special was just a bad idea, making an over-battered crunchy mess out of a delicacy.

Cuts of swordfish were too thin to retain moisture, as were the steaks.

My companion, a local and a regular at the restaurant, highly recommended the brussels sprout salad, which sounded like an imaginative idea on the menu. But the execution was poor. The leaves were inadequately blanched, with the result being a chewy workout for my jaw muscles and an over-garliced finish.

Overall, I would return, knowing now what to order and what not to order. There is plenty to enjoy here. Just don't believe all of the local hype. Better than good, but not as good as the hype.

4 Thank soverholt